BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #5303
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Was wondering, Sedan_Clan, if you or any of your colleagues will be working security for the Super Bowl?

Noticed on the news today they mentioned Sheriff's dept. as well as L.A. Police will be working security.
      02-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #5304
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Was wondering, Sedan_Clan, if you or any of your colleagues will be working security for the Super Bowl?
Many of my partners on the department will, but I won't. I'll be off that day and I try my best to stay away from stadium and Rose Parade overtime. I do my overtime at the station on Wednesday nights and Friday nights from midnight to 6am.
Appreciate 4
Esteban43733.00
vreihen1615268.00
upstatedoc7559.50
Murf99314114.00
      02-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #5305
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Are you expecting any riots if the Rams lose? Or if they win?

That might be just an Oakland thing.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #5306
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Are you expecting any riots if the Rams lose? Or if they win?

That might be just an Oakland thing.
The Oakland fans tend to be extremely unruly. I don't think we'll see that if the Rams lose. I am rooting for the underdog Bengals though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #5307
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
This was NYC on Friday for the funeral of 22 year old NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.

Name:  NYPD-19-1.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  294.2 KB
upstatedoc7559.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
vreihen1615268.00
Murf99314114.00
rebekahb3132.50
      02-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #5308
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
This was NYC on Friday for the funeral of 22 year old NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.

Attachment 2803960
I'm happy to see that, but the other part of me immediately thought that might be a good time to commit a robbery.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #5309
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Hell no it's not. That's a weird practice if I've ever heard one. In addition, it's not like the officer could've written a ticket for the infraction he didn't witness anyway (…unless he was trained and citing for cause following a collision).
Once on the way to New Orleans with friends we came upon 2 semi trucks going about the same speed, and blocking the road in the process. This went on for several miles (the truck in the left lane was going faster, but the truck in the right lane had more torque, so every time there was a hill it'd catch back up).

My father in law worked for Overnight at the time, so I knew about penalties for trucks speeding, so I figured I'd just pass on the right when the opportunity presented itself.

I got into the right lane, and when the next long on-ramp came I used it to pass the trucks on the right.

20 miles or so down the Interstate I get pulled over by an angry police officer threatening to take me to jail for driving recklessly on the shoulder. He had me out on the highway while he spoke to the other people in the car as well. I honestly had no idea what was going on.

When I finally figured it out I explained my side of the story, he took my license (thinking I'd have no fun in New Orleans without it), and let me go.

Since that time I have read that in such cases both parties must go to court, and it seems like what the officer did by taking the witness' side, and my license, was illegal.

1. Was what I did illegal (using the onramp to pass)? It was a LONG on-ramp.
2. Was the HP in the right to take my license?
3. Can a police officer take a witness' side without seeing it happen?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #5310
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
Hell no it's not. That's a weird practice if I've ever heard one. In addition, it's not like the officer could've written a ticket for the infraction he didn't witness anyway (…unless he was trained and citing for cause following a collision).
Once on the way to New Orleans with friends we came upon 2 semi trucks going about the same speed, and blocking the road in the process. This went on for several miles (the truck in the left lane was going faster, but the truck in the right lane had more torque, so every time there was a hill it'd catch back up).

My father in law worked for Overnight at the time, so I knew about penalties for trucks speeding, so I figured I'd just pass on the right when the opportunity presented itself.

I got into the right lane, and when the next long on-ramp came I used it to pass the trucks on the right.

20 miles or so down the Interstate I get pulled over by an angry police officer threatening to take me to jail for driving recklessly on the shoulder. He had me out on the highway while he spoke to the other people in the car as well. I honestly had no idea what was going on.

When I finally figured it out I explained my side of the story, he took my license (thinking I'd have no fun in New Orleans without it), and let me go.

Since that time I have read that in such cases both parties must go to court, and it seems like what the officer did by taking the witness' side, and my license, was illegal.

1. Was what I did illegal (using the onramp to pass)? It was a LONG on-ramp.
2. Was the HP in the right to take my license?
3. Can a police officer take a witness' side without seeing it happen?
Ok I'll break this down.

First a little education about trucks. Most 53'/74' semi-trucks are governed at/around 65-mph, so understand that they don't really have what I would call "passing power", especially when you consider their laden weight.

