BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Ichiro1
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

oil level light and refill?

*edit*
After going back to my car, I realized it was the engine emissions light. Urgh! Still frustrating after barely driving the car a month and a half.

Hi all. Wondering how often (if at all) does everyone refill their oil? I recently purchased a certified pre-owned i8 with only about 3600 miles and after only about 1000 miles I'm getting the low oil light. It is my daily, and I usually drive in eco or comfort, sport only once or twice a week, with about 130 miles a week. I know the last oil change was done just this past December. Does this warrant me taking the vehicle to the service department or is it normal to have to refill?

Last edited by Ichiro1; 02-05-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro1 View Post
*edit*
After going back to my car, I realized it was the engine emissions light. Urgh! Still frustrating after barely driving the car a month and a half.

Hi all. Wondering how often (if at all) does everyone refill their oil? I recently purchased a certified pre-owned i8 with only about 3600 miles and after only about 1000 miles I'm getting the low oil light. It is my daily, and I usually drive in eco or comfort, sport only once or twice a week, with about 130 miles a week. I know the last oil change was done just this past December. Does this warrant me taking the vehicle to the service department or is it normal to have to refill?
I haven't had to refill, it isn't hard but you need to get the engine cover off.
No engine should need a top-up after such a low mileage so I'd say get it back to the service dept for a check. Either it wasn't properly topped up when changed or it's got a problem burning or leaking oil.
I suspect they'll check for leaks, top-off and see how long before it drops again (if it drops before the next scheduled change).
I'd be tempted to push them for an emissions test for peace of mind - that should reveal if it's burning oil (HC levels from the pipe is a good indicator).
      02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The emissions light can go on if the pressure seal for the gas tank is not tight -- sometimes user error not getting gas cap back on right. Check that first, and give it awhile, but have dealer service check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I think you better get back to the dealer you purchased the car from and have the car checked out. Hope that the oil measuring system is faulty or you have a big problem.
8000 miles and never used a drop between oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
jojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 M3

Sometimes it will fix at the next fuel refill. It doesn't always go off when you open and close the fuel cap.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Sometimes it will fix at the next fuel refill. It doesn't always go off when you open and close the fuel cap.
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Ichiro1
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

When the service department took a look at why my emissions light came on, they said there was an erroneous software error. They said they reprogrammed and it's been good since.

I'll keep that in mind about the fuel cap. The light did come on a day after I last refueled.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro1 View Post
When the service department took a look at why my emissions light came on, they said there was an erroneous software error. They said they reprogrammed and it's been good since.

I'll keep that in mind about the fuel cap. The light did come on a day after I last refueled.
I thought it was just me, but the filler cap never quite feels 'clicked' into place when I refuel. My other BMWs have always had a definite feel to being correctly closed unlike the i8.