BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-27-2023, 11:20 AM   #89
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I think people just love using the word frunk. While it may vary by Tesla model, there is plenty of room underneath the iX cargo which is probably equivalent to the same amount of space (or more) in the Tesla frunks.
There is also room under the Tesla 3/Y cargo area in addition to the frunks. In fact, that space in Teslas is larger and better functionally shaped. In a Tesla 3, I can fit a small carry on luggage there - in the Model Y it fits a full size carry on. The iX space can only fit an odd backpack or duffle.

Additionally, when you are on a road trip, the cargo area is likely to be packed full. It is difficult to access the under cargo area. Something like a charger would be more conveniently accessed in the frunk area.
Appreciate 2
exxxviii1324.00
Bevforme130.00
      09-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #90
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Regarding the ongoing frunk angst, my X5 didn't have one either. Because all the stuff that made the car go was located in that area. The equipment under the hood of the iX seems to fill that same role. And the space saved (by not occupying it with a non-climatized, often not-very-well-sealed, have-to-get-out-of-the-car-to-access) was transferred to the interior of the car, where people are located. And not just the cross-space in the front floor, but increased legroom in the front and back, and a more open cabin, perceived and actual. So I like the space distribution in the iX where it is, and manufacturers are apparently following suit in their EV models, because several have cropped up minus the frunk, which seems to be a singular Tesla legacy. Engineers take note - for my money, put storage and human space in the car, where it is readily accessible, heated and cooled, and actually usable.
Appreciate 3
      09-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #91
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Regarding the ongoing frunk angst, my X5 didn't have one either. Because all the stuff that made the car go was located in that area. The equipment under the hood of the iX seems to fill that same role. And the space saved (by not occupying it with a non-climatized, often not-very-well-sealed, have-to-get-out-of-the-car-to-access) was transferred to the interior of the car, where people are located. And not just the cross-space in the front floor, but increased legroom in the front and back, and a more open cabin, perceived and actual. So I like the space distribution in the iX where it is, and manufacturers are apparently following suit in their EV models, because several have cropped up minus the frunk, which seems to be a singular Tesla legacy. Engineers take note - for my money, put storage and human space in the car, where it is readily accessible, heated and cooled, and actually usable.
First, Tesla didn't invent the frunk. However, I theorize that Tesla did make significant investments in engineering/packaging of components to create large and unusual storage areas. It was part of the necessary marketing at that time for what differentiated an EV from an ICE.

Unlike Tesla, BMW didn't have to sell "why get an EV", since Tesla already answered that question. Much like my first generation M-class, Mercedes didn't have an answer the question "why get a SUV". Mercedes simply had to make a SUV that drove like a Mercedes. Likewise, BMW simply had to make a EV SUV that drove like a BMW SUV.

That said, I don't entirely give credit to BMW for prioritizing passenger space over storage space. Yes, the open space in the front center footwell can be attributed in part to not having a frunk. But in reality, the front hood area of the iX is a good several inches taller than a Tesla, at the opportunity cost of better road visibility. That additional height should have bought us a frunk regardless. Open the hood, and seeing quite a bit of open space reinforces this. BMW simply decided not to invest in the engineering and packaging of components necessary to incorporate a frunk.
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1324.00
      09-27-2023, 01:09 PM   #92
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
So I like the space distribution in the iX where it is, and manufacturers are apparently following suit in their EV models, because several have cropped up minus the frunk, which seems to be a singular Tesla legacy. Engineers take note - for my money, put storage and human space in the car, where it is readily accessible, heated and cooled, and actually usable.
If it was an either-or situation, I would definitely agree with you. But Audi, Ford, Hyundai, Porsche, Tesla etc. showed us that a frunk can be a both-and with copious interior storage.

The existence of a frunk is an upside of a "simplicate and add lightness" mentality that creates space through thoughtful design and engineering. Cars without frunks seem more like first-gen efforts designed with a legacy automotive mindset.
      09-27-2023, 01:21 PM   #93
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
Cars without frunks seem more like first-gen efforts designed with a legacy automotive mindset.
Agreed. And although the iX is AWD, what about RWD only models that will eventually come to market? You can't convince me that a RWD EV shouldn't have a gigantic frunk.

To be fair, Tesla RWD models don't come with larger frunks - investing in packaging/engineering has its limits.
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1324.00
      09-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #94
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
And although the iX is AWD, what about RWD only models that will eventually come to market? You can't convince me that a RWD EV shouldn't have a gigantic frunk.
BMW would have to move the electric motors in order to accommodate that. I don’t see that happening with any current model.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #95
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW would have to move the electric motors in order to accommodate that. I don’t see that happening with any current model.
So I don't get it. i5 eDrive40 which is RWD, so motor in rear only. Battery is under the floor. There is no open front center footwell. Are we to believe that the entire front hood space is justifiably needed for all of the accessory components?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:55 PM   #96
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I don't get it. i5 eDrive40 which is RWD, so motor in rear only. Battery is under the floor. There is no open front center footwell. Are we to believe that the entire front hood space is justifiably needed for all of the accessory components?
While I don’t know for sure on the i5 since it just came out, I do believe that all of the electric motors are in the “engine” compartment. After all, these were not originally electric vehicles. The chassis is still pretty much just like a 5-Series ICE vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #97
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
While I don’t know for sure on the i5 since it just came out, I do believe that all of the electric motors are in the “engine” compartment. After all, these were not originally electric vehicles. The chassis is still pretty much just like a 5-Series ICE vehicle.
I always thought EV motors were positioned in between the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:02 PM   #98
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Few BEVs that were adapted from ICE have a frunk. I think that they are limited by the ICE configuration, so the cars tend to lose storage volume everywhere and tend to be heavier.