1. Yes, passing on the right in the manner you did is illegal. That could've caused a major collision had somebody being in the right place at the wrong time.
  2. I'm not sure about Louisiana law, but here in California we generally do not confiscate licenses on scene unless it's related to a DUI or I request a DMV retest of the driver following a traffic collision. The Highway Patrolman may have that authority in Louisiana.
  3. Yes, a traffic trained officer can cite for cause or determine cause based on the statements made by the parties involved, independent witnesses, his/her own observations and the physical evidence at the scene. Based on what you stated, he saw you drive on the shoulder?!?! He didn't really need statements from anybody else.
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13862.50
upstatedoc7559.50
Murf99314114.00
      02-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #5311
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
[*]Yes, passing on the right in the manner you did is illegal. That could've caused a major collision had somebody being in the right place at the wrong time.
Understood, that's reasonable.

Quote:
[*]Yes, a traffic trained officer can cite for cause or determine cause based on the statements made by the parties involved, independent witnesses, his/her own observations and the physical evidence at the scene. Based on what you stated, he saw you drive on the shoulder?!?! He didn't really need statements from anybody else.[/list]
He didn't see me, he was 20 miles down the Interstate. He took someone's word for it. If that's legal, I'm being reminded of why I don't like the law.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
jjasonSU194.00
      02-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #5312
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic
Quote:
Yes, a traffic trained officer can cite for cause or determine cause based on the statements made by the parties involved, independent witnesses, his/her own observations and the physical evidence at the scene. Based on what you stated, he saw you drive on the shoulder?!?! He didn't really need statements from anybody else.
He didn't see me, he was 20 miles down the Interstate. He took someone's word for it. If that's legal, I'm being reminded of why I don't like the law.
Well I can't speak on Louisiana law as vehicle and penal code laws vary state to state. In California we would not do that.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
Murf99314114.00
      02-03-2022, 04:50 PM   #5313
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
If that's legal, I'm being reminded of why I don't like the law.
You don't like the law because you broke the law? I'm no angel but I'll take my lumps if deserved. Grow up.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #5314
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
You don't like the law because you broke the law? I'm no angel but I'll take my lumps if deserved. Grow up.
No sir, you misunderstand.

I feel like if someone reports you for reckless driving you should at least have the opportunity to explain yourself before you are convicted on the side of the road. I believe that's what court/trial is for. But this officer didn't want to hear my side of the story, he just took my license and sent me on my way, based on someone else's observation.

If this is indeed the way it is, then anyone could say anything and have you pulled over for it, which doesn't seem legal, or correct to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #5315
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
[*]I'm not sure about Louisiana law, but here in California we generally do not confiscate licenses on scene unless it's related to a DUI or I request a DMV retest of the driver following a traffic collision. The Highway Patrolman may have that authority in Louisiana.
Don't quote me on this, but I recall reading that some states confiscate licenses for traffic infractions. They issue the motorist a receipt for surrender, which is used as a proxy license until after a court appearance.....
      02-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #5316
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I recall reading that some states confiscate licenses for traffic infractions. They issue the motorist a receipt for surrender, which is used as a proxy license until after a court appearance.....
It may have been that in my case. The state was Mississippi. The officer told me to be on my way, and keep it on 75 (the speed limit was 70), which I thought was odd. I guess he had some idea in his head that I was in a super hurry (I wasn't). He even said "New Orleans will be there."

I called and spoke with the clerk of court and they agreed to send me my license back without an infraction, but if I did get an infraction in that state within 90 days then I'd have to appear in court.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #5317
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The other thread got me thinking about something that happened to me. When we were with the RV I ended up in the middle of the bronx with a 20’+ truck and 32’ trailer. Also I had just picked up this bigger truck and trailer maybe a week or so before. I was driving around and around on these narrow ass streets with cars parked everywhere, I’m having a nervous break down, my gf is freaking out, people are the street are like WTF kinda bus is that!??

The issue was everywhere we turned there was an underpass that was too low for us. We tried asking for direction, but once we said no underpass everyone drew a blank. We were at this for I dunno, an hour, maybe, it felt like an eternity and I couldn’t stop anywhere for more than a few seconds because I would be blocking traffic and people would go nuts.

At some point the thought crossed my mind… fuck it… I’m just stopping right here and let the cops come, maybe they can tell me how the hell to get out of here. Luckily I managed to get out, but I’m curious what would have happened if I had gone that route? Would they have gotten me out? Would they have found a big ass tow truck and towed me? Would they have given me a ticket and left me in the middle of the street?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #5318
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
When we were with the RV I ended up in the middle of the bronx with a 20’+ truck and 32’ trailer.
Luckily I managed to get out, but I’m curious what would have happened if I had gone that route? Would they have gotten me out? Would they have found a big ass tow truck and towed me? Would they have given me a ticket and left me in the middle of the street?
NYPD for a traffic problem in the Bronx? Unless you struck an overpass, they probably wouldn't even notice!

