Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

12-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

What are you cross-shopping the iX with?

I really love the iX. But, although I buy a car for me and not others, the very divisive design (especially the front) worries me a bit. It kind of sucks to pay $100+k and have half of your family and friends say behind your back that your new car is ugly...

So I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and therefore I'm looking at other EV SUVs in the same price range.

I like the Rivian R1S but I doubt I could get one before end of 2023.

I'm very curious about the upcoming Audi Q6 but not much info yet and looking at how slowly they've been rolling out the Q4, it will take a long time to get one...probably end of 2023

One that I've been really curious is the Polestar 3. I test-drove a Polestar 2 and loved it.

What about you guys? Looking at any competitors too?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

X5 Phev or Tesla. Merc and Audi EVs are not rocking my boat.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
When I looked at alternatives, the list is pretty short.

I found the Audi E-Tron is the only one I would actually consider.
Objectively it may be large enough, have enough range for most of our driving, have decent materials and build quality, enough power, but as in the past few years, the Audi designs just don't tickle my fancy the way BMWs have.

Appreciate 3
PABrian149.50
AshD100.50
AlexFL7835.00
      12-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: IX

Quote:
I really love the iX. But, although I buy a car for me and not others, the very divisive design (especially the front) worries me a bit. It kind of sucks to pay $100+k and have half of your family and friends say behind your back that your new car is ugly...

So I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and therefore I'm looking at other EV SUVs in the same price range.

I like the Rivian R1S but I doubt I could get one before end of 2023.

I'm very curious about the upcoming Audi Q6 but not much info yet and looking at how slowly they've been rolling out the Q4, it will take a long time to get one...probably end of 2023

One that I've been really curious is the Polestar 3. I test-drove a Polestar 2 and loved it.

Size, Price and performance the only one is the Tesla Model X. But BMW has a much better platform. I wish VW’s ID6 was sold in the states.
I really don’t care if someone says that my car is “Ugly” as long as I like it it’s all it matters….
Appreciate 4
PABrian149.50
AlexFL7835.00
Seaford1147.50
      12-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Lucid Air
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
It kind of sucks to pay $100+k and have half of your family and friends say behind your back that your new car is ugly...
To be honest, I don't see much reaction outside this forum and those car reviews site.

I showed iX to my friends and family about this upcoming BMW EV, with no mention about its look being controversial. No one has made any comments about it being ugly. In fact, my brother-in-law (not a current BMW owner) went to place a deposit the day after I showed him the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
To be honest, I don't see much reaction outside this forum and those car reviews site.

I showed iX to my friends and family about this upcoming BMW EV, with no mention about its look being controversial. No one has made any comments about it being ugly. In fact, my brother-in-law (not a current BMW owner) went to place a deposit the day after I showed him the car.
A lot of the fuss about the looks of the iX are from people who have no interest in this or any other EV. It's different and people don't like change. When the X7 was first revealed the BMW faithful had their hair on fire about the grill. Now you have to wait in line to get one and used X7's are bringing crazy good money. It's all perspective. If you like the way the iX looks and are interested in moving to an EV for your next car, you'll buy it and like it. If not, you won't. Simple.

And keep in mind that almost everyone commenting on it's looks have not seen it in person yet.
Appreciate 2
PABrian149.50
      12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

We have both iX and Model X on order. The only reason we are swaying towards BMW is we know exactly what we are getting coming from a X7 and X5 45e owner. Model X comes 4 months earlier in may 2022 is the only plus side we see with it. Looks we don't mind on both but build quality is a concern with Tesla. iX is suppose to land in September 2022.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Cross shopping to other EVs. From Taycan to Ioniq5. I know, a very big spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
It's different and people don't like change.
I would disagree here. It is NOT a pretty car. It is ok to mock it for its looks. Now, you can say looks are subjective, etc, and this design at least is a lot more resolved compared to M3-M4 but still, I would not call this car pretty - and I have nothing against change. Don't mix the two please. This is the refuge of those who cant argue much - saying "oh you dont like how it looks, you must be old boomer who hates change". Just so wrong. Love me some EVs, think lots of opportunities on this platform. Feel like I can still rip BMW for its confused design, packaging, and image.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #10
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Maybe to disagree slightly on the previous post. Beauty IS INDEED in the eye of the beholder!

