Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #397
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
I can probbaly get the chest and body. But just look at those arms and shoulders. I need the gym and the free-weights and machines for that.
Mines the complete opposite.. I can get the arms and shoulders but no way will i ever get the chest or abs.

I got a question.. Do any of you guys take a week off lets say from a 3-week work out? I'm thinking of taking every 4th week off and just doing cardio and may be muscles that I usually don't work on. (Forearms, lower back etc..)

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #398
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

quick q,
how do you guys determine when to bulk and when to cut? im having trouble deciding
im 135lbs (lol) but small but i hate that i still have a pouch of fat and a bit of man-boobishness going on but i hateeeeee it!
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #399
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Mines the complete opposite.. I can get the arms and shoulders but no way will i ever get the chest or abs.

I got a question.. Do any of you guys take a week off lets say from a 3-week work out? I'm thinking of taking every 4th week off and just doing cardio and may be muscles that I usually don't work on. (Forearms, lower back etc..)
I don't. But MW2 and the common cold have cut into my gym time. I workout three days a week and try to do compound exercises each time.
      01-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #400
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
quick q,
how do you guys determine when to bulk and when to cut? im having trouble deciding
im 135lbs (lol) but small but i hate that i still have a pouch of fat and a bit of man-boobishness going on but i hateeeeee it!
thanks

Lyle mcdonald generally recommends 10-15% bodyfat as the optimal mass/strength gaining range. Any leaner and performance can suffer, any fatter is largely unbeneficial.

So diet down to 10%, bulk to 15%, repeat.

In order to be man-sexy, most people need to be below 10%, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #401
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
Lyle mcdonald generally recommends 10-15% bodyfat as the optimal mass/strength gaining range. Any leaner and performance can suffer, any fatter is largely unbeneficial.

So diet down to 10%, bulk to 15%, repeat.

In order to be man-sexy, most people need to be below 10%, though.
what's the most accurate way to assess body fat %?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #402
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
that's a bad schedule, this would be better
day1 chest/legs
day2 off
day3 bi's/tri's
day4 cardio/abs
day5 sholders/back
Day 6, 7?

How come this workout schedule is the most popular one? Everyone here is doing this workout..

And how come bi's and tri's are once a week from this schedule? Is it because the the other workouts including your bi's and tri's also?

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #403
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Day 6, 7?

How come this workout schedule is the most popular one? Everyone here is doing this workout..

And how come bi's and tri's are once a week from this schedule? Is it because the the other workouts including your bi's and tri's also?
IMO, bi's and tri's shouldn't be worked on the same day.

My schedule is like this:

Monday - Cardio/Abs
Tuesday - Back/Bi's
Wednesday - Legs/Abs/Cardio
Thursday - Shoulders/Tris
Friday - Chest/Cardio (sometimes i will do 1 or 2 bicep excercises)

Of course these days aren't set in stone. The combo usually stays the same, but days get changed around. When I knew nothing i thought 1 day/week per body part didn't work. But I was way wrong and i noticed the greatest change immediately.

Because triceps make your arms appear larger i do way more work on them than my bi's.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #404
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
IMO, bi's and tri's shouldn't be worked on the same day.

My schedule is like this:

Monday - Cardio/Abs
Tuesday - Back/Bi's
Wednesday - Legs/Abs/Cardio
Thursday - Shoulders/Tris
Friday - Chest/Cardio (sometimes i will do 1 or 2 bicep excercises)

Of course these days aren't set in stone. The combo usually stays the same, but days get changed around. When I knew nothing i thought 1 day/week per body part didn't work. But I was way wrong and i noticed the greatest change immediately.

Because triceps make your arms appear larger i do way more work on them than my bi's.
I dont get it? Your saying working on one body part a week is good or weak?

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #405
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #406
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude, go here, read all the articles. Better information than the vast majority of what you'll get from a bunch of strangers on a car forum.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles

Last edited by oldaccount; 01-28-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #407
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Dude, go here, read all the articles. Better information than the vast majority of what you'll get by a bunch of strangers on a car forum.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
I wouldn't say all that.. Some of us here talk the talk and walk the walk. Not to mention have years of experience in weightlfiting. Alhtough weightlifting is not a sport that can be mastered, I still learn new things all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #408
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

my workout
chest/forearms
legs
off
back\biceps
shoulders\triceps

I dont do abs ever they get plent of work during most of your work out routines. To get my summer abs I just diet. That's the real trick to abs, it's all about your diet. Doing 100s of crunches wont do shit. Genetics also do play a roll.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #409
aragorn764
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3

Great read, thank Delta
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #410
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post

Time off is a very good thing. Normally I lift for 12/wks on and then I take 2wks off. During my off time I make sure that my diet is up to par. Those to weeks let my body recover and are a freaking life saver for my joints. Once I go back in my body gets shocked pretty quickly by my workouts. Time off is also a great way to keep your body from getting used to your routines.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #411
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I wouldn't say all that.. Some of us here talk the talk and walk the walk. Not to mention have years of experience in weightlfiting. Alhtough weightlifting is not a sport that can be mastered, I still learn new things all the time.
Sure, there are plenty of knowledgable people out there, but how is some noob going to distinguish the good info from the retarded? I'd also prefer to actually learn something, and understand why it is I do what I do instead of because "some dude online said so."

