12-18-2021, 04:40 AM   #1
electron
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

A full view of the BMW iX’s frunk / “engine bay”

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This site covered the iX type approval process in Malaysia.

https://www.wapcar.my/news/38125worl...y”-38125

In the process they propped the bonnet and show what’s underneath it. They even wrote about the process to pop the bonnet open.

Also see other frunk pics and cutaway pics @ https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1856615

Name:  55b59da9e332444e83e9732159cf9fd1_1200.jpg
Views: 11212
Size:  149.7 KB

Name:  27610da448f94f538218e1fba40450b4_800.jpg
Views: 9587
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  5a0f84d549034e76a8509ad58ba71da7_800.jpg
Views: 9568
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  b6a637e6becb40db9d285b6c2a6ae168_800.jpg
Views: 9368
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  c7836477cf20445f93a4fb256389fefb_800.jpg
Views: 10119
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  7ac381fe7fa6406cab38f3194293ee9b_800.jpg
Views: 12024
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  bb169ec4194647cb8b35f5c629c04482_800.jpg
Views: 9580
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  6d9751b24ab64eb68bffddd41e0e5e47_800.jpg
Views: 10285
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  bf87f33fcba34587997bf002b87ad756_800.jpg
Views: 9417
Size:  65.2 KB
Appreciate 4
volodp193.50
thereef5101163.00
2JPW55.50
slampert159.00
      12-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435I M SPORT

Jeez, not much space in there even without an engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I'm not an automotive designer but my understanding is that an electric car give more freedom of design to optimize the space utilization of the car. I think bmw failed this mission both in i4 and ix, i4 has that stupid drivetrain bulge in the back seat and ix has less cargo room compared to a gas engine x5.
And yes, none of these cars have frunk.
Remember one of the selling points of Tesla s was you can throw your bike in the trunk? That's not gonna happen in these BMWs.
Appreciate 5
GuyOh1064.00
siegester341.00
BigHunk269.50
      12-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
I'm not an automotive designer but my understanding is that an electric car give more freedom of design to optimize the space utilization of the car. I think bmw failed this mission both in i4 and ix, i4 has that stupid drivetrain bulge in the back seat and ix has less cargo room compared to a gas engine x5.
Remember one of the selling points of Tesla s was you can throw your bike in the trunk? That's not gonna happen in these BMWs.
Changing the weight on front wheels is not a good idea. Tesla designers aren’t “car designers” so they’re not aware of this fact.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 4
zamboni1124.50
MKJ0.00
Forgiven121.50
thereef5101163.00
      12-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Changing the weight on front wheels is not a good idea. Tesla designers aren't "car designers" so they're not aware of this fact.
Exactly why a Porsche sucks to drive. You put too much weight in the front trunk and the balance is off.
Porsche designers are not car designers so they're not aware of this fact.
Appreciate 6
      12-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Changing the weight on front wheels is not a good idea. Tesla designers aren't "car designers" so they're not aware of this fact.
Exactly why a Porsche sucks to drive. You put too much weight in the front trunk and the balance is off.
Then probably you don't need to be a car designer to make a great handling car, I hate to say this but my 50k Tesla 3 is more fun than my "well balanced " m5 on a twisty road.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then probably you don't need to be a car designer to make a great handling car, I hate to say this but my 50k Tesla 3 is more fun than my "well balanced " m5 on a twisty road.
Prep your flame suit
      12-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Once the NK platform rolls out soon I think we will see the space utilization get better
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
Welll, all of us going to drive an electric car in 10 years (if not sooner). Winners are who choose the best products.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
Welll, all of us going to drive an electric car in 10 years (if not sooner). Winners are who choose the best products.
That's not true. I'm still surprised that people still think that everybody's going to be driving an electric car. Have you been to Los Angeles? Have you seen how many apartment buildings we have here that are not capable of electric charging stations? Have you seen how many small businesses do not offer stations? A future of electric cars is simply a dream right now. Electric cars are a luxury and only people with money can afford them. Both the cars and the stations to charge them. Let's get this electric car utopia idea out of peoples heads.
siegester341.00
Vervain396.50
ajob454.50
sahajesh2290.00
BigHunk269.50
Swappy531.50
      12-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
That's not true. I'm still surprised that people still think that everybody's going to be driving an electric car. Have you been to Los Angeles? Have you seen how many apartment buildings we have here that are not capable of electric charging stations? Have you seen how many small businesses do not offer stations? A future of electric cars is simply a dream right now. Electric cars are a luxury and only people with money can afford them. Both cars and stations to charge them. Let's get this electric car utopia idea out of peoples heads.
It's not utopia. Mercedes is gonna be fully electric by 2030, bmw is going to be 50%full electric in 7 years, china mandated 40% electric car import by the end of this decade. The technology moves much faster than we think.
I hear you, believe me I love the vroom of my M5, but the wind of changes is coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you thought of swapping the M5 for an M3? Sounds like you don't like the larger wheelbase M, or don't like pushing it. It's crazy fun on twisty roads.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #13
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
That's not true. I'm still surprised that people still think that everybody's going to be driving an electric car. Have you been to Los Angeles? Have you seen how many apartment buildings we have here that are not capable of electric charging stations? Have you seen how many small businesses do not offer stations? A future of electric cars is simply a dream right now. Electric cars are a luxury and only people with money can afford them. Both cars and stations to charge them. Let's get this electric car utopia idea out of peoples heads.
It's not utopia. Mercedes is gonna be fully electric by 2030, bmw is going to be 50%full electric in 7 years, china mandated 40% electric car import by the end of this decade. The technology moves much faster than we think.
I hear you, believe me I love the vroom of my M5, but the wind of changes is coming.
And what you stated is all luxury brands. Again, electric cars are the new toys for people with money. I don't see gas engine vehicles going away anytime soon. At least not in my lifetime.
      12-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
And what you stated is all luxury brands. Again, electric cars are the new toys for people with money. I don't see gas engine vehicles going away anytime soon. At least not in my lifetime.
Most countries in Europe have by law limited sales of new cars. No new gasoline or diesel cars will be sold by 2030.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Fuel is disappearing, though won't necessarily be replaced by electric. Hydrogen powered cars are a realistic option for regions that won't have good electric grid distributions. Green hydro (hydro produced using renewable energy) meets carbon emission targets and is transportable and storable. There's a scramble to develop production facilities in Aus and they're being located near existing coal mining locations to reuse their global distribution capabilities.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
Most countries in Europe have by law limited sales of new cars. No new gasoline or diesel cars will be sold by 2030.
7 years is around the corner. Just watch and see what happens when that takes into effect.
      12-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
Akgq
Private
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB X5M f85 (current)

