01-17-2022, 07:52 AM   #155
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
So they're sticking with the buck teeth grille thing huh??
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #156
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
I still think that once these EV's become more prevalent the hype is going to fade once the politicians start instituting a mileage based tax on them. They are not going to just let lost gas tax revenue just disappear it's going to be collected one way or another.
I agree with the other post I find most of them hideous, the only one I find attractive is the Audi.
But I'm not really an EV person I may be forced into one but that's the only way I'd buy one.
I don't think people are buying EVs to avoid a gas tax, that's not even going to put a dent in the "hype". In my state we pay gas tax equivalent during yearly registration and it's only $100 a year. You can opt into per-mile tax which can save you if you drive less than 7k miles a year but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of reporting.

I'm waiting for more companies to take EV seriously. I think they're fun to drive with the acceleration feel, low center of gravity. There's a lot of potential. I love not having to deal with gas pumps, especially in winter. I've taken long trips and the car is often charged before I am ready with my rest stop. There's just a lot to like.

I want to see M division do a proper EV, if anyone can nail the driving dynamics and not just make a stupid fast car like we already have available, they can.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #157
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pin  View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Exactly. The main reason many people aren't adopting EVs is because of paltry range
The main people people aren't adopting EV's is their expectations of what range should be vs. reality of living with an EV and seeing how much range you really need. Most people convince themselves that 300 miles of range is "paltry". I would ask you, how much time have you spend road tripping an EV to see how much that range really impacts your life? And how often do you take trips that would tax a real world 300 mile range?

To be honest, a real world 250 mile range where you can add back 220 plus miles in under 30 minutes is no real burden on a road trip. How do I know? I've done it. Multiple times. And I've also done the same trip, and longer, in ICE vehicles regularly. The reality is that unless you're headed some place without charging, until you're driving more than 500-600 miles in a day, you're really not losing much time at all on a trip. After more than 3/4 of a day of driving is where you start to lose out. If your trip was already 3/4 of a day, you barely lose any time. If your trip was a full day, that full day got an hour longer. And if you were going a day and a half, now your trip is nearly two full days. That starts to hurt.

But honestly, the difference between 300 and 500 mile range during a road trip is one 25 minute charging stop, maybe two 15 minute stops. In a full 8 plus hour day.

That's really not bad.
Please provide me directions to this fairytale place where you get your 250 miles of range back in 30 minutes. lol The charging network infrastructure in the US is abysmal if you're not driving a Tesla.

I'm planning a trip to Arizona next month. It's about 1,800 miles each way. Even if we use your bullshit math, it would still add a ton of time and inconvenience onto my trip. And that's if I'm able to find chargers along the route without diverting off course like crazy.

You EV evangelists are a bit too optimistic in your thinking, bordering on delusional. I'll leave you with this video from a real car expert in Shmee as he attempts a road trip in his new Taycan Turbo. Watch the frustration and range anxiety ensue!

I don't want to argue with you but this hasn't been my experience at all. I have a fair amount of first hand EV experience so I'll chime in.

I drove across the US west in my X3 to pick up my Audi e-tron. I tried to do everything normally but I logged and timed each stop on the way there and back. I found that I used about 30 more minutes total in rest stops on a ~12 hr drive. Maybe that becomes an extra hour on an 1,800 mile drive but personally I'm not trying to run the Gumball 3000 when I take road trips.

As far as charging, unless you drive through North Dakota all of the major routes are pretty well covered. You can often skip charging options, they're so well distributed. You generally won't need to take a crazy route to get somewhere, in fact it's the small highways and alternate routes that could use better coverage.

For example if you leave Jackson Hole, you're forced to go to Evanston (I-80) or Idaho Falls (I-15) as there is no charging on the other highway routes that meander to places like Pocatello or Ogden. It's these rural areas with highways that are really underserved - if you live in Afton WY and want to make a day trip to Kemmerer, WY and back that's going to be tough. That's an oddly specific and niche case though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #158
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Never been a fan of SUVs, especially M variants. Too heavy. I do have a Toyota 4-runner TRD pro, but that is a niche vehicle for beaches and mountains. Much prefer seeing BMW engineering sub 1000Kg practical M cars. Why not a retro Isetta bubble?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #159
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
sub 1000Kg
practical
Pick one?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:24 AM   #160
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
I still think that once these EV's become more prevalent the hype is going to fade once the politicians start instituting a mileage based tax on them. They are not going to just let lost gas tax revenue just disappear it's going to be collected one way or another.
I agree with the other post I find most of them hideous, the only one I find attractive is the Audi.
But I'm not really an EV person I may be forced into one but that's the only way I'd buy one.
I don't think people are buying EVs to avoid a gas tax, that's not even going to put a dent in the "hype". In my state we pay gas tax equivalent during yearly registration and it's only $100 a year. You can opt into per-mile tax which can save you if you drive less than 7k miles a year but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of reporting.

I'm waiting for more companies to take EV seriously. I think they're fun to drive with the acceleration feel, low center of gravity. There's a lot of potential. I love not having to deal with gas pumps, especially in winter. I've taken long trips and the car is often charged before I am ready with my rest stop. There's just a lot to like.

