Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
Random lines
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)

Cooking Oils

OK I am struggling to google this stuff because i cannot decipher what is real and what is essentially buzzfeed.

As noted elsewhere on this board, I have dramatically changed my diet the past 10 days to lose weight, i need to drop about 70 pounds (actually now it's 60 ). Thing is, i can only stand so much baked or poached food, i like to fry to add a little taste.

So I eat egg white omelet with lots spinach and mushrooms for breakfast, i am cooking that right now with olive oil. I pan fried some fish last night (I just couldn't do poached yet again) and used canola oil.

I guess I have two questions, a) for high burn point cooking is canola oil my best option considering weight gain and cholesterol? b) How much is too much oil given I am trying to trim back? I am eating right now basically nothing but super lean meat and green leafy vegetables and if i cut out the oil i am worried i will fall off the wagon due to lack of taste.

One caveat, I refuse to use teflon pans, all my pans are cast iron so i need more than a SUPER light brushing, i mean i keep it to a bare minimum but i need a touch more than a non stick cancer pan.

I guess I am feeling guilty re. the fried fish last night, it wasn't SOAKED in oil but was a touch more than a brush worth.
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #2
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Good topic that I was just searching myself a few weeks back. I usually don't care about what oil I use but out of the ones I did use in the past (olive, vegetable, corn, canola), supposedly the last is the most 'healthy'. That's all I know. Subbed for ppl w better knowledge to chime in.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep

I was under the impression olive oil was best so use that where I can, but high heat, i need something else. So I just had lunch, small serving diced chicken, lots zucchini and green beans, a bit of red pepper. I stir fried it in olive oil as i didn't need high heat.
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I was under the impression olive oil was best so use that where I can, but high heat, i need something else. So I just had lunch, small serving diced chicken, lots zucchini and green beans, a bit of red pepper. I stir fried it in olive oil as i didn't need high heat.
I could be wrong (most likely haha) but out of the 4, supposedly canola was best. I dunno...
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Nothing wrong with canola oil. Just try to avoid the sprays and use the pure oil. Try to get expeller pressed unrefined cooking oil. Most cheap oils are refined and highly processed which can be inflammatory in the body. I typically use avocado oil, olive oil, or canola oil (depending on what dish I am making). I also use dairy fats like ghee and butter.

Fat content isn't your enemy when it comes to weight loss. Fat is actually your friend as long as you choose the "good" fats. Basically any plant based fat is fine. Try to avoid animal fats, but again having some here and there is perfectly fine.

My last but not least important piece of advise is to focus on lifestyle choices. Make changes that will last the rest of your life.
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-21-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4

Garage List
Quality and quantity matter.

Quality
Animal oil (butter, lard), hydrogenated oil (margarine, Crisco) and oil with saturated fat (coconut) are to be minimized or eliminated.

Plant oil and oil with low or no saturated fat should be prioritized: olive, corn, peanut, canola, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed.

The two oils I use are olive and grapeseed. Olive for flavor and when high heat is not required. Grapeseed when a neutral flavor is needed or high heat.

Quantity
All oil regardless of origin is calorie dense. Eating alot of anything "because it's healthy" defeats the purpose, if the purpose is to lose weight. You must count calories, there is no alternative if you want to know how you lost weight and want to maintain a lower weight.

Don't use cast iron pans as a crutch to douse your food in "healthy" oil. It sounds like that's what you are doing.

Use teflon pans and 1T of oil maximum per meal. That is enough. Trust me, I know my way around the kitchen.

Eating is only part of the story. Exercise is the other part. You must exercise and move your body. You don't need to run marathons or cycle the Tour de France. You do, however, need to use your muscles so that your heart is exercised and pumps blood through the system. Walking around the block after dinner every night is a good first step.

If you are heavier than you want to be, you consumed more calories than your body expended. This relationship needs to be reversed.

Last edited by chassis; 01-21-2022 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We eat mainly plant foods, but I also eat meat. It's a question of proportion. Quality and quantity matter.

Here are some things I eat, and I have maintained a healthy BMI weight for over 10 years.

chicken
eggs
dairy: cheese, yogurt, butter, milk (rarely) and cream (rarely)
fish, scallops, shrimp, mussels, lobster
all nuts
legumes of all kinds: peas, chickpeas, all beans, lentils
rice, preferably Basmati
all vegetables
all fruits (fresh or dried, not swimming in syrup or "juice")
oats
pasta once in a while, there is nothing "bad" about it, just a question of quantity
bread, same comment as pasta
honey
chocolate (small quantities)

Lots of sauces are healthy:

marinara
broth/stock
vinaigrette

Last edited by chassis; 01-22-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #8
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Avoid list:

carbonated soda, including zero calorie drinks
"sports" drinks
jellies and jams
syrups
juice drinks
most prepared food
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #9
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Also eating egg whites is pointless and you are removing nearly all of the nutrition an egg provides by removing the yolk, not to mention egg whites taste super bland. Unless you are a body builder that eats a dozen eggs per day, I wouldn't suggest removing the yolk. If anything try mixing one whole egg and one egg with yolk removed.
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      01-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #10
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agree on eggs. An alleged reason to avoid egg yolks is cholesterol.

New information is being published that dietary cholesterol (cholesterol consumed in food) is not the issue. The human body manufactures cholesterol, this is the issue. Cholesterol manufactured by the body is partially related to genetic/hereditary aspects, which you have no control over, and dietary intake of saturated fats (see posts above on cooking oils).

Shrimp and eggs were formerly blacklisted for cholesterol reasons. The black list is quietly being revised to remove foods with cholesterol.

The above is an example of the nutrition and medical industry:

a. not knowing what they are doing
b. acting in their own best interests
c. acting in concert with large food manufacturers' best interests (Nestle, Unilever, General Mills, etc.)
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's been a lot of years, but I was always worried by Canola (rapeseed) and not Grapeseed oil as being extremely inflammatory in the body. Has that changed yet again?

I finally got my Hispanic wife to switch from manteca (lard) to olive oil to add to frijoles, fry taco shells, etc. She never gets the oil that hot that we need to look at the higher flash points.
Appreciate 1
chassis2283.00
      Today, 11:47 AM   #12
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep

I'm not using my cast iron pans as a crutch to DOUSE in oil. I brush it on, not pour, so use as little as possible but it will never ever be as little as a teflon pan. I absolutely refuse to cook on plastic, not going to happen.

Agree re. quantity and exercise, addressing both, so far down 15 pounds in a little under 3 weeks so I am happy with that, just need to keep going for a long time.

Re. eggs, my cholesterol is not great, i need to keep it in check and I am told eggs is a no-no? I have 1 on a saturday as a treat, also eat some in cooking.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:39 PM   #13
Bingham_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Check out coconut oil…super high flash point. Might suits ur needs. Good luck with ur weight loss journey…trying to drop my cv 19 lbs as well.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:32 PM   #14
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@Alfisti great progress! That’s a great result so far.

@Bingham_M2C have a look at saturated fat in coconut oil. What’s your take on this?
Appreciate 0