BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

WTB: Quidzel Traffic Jam Assist (TJA)

anyone got one they want to part and possibly returning their car on a lease? thought id try before buying new. Thanks in Advance!

im in SoCal, local pickup is even better!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Always in stock if you can't pry a kit away from someone.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614892.50
      09-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Always in stock if you can't pry a kit away from someone.
Thanks Tom! will be reaching out to you next week if nobody has one!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I would have sold you mine from my 2017 lease but I've just ordered a 2019 i3s. It's a fun little device. Really more of a toy though than actual self-driving. I can't trust it for anything in my commute because the tech is just not stable or smooth enough. but I'll still pay to have it coded on my new i3. Coding is required for it if you do find yourself the hardware.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #5
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I would have sold you mine from my 2017 lease but I've just ordered a 2019 i3s. It's a fun little device. Really more of a toy though than actual self-driving. I can't trust it for anything in my commute because the tech is just not stable or smooth enough. but I'll still pay to have it coded on my new i3. Coding is required for it if you do find yourself the hardware.
Can you explain more on this? Planning on using it not as a toy. I figured I go thru a lot of stop and go traffic and it would help with my commute. Definitely would no consider if it’s more of a toy? Much opinion appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:33 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The image-processing computer doesn't seem like it can keep up with making steering decisions when you exceed 35 MPH or so, and it really starts to get jerky/choppy to the point of tagging both lane marker lines and looking like a DUI. The system also doesn't seem to be able to apply enough force to the steering wheel on even moderate curves, leaving the driver to grab the wheel at the last second to prevent an off-course excursion. It also requires a car in front at a certain distance and lane markings on both sides to engage. Basically, it works OK for traffic jams and not much else.

There's a YouTube video review that says TJA is only 40% compared to Tesla's autopilot function. Not having ever driven a Tesla, I can't say if that score is generous or not. The longest that I ever had TJA drive without cutting itself off or needing to correct it was less than two miles...at 25 MPH in a 55 zone behind a crawling dump truck. On many days, not one inch of my 10 mile each way commute meets all of the requirements for TJA to engage. I second the statement that it is a toy or novelty more than a useful feature.....
      09-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The image-processing computer doesn't seem like it can keep up with making steering decisions when you exceed 35 MPH or so, and it really starts to get jerky/choppy to the point of tagging both lane marker lines and looking like a DUI. The system also doesn't seem to be able to apply enough force to the steering wheel on even moderate curves, leaving the driver to grab the wheel at the last second to prevent an off-course excursion. It also requires a car in front at a certain distance and lane markings on both sides to engage. Basically, it works OK for traffic jams and not much else.

There's a YouTube video review that says TJA is only 40% compared to Tesla's autopilot function. Not having ever driven a Tesla, I can't say if that score is generous or not. The longest that I ever had TJA drive without cutting itself off or needing to correct it was less than two miles...at 25 MPH in a 55 zone behind a crawling dump truck. On many days, not one inch of my 10 mile each way commute meets all of the requirements for TJA to engage. I second the statement that it is a toy or novelty more than a useful feature.....
Second all of the above ^^

Stop and go works ok for me most of the time. Steering... I've never made it two miles. Usually either lane too narrow or too wide. Also anytime there's too much glare from the sun it shuts off. The biggest problem around LA is people trying to cut in front of you. The computer doesn't recognize them or anticipate cars not directly in your lane at all. If they're half in your lane it seems like it missed them and I have to take over control immediately. 100% not ready for prime time. But... its a fun toy to turn on and off every now and then when the conditions are exactly right.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614892.50
      09-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Second all of the above ^^

Stop and go works ok for me most of the time. Steering... I've never made it two miles. Usually either lane too narrow or too wide. Also anytime there's too much glare from the sun it shuts off. The biggest problem around LA is people trying to cut in front of you. The computer doesn't recognize them or anticipate cars not directly in your lane at all. If they're half in your lane it seems like it missed them and I have to take over control immediately. 100% not ready for prime time. But... its a fun toy to turn on and off every now and then when the conditions are exactly right.
Frankly, I don't WANT the tech to be good enough to actually drive the car well enough to make me feel comfortable. Makes you totally ignore what's going on. Witness the Tesla 3 driver dead when it didn't recognize the situation, or the fools sleeping on the interstate.

Shawn
Appreciate 0