I want to see M division do a proper EV, if anyone can nail the driving dynamics and not just make a stupid fast car like we already have available, they can.
Here in Sweden we are heavily taxed on gas. I think we are paying around 10 USD per gallon and most of it is tax. I actually sold my X5M Competition and got a iX 50 because of the impossible cost to start commute again when Sweden started to open up again. I drive about 100 miles per day.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      01-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #161
av0789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Does anyone know if there will be any packages or options besides the titanium exterior trim and wheel upgrade? It seems everything is standard on this model which puts narrows the price from a fully loaded x50.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:04 PM   #162
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by av0789 View Post
Does anyone know if there will be any packages or options besides the titanium exterior trim and wheel upgrade? It seems everything is standard on this model which puts narrows the price from a fully loaded x50.
As far as I can tell, the “M”60 will have up charges for leather, 22” wheels, and some paint colors.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #163
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a stupid question. Does it come with those winged M mirror caps? I thought all M Performance models will be receiving them but doesn't seem to be the case based on the demo pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:22 AM   #164
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

In which market is that fully blacked out rim pictured being sold? Don't see it anywhere, personally
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #165
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I'll just leave this right here...

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-28-2022 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #166
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
In which market is that fully blacked out rim pictured being sold? Don't see it anywhere, personally
Those are the 22" Aerodynamic wheels 1020 Bicolour 3D polished buff Jet Black. Standard equipment on the iX in New Zealand. The silver edges pieces are inserts into the rim that can be removed. They are there to improve aerodynamics and efficiency apparently.
Attached Images

Last edited by hugo_nz; 02-28-2022 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
ppagiga660.00
      02-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #167
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Those are the 22" Aerodynamic wheels 1020 Bicolour 3D polished buff Jet Black. Standard equipment on the iX in New Zealand. The silver edges pieces are inserts into the rim that can be removed. They are there to improve aerodynamics and efficiency apparently.
wow so deceiving! in other light that rim looks less predominantly black to me but I think you just answered why that is. the removable inserts.

is this also the 1020 Bicolour 3D polished buff Jet Black?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #168
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
wow so deceiving! in other light that rim looks less predominantly black to me but I think you just answered why that is. the removable inserts.

is this also the 1020 Bicolour 3D polished buff Jet Black?
I just had a look at a high res photo from the press club, and there is a slight difference in the plastic insert design in that they have leas chrome/silver detail on them. Also maybe missing the machined surface at the top of the spoke where it meets the rim. Since these are removable expect to see them on an ebay store near you soon after launch lol. The main structure of the wheel is identical though. Should be easy enough to have those plastic bits refinished in high gloss black for a complete blackout look. It’s a pretty lazy execution for an M-flagship wither way.
Attached Images

Last edited by hugo_nz; 02-28-2022 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:49 AM   #169
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just had a look at a high res photo from the press club, and there is a slight difference in the plastic insert design in that they have leas chrome/silver detail on them. Since these are removable expect to see them on an ebay store near you soon after launch lol. The main structure of the wheel is identical though. Should be easy enough to have those plastic bits refinished in high gloss black for a complete blackout look.
that could be the 1023, the one with bronze inserts. excellent detective work!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #170
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
that could be the 1023, the one with bronze inserts. excellent detective work!
So this is confusing. There’s a closeup of the insert in the press kit photos that clearly shows it as silver (I’ve seen the titanium bronze trim in daylight…there’s no mistaking it) compared to 1023 on the UK configurator. I think that the silver version may be an as yet unreleased 22” option unless the lighting and reflection drastically changes the colour perception of those inserts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #171
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
So this is confusing. There’s a closeup of the insert in the press kit photos that clearly shows it as silver (I’ve seen the titanium bronze trim in daylight…there’s no mistaking it) compared to 1023 on the UK configurator. I think that the silver version may be an as yet unreleased 22” option unless the lighting and reflection drastically changes the colour perception of those inserts.
Wow, yes I see what you are saying.

Some other pics from bmw.ca
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #172
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, yes I see what you are saying.

Some other pics from bmw.ca
That last pic is even more confusing since it has what looks like titanium trim elements in the wheels, but it also has the machined surface where the spoke joins the rim...
      02-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #173
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
That last pic is even more confusing since it has what looks like titanium trim elements in the wheels, but it also has the machined surface where the spoke joins the rim...
Hugo, what color is this? Oxide grey II?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #174
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Hugo, what color is this? Oxide grey II?
Nope that looks like Individual Storm Bay Metallic. I think many of the original press photos (prior to official launch) featured the car in Oxide Grey, though I may be wrong. Personally I think Oxide Grey looks a lot like the Mineral Silver Metallic I had on my X5...
      02-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #175
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nope that looks like Individual Storm Bay Metallic. I think many of the original press photos (prior to official launch) featured the car in Oxide Grey, though I may be wrong. Personally I think Oxide Grey looks a lot like the Mineral Silver Metallic I had on my X5...
Man I know carbon black, black sapphire and mineral white and that’s it.
Appreciate 0