BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

i8 Roadster First Editions

According to BMW, the first 200 i8 Roadsters off the line will be special "First Edition" vehicles with custom tweaks...

Anyone here snag one?

I've had a paid reservation with my dealer for over a year and a half, she called me after locking in my order on the first day the process opened (Feb 1) and, after checking, I didn't get a First Edition. It was suggested that they may have gone to celebrities, etc.

In fact, only a couple of weeks before my order got locked down, I sent a message to an established contact at BMWNA and asked if they knew of any process etc to get one of the First Editions. I was told "no" and nothing had even been pre-allocted at that point. I was told no one knew anything about the process.

Its NOT that I'm upset or anything. In fact, there's much to be said about NOT getting one of the first cars off the line...

But it makes you wonder. If a VERY loyal BMW customer (X6M, M6, M4 Individual), who gets their order in the queue as soon as it opens, is NOT getting one of these then WHO are they going to?

Again, I'm not complaining, or even disappointed, just wondering if BMW actually intends that these types of First Editions should only be going to celebrities. (If that truly is the case)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:18 AM   #2
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

PM for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 02:41 AM   #3
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
According to BMW, the first 200 i8 Roadsters off the line will be special "First Edition" vehicles with custom tweaks...

Anyone here snag one?

I've had a paid reservation with my dealer for over a year and a half, she called me after locking in my order on the first day the process opened (Feb 1) and, after checking, I didn't get a First Edition. It was suggested that they may have gone to celebrities, etc.

In fact, only a couple of weeks before my order got locked down, I sent a message to an established contact at BMWNA and asked if they knew of any process etc to get one of the First Editions. I was told "no" and nothing had even been pre-allocted at that point. I was told no one knew anything about the process.

Its NOT that I'm upset or anything. In fact, there's much to be said about NOT getting one of the first cars off the line...

But it makes you wonder. If a VERY loyal BMW customer (X6M, M6, M4 Individual), who gets their order in the queue as soon as it opens, is NOT getting one of these then WHO are they going to?

Again, I'm not complaining, or even disappointed, just wondering if BMW actually intends that these types of First Editions should only be going to celebrities. (If that truly is the case)
I know of at least two existing i8 customers in the Pure Impulse program that are getting the roadster from the first edition allocation - so definitely not limited to celebs.
Appreciate 0