Seriously, trucks/trailers/busses are not allowed on *any Parkways in NY State due to low bridges. About 2/3 of the major through-roads in the NYC area are Parkways. Many have low-hanging bars and chains over entrance ramps, to wake up truck drivers before they enter and whack a bridge. It seems that every day, there's a TV news story about a truck jamming a Parkway for hours because it got stuck under a bridge despite all of the warning equipment and signs.

This Parkway traffic jam brought to you by Robert Moses.....
      02-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #5319
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
NYPD for a traffic problem in the Bronx? Unless you struck an overpass, they probably wouldn't even notice!

Seriously, trucks/trailers/busses are not allowed on *any Parkways in NY State due to low bridges. About 2/3 of the major through-roads in the NYC area are Parkways. Many have low-hanging bars and chains over entrance ramps, to wake up truck drivers before they enter and whack a bridge. It seems that every day, there's a TV news story about a truck jamming a Parkway for hours because it got stuck under a bridge despite all of the warning equipment and signs.

This Parkway traffic jam brought to you by Robert Moses.....
Oh believe me I had no desire to be there. We were going to Maine. I figured I could take I95 straight up there… oh nay nay!!

Right after like VA it became a total cluster fuck. We were following the GPS and were on what seemed like a fairly large highway after crossing a bridge which probably cost us $100. Then out of nowhere we see a sign on the hwy of low clearance like 10’ or 11'. I’m like 11 and change so I get worried with anything under 12’. So I had no choice but to get off the hwy.

This was a few years ago so I’m sure my memory is no exact. I think it was the bronx. I think I remember seeing a sign for the bronx zoo or something, but who knows.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #5320
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It definitely sounds like you crossed the George Washington Bridge, were on the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) north, and somehow exited onto either the Bronx River PARKWAY (no trucks/trailers) or the Hutchinson River PARKWAY (no trucks/trailers). If you were following a non-truck-specific GPS, I'd put my money on the Hutch, since Google and other car-centric GPS units prefer the Hutch and Merritt Parkways over the parallel I-95 into Connecticut and on to Boston and points north.

FWIW, I don't live anywhere near the city, but used to have to tow my enclosed race car hauler through there several weekends per year.....
      02-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #5321
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Oh believe me I had no desire to be there. We were going to Maine. I figured I could take I95 straight up there… oh nay nay!!

Right after like VA it became a total cluster fuck. We were following the GPS and were on what seemed like a fairly large highway after crossing a bridge which probably cost us $100. Then out of nowhere we see a sign on the hwy of low clearance like 10’ or 11'. I’m like 11 and change so I get worried with anything under 12’. So I had no choice but to get off the hwy.

This was a few years ago so I’m sure my memory is no exact. I think it was the bronx. I think I remember seeing a sign for the bronx zoo or something, but who knows.
You have to make sure your settings on your GPS are for commercial or large vehicles especially when travelling anywhere north of DC. Lots of road restrictions on vehicles. Even with a good GPS the entrances to them can be very confusing. I'm willing to bet it happened just as vreihen16 described.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #5322
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
You have to make sure your settings on your GPS are for commercial or large vehicles especially when travelling anywhere north of DC. Lots of road restrictions on vehicles. Even with a good GPS the entrances to them can be very confusing. I'm willing to bet it happened just as vreihen16 described.
Yeah we tried downloading apps after the fact when we were already in the shit but didn't help at that point. I guess I had just never needed it until then and honestly never needed after. We don't tend to go to cities or craziness like that. Would never take that route again. Luckily coming back we went a totally different way and had no issues.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #5323
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"Motorized cycles" require a helmet? Dude went cruising down major thoroughfare on his bike with an electric motor doing 25-30
      02-05-2022, 09:23 PM   #5324
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah we tried downloading apps after the fact when we were already in the shit but didn't help at that point. I guess I had just never needed it until then and honestly never needed after. We don't tend to go to cities or craziness like that. Would never take that route again. Luckily coming back we went a totally different way and had no issues.
Yeah, unless you live in the area it can be super confusing in just a regular car. People also haul ass around you. Smart move avoiding it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00