BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #155
RPM33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Ppl in the market for one are going to be tearing themselves deciding between a GT3 and a Turbo.
I think most owners on Rennlist say the GT3 is more agile, nimble, and better steering. Some former Turbo S owners say the car is heavy, a bit soft, some turbo lag, and non-existent sound. One guy said the Turbo S transmission upshifts are slow and is a turd versus the transmission in the GT3. One new GT3 owner said the car doesnít have much torque below 6K RPM. However, GT3 typically has a lot less depreciation than a Turbo S.

I enjoy agile and nimble cars, so I would choose a GT3. Problem is Iím down on the list and canít get an allocation until 2023 if at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #156
Bimmersandmopars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I think most owners on Rennlist say the GT3 is more agile, nimble, and better steering. Some former Turbo S owners say the car is heavy, a bit soft, some turbo lag, and non-existent sound. One guy said the Turbo S transmission upshifts are slow and is a turd versus the transmission in the GT3. One new GT3 owner said the car doesnít have much torque below 6K RPM. However, GT3 typically has a lot less depreciation than a Turbo S.

I enjoy agile and nimble cars, so I would choose a GT3. Problem is Iím down on the list and canít get an allocation until 2023 if at all.
They're 2 very different purpose built cars. The GT3 is also nearly 400lbs lighter. You can daily a Turbo S and not be miserable, can't say the same on the GT3. Saw 3 2022 GT3's in person yesterday at a Porsche dealer waiting for their owners to take delivery and it's just very crude. I truly can appreciate it, just not for my liking. Upshifts need to be drug out to stay on top of boost also. Circuit racing is supercharger territory, turbos belong on top speed applications. This is why the GT and ZR1 both performed so well being supercharged. The GT2RS is in a different league of TT applications.

Last edited by Bimmersandmopars; 12-24-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
AlexFL6101.50
Murf99313295.00
      12-24-2021, 09:50 PM   #157
Onesie
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I think most owners on Rennlist say the GT3 is more agile, nimble, and better steering. Some former Turbo S owners say the car is heavy, a bit soft, some turbo lag, and non-existent sound. One guy said the Turbo S transmission upshifts are slow and is a turd versus the transmission in the GT3. One new GT3 owner said the car doesn't have much torque below 6K RPM. However, GT3 typically has a lot less depreciation than a Turbo S.

I enjoy agile and nimble cars, so I would choose a GT3. Problem is I'm down on the list and can't get an allocation until 2023 if at all.
Upshifts need to be drug out to stay on top of boost also.
What do you mean by that?
      12-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #158
Bimmersandmopars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Keeping the turbos in peak efficiency in their compressor maps.

Many people think RPMs are what cause a turbo to spool and it's actually more a function of thermals from high engine load and heat. This is why it's harder to build boost sitting still revving out on a motor compared to hitting the same rpm brake boosting. The load on the motor causes heat. The higher the load, the better the boost is built.

Same goes for BMW TT motors. The further stretched out shift pattern, the better the boost is built and its ability to maintain boost. Also referred to as staying on top of the Chargers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 10:41 PM   #159
dgoldenz
Major
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, JL Wrangler

Quote:

Many people think RPMs are what cause a turbo to spool and it's actually more a function of thermals from high engine load and heat. This is why it's harder to build boost sitting still revving out on a motor compared to hitting the same rpm brake boosting. The load on the motor causes heat. The higher the load, the better the boost is built.

Same goes for BMW TT motors. The further stretched out shift pattern, the better the boost is built and its ability to maintain boost. Also referred to as staying on top of the Chargers.
GT3s donít have turbos
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #160
Onesie
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post

Maybe I misunderstood as I thought you were talking about the GT3, but I think you're talking about the Turbo. Cheers
      12-25-2021, 01:06 AM   #161
Bimmersandmopars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
GT3s donít have turbos
Correct. I was addressing the reference to the transmission and delayed shift point reasoning.
Appreciate 0