"years of weightlifting experience" are irrelevant if you're doing everything wrong, which seems to be the case with the vast majority of the recreational training population.

Last edited by oldaccount; 01-28-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #412
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
my workout
chest/forearms
legs
off
back\biceps
shoulders\triceps

I dont do abs ever they get plent of work during most of your work out routines. To get my summer abs I just diet. That's the real trick to abs, it's all about your diet. Doing 100s of crunches wont do shit. Genetics also do play a roll.
You can't say crunches aren't going to do shit. How can you actually believe that?

Of course diet is key to having your abs show, but working abs makes them grow just like anything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #413
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You can't say crunches aren't going to do shit. How can you actually believe that?

Of course diet is key to having your abs show, but working abs makes them grow just like anything else.
No it does not. I was in the USMC and have done more situps, pull-ups, and push-ups than I can count. It what you say is true then my lats would be so fucking big that I would be able to fly every time I spread them and my chest would be in the EE territory. Your body quickly adapts to exercies in which it only has to supports its own body weight. Know any bodybuilders that got huge without weights? Yes your abs do grow if the exercies you do have some resistance to them.

Last edited by Delta0311; 01-29-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #414
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sure, there are plenty of knowledgable people out there, but how is some noob going to distinguish the good info from the retarded? I'd also prefer to actually learn something, and understand why it is I do what I do instead of because "some dude online said so."

"years of weightlifting experience" are irrelevant if you're doing everything wrong, which seems to be the case with the vast majority of the recreational training population.
This is why you have to customize your workout like you would you car. Just because the exercise works for one guy does not mean it will work for you. I spent years just trying to develop some routines that I know work for me.

If you notice the gym is like a tribal community. You got our "alpha's" and your followers. Now if you notice the "alpha" is always the bigger guy while the followers can never quite keep up. The reason for this is that the "alpha" is doing a routine that suits his body while the followers are just mindless drones, quick to copy what ever he does. What they don't realize is that the workout he's doing is probably not customized to their needs. This is one of the main reasons why most people can't grow; diet aside I mean.

Personaly when it comes to the gym I think the lone wolf mentality works best.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #415
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:

Technically a barbell squat and deadlift hit your core harder than any crunch, situp,etc. Now if you don't do those types of lifts then you may have a justification (a flawed one) to do direct ab work.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #416
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
Technically a barbell squat and deadlift hit your core harder than any crunch, situp,etc. Now if you don't do those types of lifts then you may have a justification (a flawed one) to do direct ab work.
I wasn't taking anything away from those at all. Maybe i notice more change in my abs b/c i don't work them regularly.

And as has been pointed out everyones genetics are different, what works for one doesn't for another. I've seen plenty of people work their legs hard as hell and it looks like they only work upper body.

Delta, just misunderstood. I wasn't talking about just body weight crunches. Thank you for serving!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #417
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
I wasn't taking anything away from those at all. Maybe i notice more change in my abs b/c i don't work them regularly.

And as has been pointed out everyones genetics are different, what works for one doesn't for another. I've seen plenty of people work their legs hard as hell and it looks like they only work upper body.

Delta, just misunderstood. I wasn't talking about just body weight crunches. Thank you for serving!
I just re-read my posting. I hope that was not received as something harsh. I mistook what you said as if crunches were that beneficial to ab development.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #418
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is why you have to customize your workout like you would you car. Just because the exercise works for one guy does not mean it will work for you. I spent years just trying to develop some routines that I know work for me.

If you notice the gym is like a tribal community. You got our "alpha's" and your followers. Now if you notice the "alpha" is always the bigger guy while the followers can never quite keep up. The reason for this is that the "alpha" is doing a routine that suits his body while the followers are just mindless drones, quick to copy what ever he does. What they don't realize is that the workout he's doing is probably not customized to their needs. This is one of the main reasons why most people can't grow; diet aside I mean.

Personaly when it comes to the gym I think the lone wolf mentality works best.
You can usually tell how full of shit someone is as soon as they start with the car analogies.

Did you mean to quote me on this, because this is entirely irrelevant to my last post. Its also retarded.

Sure, different approaches work slightly better for certain people (insulin resistant people do better on low carbs, while insulin sensitive people do better on higher carbs, shit like that) but people are not beautiful and unique snowflakes who must find the one magical formula that works for them. Theres shit that works, and shit that doesnt. The 'alphas' youre referring to have good genetics and/or are on drugs and will excel regardless of what they do. There are others with shitty genetics who will generally get the same shitty results regardless of what they do. Its not a matter of 'holy fuck I was doing 4 sets of barbell curls when i should have been doing 5, now zomg Im so jacked.'

I dont know what kind of gym you go to, but my gym is not a tribal community. People come, do their shit, and leave.

Last edited by oldaccount; 01-29-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0