And agree with “LittleJoe”. I’m not sure how many who do not like the looks have seen the car live?

Personally, I did not like the car based on photos. I disliked it rather much to be honest and was asking the question “whyyyyy BMW?” which I assumed rather many are and have been asking. As I was looking into SUV EV’s mainly I was not considering it as an option at first. I considered MB EQC and e-tron (the old one, not Q4). Would have bought the MB but it had a rather long deliver time and did not want a 2-3 year old car model. I generally wanted to have an EV SUV because I prefer comfort and space more and more. My current X3 30e has rather good comfort but not so much space. I have always liked BMW’s and was on my way to order a I4 M50 first. I think the i4 M50 is amazing value for money which I could not resist. Would have been cool to get such a fast and beautiful EV. But before I ordered that I got a chance to actually see the iX live, before the premiere. It was stunning in flesh(or in steel/carbonfiber/sensatec…). So two days later I had the iX on order. I will get mine delivered before new year if I’m lucky. The best thing is that the car really does grow on you as well. But then again, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me it is a beauty, a pretty car. So I would not at least judge the car before seen it live but understand that there can be different opinions about the looks.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      12-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #11
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: IX

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder as I truly like the way the car looks. It reminds me of an Acura MDX which I like.
Somehow the iX gets ugly looks while the horrendous Pallisade never gets “mocked” for it’s hideous looks. Go figure, must be the BMW haters
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I have asked my SA to call me when they get their dealer demo iX in. I like the interior enough, and the range, and acceleration meet expectations, but I want to see the vehicle before putting down an order. I don't need anything until 2023 at this point anyway, so unless you need something sooner, you could do a similar wait to see in person, then order. I also have a deposit down on the Hummer 3X SUV, an am on a waiting list for a Taycan Cross Turismo (won't be buying all of them, but wanted options available when I am ready).
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I have asked my SA to call me when they get their dealer demo iX in. I like the interior enough, and the range, and acceleration meet expectations, but I want to see the vehicle before putting down an order. I don't need anything until 2023 at this point anyway, so unless you need something sooner, you could do a similar wait to see in person, then order. I also have a deposit down on the Hummer 3X SUV, an am on a waiting list for a Taycan Cross Turismo (won't be buying all of them, but wanted options available when I am ready).
At my October BMW autocross event they had an IX on display. So if there is an autocross in your vicinity in the near future, that is a way to see one live. It was locked and we were not allowed inside it.
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1307.50
      01-02-2022, 07:16 AM   #14
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

Rivian RS1 but am starting to cross shop the iX based on the reviews and ship window I received from Rivian this week.

"Your Adventure Package R1S estimated delivery window will be the first half of 2023."

This would put me at 2.5 year wait from initial deposit. Right now if you put an order with Rivian you get back half of 2023.
The difficulty I have. The RS1 fully loaded is at $80,500. The iX at lowest spec for me is $95k. And at that price why not just go loaded and bring it to $102k. For me $20k is too much, $10k with the better spec, I swap and buy the BMW. We'll see what happens, maybe Rivian gets more expensive by 23' maybe BMW has incentives to lower.

Last edited by bjcarls; 01-02-2022 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 09:47 PM   #15
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
Rivian RS1 but am starting to cross shop the iX based on the reviews and ship window I received from Rivian this week.
Crossed Rivian off my shopping list because it doesn't have CarPlay.
Yes, I am serious and I won't buy a car without CarPlay.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      01-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #16
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
Sure. No matter how hard the manufacturers try, their multimedia and navigation software won't be able to keep up with those specialized offerings from the software companies like Google or Apple. Having CarPlay or Android Auto helps prolong the usability of the car's UI.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 06:50 PM   #17
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Sure. No matter how hard the manufacturers try, their multimedia and navigation software won't be able to keep up with those specialized offerings from the software companies like Google or Apple. Having CarPlay or Android Auto helps prolong the usability of the car's UI.
I totally understand that, I think having Alexa and OB Nav is a big drawback/mistake but given this is my wife's car, average commute is 5 miles, and we live in a town of 8,000 people bordering a town of 50k, its not a $15k deal breaker for me.