A really good example is the Genesis G80 - the trunk volume in electrified version is decimated. (Amazingly, the electric GV70 has a little frunk.)
      09-27-2023, 03:03 PM   #99
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is also room under the Tesla 3/Y cargo area in addition to the frunks. In fact, that space in Teslas is larger and better functionally shaped. In a Tesla 3, I can fit a small carry on luggage there - in the Model Y it fits a full size carry on. The iX space can only fit an odd backpack or duffle.
Pictures provided. It's actually quite disappointing the iX under trunk space can't even fit a carry on, whereas both the Model Y frunk and trunk can fit one+.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
exxxviii1324.00
Bevforme130.00
      09-27-2023, 03:04 PM   #100
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I always thought EV motors were positioned in between the wheels.
Looks like you are correct. Not sure about the i5, but here they are in the iX:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #101
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you are correct. Not sure about the i5, but here they are in the iX:
Logically, a RWD Neue Klasse should have space for a large frunk.

Or heck, with that much space, what about bringing back a spare tire?
Appreciate 1
Bevforme130.00
      09-27-2023, 03:17 PM   #102
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Logically, a RWD Neue Klasse should have space for a large frunk.

Or heck, with that much space, what about bringing back a spare tire?
I have to address the elephant in the room here. If you’re so put off by not having a frunk, why did you buy an iX? It seems the last few of you replying are very critical of the notion, yet I’m quite confident this was common knowledge before purchasing.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13549.00
      09-27-2023, 03:24 PM   #103
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to address the elephant in the room here. If you’re so put off by not having a frunk, why did you buy an iX? It seems the last few of you replying are very critical of the notion, yet I’m quite confident this was common knowledge before purchasing.
Well it obviously wasn't a deal breaker for me. But I don't see what's wrong with commenting about what could be improved in the vehicle I did purchase and enjoy regardless of its shortcomings.

In an ideal world, BMW would pick up on what they could improve on, and actually improve it in the next version. Kind of like Tesla owners non stop complaining about panel gaps and wind noise.
Appreciate 1
Bevforme130.00
      09-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #104
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
In this forum, it's kinda fun to just speculate about why the BMW engineers made the decisions they made. Don't you agree?
Appreciate 3
Paladin15557.50
exxxviii1324.00
      09-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #105
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Kind of like Tesla owners non stop complaining about panel gaps and wind noise.
Let them complain. There is absolutely no excuse for panel gaps in 2023. Give me a break. People love Elon so much, it’s just become accepted that’s the way it is now. Totally unacceptable.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13549.00
Bironf11.50
      09-27-2023, 03:28 PM   #106
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I've gotten by for years without needing to open the bonnet except for filling up fluids or when there's a breakdown or something wrong.
Its neat and gentlemanly to not need to do that and just push a button on the hood for screenwash etc.
The other thing is that the front of the IX looks like an SUV not the front face of an egg. I would give up any frunk space to get the look.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #107
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post
In this forum, it's kinda fun to just speculate about why the BMW engineers made the decisions they made. Don't you agree?
I do agree when you’re trying to find a solution to a problem, but not when the purpose is just to bitch and complain which seems to be the primary focus of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #108
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
If there is a feature in the car that one wishes was better its ok to vent. Not ok to keep praising tesla. A few on here would rather have an STI than a tesla. (Full disclaimer I've had neither).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #109
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nobody said the frunk was a dealbreaker. Rather, it is really nice to have and disappointing that the iX lacks it.

Some of my biggest dealbreakers are HUD, surround view, rear cross traffic, blind spot alerting, phone projection. I can live without a frunk, but I am not willing to give all of those up.
      09-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #110
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
We do have a Genius here and there in the forum. I'm not an engineer (specifically an automotive engineer), but in the under-hood space for any car, empty space is not necessarily "empty." Somewhere in the design are crumple zones, bracing, necessary distance from components and humans behind it. Maybe there is loads of space under the iX hood, not otherwise needed for anything, that could accommodate a "frunk" that would hold more than a handbag (otherwise, the juice/squeeze equation applies). And because any other car has it doesn't mean that BMW designed for it, or that it's a good idea in the iX. Don't know. Maybe there's a tad more safety for the driver in the event of a frontal crash with this design. Maybe not. I don't know enough about the dynamics of the design of the passenger safety cell to say. For whatever reason, the design is what it is, and I can't say that it's a good witch or a bad witch, but assume there is a reason.
Appreciate 0