The issue today is not switching to electric cars or stopping ICE engine, assuming in 10-15 years we all switch to electric cars we will face an issue of how do we power them. If they are powered by electricity that is produced by fossil fuel then u didn’t change anything. Assuming you can provide renewable energy for cars you also have to take into account data centers that is seeing rapid growth around the globe. These are also energy hungry monsters that are already applying pressure on the current grid. I’m sure technology will advance in renewable energy since there is attention on this subject now.

The issue we face as a human race is that every thing is dependent on the bottom line. No investment will happen without profit and unfortunately renewable energy investment won’t payoff soon and is more leaning towards the environment than the dollar.

The matter of the subject the reason there is no storage space EU cars need to have extra bracing in-front due to the extra weight to reduce impact at collision . When adding all the braces ur left with space that isn’t useful anyways. Hopefully with new battery Technology and weight reduction more cargo space will be available. Never forget we have the most efficient ice cars and the least efficient electric car. You can’t expect The switch to be easy. If you go and see the early Tesla cars you would understand.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5853.50
      12-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #18
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgq View Post
These are also energy hungry monsters that are already applying pressure on the current grid. I'm sure technology will advance in renewable energy since there is attention on this subject now.
I've been off grid largely for 4 years now and my systems have already paid themselves off. The economics are just fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
volodp193.50
ghaffari461079.50
sward629.50
      12-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
That's not true. I'm still surprised that people still think that everybody's going to be driving an electric car. Have you been to Los Angeles? Have you seen how many apartment buildings we have here that are not capable of electric charging stations? Have you seen how many small businesses do not offer stations? A future of electric cars is simply a dream right now. Electric cars are a luxury and only people with money can afford them. Both the cars and the stations to charge them. Let's get this electric car utopia idea out of peoples heads.
I wish that the two could just co exist and whatever is more comfy for people would win. But today you cant discuss without the idiotic identity politics or abusing people's anxieties. Hate what this debate has become.

Id love to have the Taycan for daily and 911 for fun weekend and a diesel X3 for road tripping and grocery duties in winter and not have to justify my choice to any brainwashed neighbour or co-worker who likes to virtue signal. And I think 90% of people think the same way but they are shut down by the load minority who seem to pollute everything on social media and aplify their voices.

FWYI I live in Stockholm and whole city streets would have electric parking spots, and there are more build, and they are not always full. So it is manageable but it is not a solution for country side. Sweden , which is on the leading edge of EV adoption has all ambulances still today running diesel. Tells you what real choice is made when it comes beyond politics and green lobby nightmare.

And I think EV should be forced on Taxi drivers, city delivery scooter, rental fleets in city, and busses and trucks. THey pollute by far, they area always moving. Personal cars are standing 90% of the time so they dont pollute at all in relative terms (2.5% of all CO2 from private cars). So I hate that this issue of the ignorate is now mainstream problem, when it isn't.

Car companies are always forced to adopt. They now prioritised all production due to chip shortage to EVs. THey can avoid paying large fines on CO2 this way. And EV is more money for them. IN part they offload some cost to tax payer (tax credits). In part, theyll still charge you huge dealer hours for any repairs and warranties. So they just adopt and make great money doing it. Thats the number one reason we will go EV, it is MORE profitable to build EVs now, Tesla showed it. In 5 years all major car companies willl have as many EV to ICE ratio but in the reverse of what it is today. 5 Series will be all EV, plus M5. POrsche will have all cars EV, except 911 Hybrid. Etc etc.

The biggest lie is when car companies tell you EV is gonna be cheaper to service to get you to buy it. Whose skill will cost you more - a grease monkey or Youtuber who self taught himself, or an IT guy with laptop who has to fix your expensive EV? You know the answer to that. Car dealerships will keep their margins by hiking labour for fixing your car.

Last edited by Tallest; 12-24-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #20
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
Question, why can some BEV designed vehicles like the Tesla S, Rivian, Lucid Air, F-150 can offer a Frunk but yet others like the IX cannot. I think this is an important offering for any BEV car, specially an EV that was designed as an EV from the start. I think this is a packaging miss.
      12-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #21
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prep your flame suit
Laws can be changed.

Commitments made by today's Governments don't need to be kept by future ones.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #22
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Laws can be changed.

Commitments made by today's Governments don't need to be kept by future ones.
Isn’t that how WW II sneaked in?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50