Last edited by bjcarls; 01-04-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      02-05-2022, 03:04 PM   #18
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
You’re not alone. To some, it sure sounds silly for Carplay/Android auto integration to be a major criteria in selecting a car, but after using wireless Carplay in my previous and current BMWs and Audis, I’ve realized that Carplay is no longer just a cool and convenient technological perk, but it has evolved to become extremely useful in everyday life for me and has most definitely streamlined and increased the efficiency on how I go about my daily tasks, appointments, and destinations. Like many of you, my busy days benefit greatly from utilizing a smartphone to the max. So as someone who is so heavily invested in all the functionalities of iCloud and the Apple ecosystem, I now basically rely on Carplay that integration with a car has become essential. I’m sure the same can be said for those invested in the Android Auto ecosystem.

Had an Rivian R1S at the top of my short list but that has now moved to the bottom due to the lack of Carplay. BMW iX xDrive50 is now at the top of the list, followed by Audi e-tron S (poor range), and Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (poor range and too expensive once optioned nicely). If only the Taycans had better range, then to me that would at least justify the high price to pay for one.

So iX seems like the way to go for now, and perhaps in several years, the next gen Taycan will arrive with better range from improved battery and electric motor tech to replace my iX.
AlexFL7835.00
nosnoop837.50
      02-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #19
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
You’re not alone. To some, it sure sounds silly for Carplay/Android auto integration to be a major criteria in selecting a car, but after using wireless Carplay in my previous and current BMWs and Audis, I’ve realized that Carplay is no longer just a cool and convenient technological perk, but it has evolved to become extremely useful in everyday life for me and has most definitely streamlined and increased the efficiency on how I go about my daily tasks, appointments, and destinations. Like many of you, my busy days benefit greatly from utilizing a smartphone to the max. So as someone who is so heavily invested in all the functionalities of iCloud and the Apple ecosystem, I now basically rely on Carplay that integration with a car has become essential. I’m sure the same can be said for those invested in the Android Auto ecosystem.

Had an Rivian R1S at the top of my short list but that has now moved to the bottom due to the lack of Carplay. BMW iX xDrive50 is now at the top of the list, followed by Audi e-tron S (poor range), and Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (poor range and too expensive once optioned nicely). If only the Taycans had better range, then to me that would at least justify the high price to pay for one.

So iX seems like the way to go for now, and perhaps in several years, the next gen Taycan will arrive with better range from improved battery and electric motor tech to replace my iX.
Coming from an e-tron the the iX I can say you are going to be very disappointed with the e-tron. It feels pedestrian and old-tech compared to the iX.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #20
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Coming from an e-tron the the iX I can say you are going to be very disappointed with the e-tron. It feels pedestrian and old-tech compared to the iX.
I’m definitely already expecting the e-tron to feel old-tech when compared next to an iX. I think just about all current ICE and ICE-based cars fall into this category. The current e-trons basically have the same exact virtual cockpit and infotainment systems that are currently in my ICE Audis. I’m really just concerned about Carplay integration. As long as it has that, it remains on my short list. And the e-trons and Taycans certainly do wireless Carplay well enough.

One sure thing the e-tron S has over the iX is looks. I know this is purely subjective, but to my eyes, the e-tron S is far more beautiful in exterior design than the iX. The iX is definitely growing on me though. Those oversized faux kidney grilles are looking less and less hideous as each day passes, and now almost to the point where I kinda like ‘em.
      02-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #21
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Lucid Gravity is another one I'm keeping a close eye on: https://www.lucidmotors.com/future-models/

One of the Lucid Air models has more than 500 miles of range...that could translate to 425-450 miles of range for the 7 passenger SUV with the same battery pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #22
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

I currently have the 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 & was going to wait for their new fully electric XC90 replacement but there's still not much info about it Also looked at the Rivian but they don't even offer leasing so that's out.

I recently came across the iX and kind of fell in love But my lease isn't up for renewal until June 2023 so just waiting...
Appreciate 0