12-09-2016, 03:20 AM   #23
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Any tips/suggestions for installing? I have the battery pack with the cig lighter (will use that for now). I'm thinking of just keeping that and the hotspot in the glove compartment. I know I have to run the coax across the headliner, and I assume the front camera wire down the a pillar? Is that the best location? Any secrets for working in those areas?
You are correct on the wiring runs - it's easy to hide the cables. Also I placed my battery pack and hotspot under the passenger seat since there would hardly be any space left in glove box if I put them in there.

Last edited by fishpond; 12-10-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #24
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

We need to get some DIYs going w photos for the i8...
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #25
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
You are correct on the wiring runs - it's easy to hide the cables. Also I placed my battery pack and hotspot under the passenger seat since there would hardly be any space left in glove box if I put them in there.
How did you run the wires from there? I was planning to go under the floor paneling (there is already a slit for the seat wiring), but I can't seem to pull the flooring far enough back to get my hand under there.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
So...I ended up putting it in the foot rest area for now, under the glove compartment. You can't see from normal angles, so it's not the worst place. We'll see how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #27
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
So...I ended up putting it in the foot rest area for now, under the glove compartment. You can't see from normal angles, so it's not the worst place. We'll see how it holds up.
Glad you got it sorted. Let us know how your thoughts on the Blackvue battery pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
It's working well so far. No warnings from the car.
Attached Images

12-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Quote:
I purchased the 650S and the dealer said that there were no issues with interference on this model. Just to be sure, I taped up the rear camera cable with copper tape and added a clip-on ferrite at the rear camera end. I have had no RF interference nor any issues with DAB - so all seems to be going to plan .

Apparently you can now buy the shielded coax separately online from Blackvue dealers, so you might want to try swapping out your existing cable with one of those to try to overcome the RF issue.

I also added a 4G hotspot to the car so now have live notifications of incidents and 24 hour access to both the front and rear cameras via the Blackvue app - a bit geeky I know, but I like it .
Question Fishpond. For your hotspot how much data is your BlackVue consuming? On the cloud? Does your parking mode record a lot of video. I have an annoying tree branch that triggers mine a lot
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #30
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
Question Fishpond. For your hotspot how much data is your BlackVue consuming? On the cloud? Does your parking mode record a lot of video. I have an annoying tree branch that triggers mine a lot
You only use data when you access your Blackvue camera via the mobile app using the cloud option. It doesn't use data as it records... it's only when you either want to stream the live camera feed, or if you want to view one of your recorded files over the mobile network rather than via wifi.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #31
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You only use data when you access your Blackvue camera via the mobile app using the cloud option. It doesn't use data as it records... it's only when you either want to stream the live camera feed, or if you want to view one of your recorded files over the mobile network rather than via wifi.
Hi Steve,

How have you got the hotspot powered as I see the Cellink doesn't have any additional power outputs (unless I'm missing something).

Would you be able to post some pictures showing the underseat install and the fusebox connections showing which you piggybacked from?

Thanks!
Stuart
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #32
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillick View Post
Hi Steve,

How have you got the hotspot powered as I see the Cellink doesn't have any additional power outputs (unless I'm missing something).

Would you be able to post some pictures showing the underseat install and the fusebox connections showing which you piggybacked from?

Thanks!
Stuart
Hi Stuart

I purchased one of these to power the hotspot - I just connected it to the Cellink B socket:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photos of the fuse box will be tricky as I'd need to take it all apart to get the pics, but if you just use a simple fuse tester like the one below, you can see which fuses power off when the ignition shuts down. There's also a paper guide in the centre of the fuse panel detailing all the fuses and their descriptions.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-1257...rds=12v+tester

You might also find this video useful for getting into the fuse box.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #33
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Btw - did you get your electric motor sorted?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #34
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

In the process of replacing my old DR650 with the DR650S.

Curious as to where people are placing the front camera?
With my other cars, placing under the rear view mirror was great and out of sight.

With the i8, I had the DR650 under the rear view but it's very visible.
I've seen some installs with the front camera up toward the top of the windshield to one side of the middle rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:48 AM   #35
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
In the process of replacing my old DR650 with the DR650S.

Curious as to where people are placing the front camera?
With my other cars, placing under the rear view mirror was great and out of sight.

With the i8, I had the DR650 under the rear view but it's very visible.
I've seen some installs with the front camera up toward the top of the windshield to one side of the middle rear view mirror.
I didn't place mine below the mirror since I would have found it annoyingly noticeable from the driver's seat. I positioned it just to the side of the mirror so that when you sit in the driver's seat, you can't even see it.

Also I didn't place it at the top because you would end up being in the non-wiper zone of the windscreen which would defeat the objective of the camera if it rained or if the screen was dirty.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #36
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Quote:
I didn't place mine below the mirror since I would have found it annoyingly noticeable from the driver's seat. I positioned it just to the side of the mirror so that when you sit in the driver's seat, you can't even see it.

Also I didn't place it at the top because you would end up being in the non-wiper zone of the windscreen which would defeat the objective of the camera if it rained or if the screen was dirty.
Thx for the reply.
I did end up placing just below the mirror. I got it positioned flat against the mirror casing so it's a lot higher than where I had my last one placed. So far it's not too intrusive. I have my RD on the lower part of the windshield below the dashcam as well.

Are you using a mobile hotspot as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #37
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

The thread is definitely helpful. Since the car is in a parking garage for 12 hours at a time and stays outside im thinking its not a bad idea for one of these.

Do you guys only recommend the blackvue?

Im also looking at this one. Its much less expensive but im mainly looking for a dash cam for its parking security mostly.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLUK-compact...words=goluk+t3

If you guys think this one is useless though ill get the blackvue for peace of mind.
      05-29-2017, 03:21 AM   #38
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Are you using a mobile hotspot as well?
Yes - using a hotspot enables the best features of the Blackvue in my opinion. You can perform live streaming of video at anytime from anywhere to any device, check the GPS location, receive notifications when an impact is detected, ...etc etc. I'd highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #39
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:
I fitted my Blackvue 650s with the Cellink UPS on Sunday. The UPS provides for 24hr recording without impacting the car battery. Very happy with it - video quality is impressive.
Need some help please I have a valentine v1 and I just ordered a Vantrue N2 pro dash cam, I have been reading that I should go with an external battery like celllink, what’s the best way for me to get all this working without wires hanging everywhere? On my m3 the v1 was wired by tapping into the power source behind the rear view mirror, I’m going to pay someone to do this but I don’t know exactly what I should be asking for. I need to ensure the dash cam works in parking mode with the motion detection.
Appreciate 0