BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #23
VisualEcho
Colonel
VisualEcho's Avatar
United_States
3127
Rep
2,292
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i have no good investing tips, but howd you like the lotus? been looking at those for a little bit now.
I have loved the car from the first day I got it in 2009. But then again, I don't use it like most would. It has never seen a track, and never will. I appreciate driving the car for the way it makes me feel, not the numbers it can produce. I've also had great fun modifying it, here and there, with top level parts. It has been a joy, and may remain so, I just don't know yet.
__________________
Exige | M2
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10290
Rep
8,612
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i have no good investing tips, but howd you like the lotus? been looking at those for a little bit now.
There you go!! You two hash out the details, meet up in Vegas, deal!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Put it in the stock market and watch it double every couple of years. Then use it to buy some super cars if you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
PoorLurker's Avatar
No_Country
1162
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: a bicycle
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Put it in the stock market and watch it double every couple of years. Then use it to buy some super cars if you want.
Seriously!

Wait 10 years so it can double five times!

Then you can have
50
100
200
400
800k! You can get a couple nice cars and a house.
Appreciate 1
P16873.00

      11-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #27
grocerylist
Second Lieutenant
152
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: BMW M235i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Seriously!

Wait 10 years so it can double five times!

Then you can have
50
100
200
400
800k! You can get a couple nice cars and a house.
I see some of us aren't familiar with the Rule of 72. On average it would take a little over 8 years to double your money with the average return of the S&P500 over time.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer25707.00
FCobra942587.00

      11-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #28
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Put it in the stock market and watch it double every couple of years. Then use it to buy some super cars if you want.
Seriously!

Wait 10 years so it can double five times!

Then you can have
50
100
200
400
800k! You can get a couple nice cars and a house.
800k will just get you a house in LA
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Seriously!

Wait 10 years so it can double five times!

Then you can have
50
100
200
400
800k! You can get a couple nice cars and a house.
I see some of us aren't familiar with the Rule of 72. On average it would take a little over 8 years to double your money with the average return of the S&P500 over time.
Screw the S and P that return is wack. I have 114 percent return since 2015. S and P is around 65 percent in the same period.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #30
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
25707
Rep
10,177
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
hookers and blow in Vegas, where you received cash from the buyer.
I knew if anyone beat to me, it'd be you!!
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede10290.00

      11-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #31
N24SHS
New Member
N24SHS's Avatar
United Kingdom
35
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: E Class AMG Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wiltshire

iTrader: (0)

If i had $50000......aka 38,653.25 Pound sterling in hand, i would not invest it in a monetary way, i would invest it in another way....

.....it would pay a year of my daughters school fee's and have 8k to take her and my wife on holiday.

That would leave 3 people happy. Well worth the spend.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer25707.00

      11-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #32
Blade Protection
Registered
Canada
8
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: B.C.

iTrader: (0)

I am biased towards real estate. 50k could make a good downpayment on a decent home or even a small 4 plex or similar in the right market. Make sure you have the right property management in places and set it and forget it.

One of the main benefits or real estate is the leverage that it can produce. Just make sure you pick a stable growth city with good long term job stability and do proper due diligence before you buy.

Many people caution against market drops but just like the stock market the value can go up and down. You only lose money if you sell when it is down or are forced out because you can't keep up on the payments. A good stable job market with decently low vacancy can help protect against this.

One benefit is that as the mortgage gets paid down over time you can always refinance as the market allows and pull money out or re-amortize over a longer term to increase cashflow depending on how your tax situation and cash needs look at the time.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho3127.00

      11-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #33
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullScaler View Post
I am biased towards real estate. 50k could make a good downpayment on a decent home or even a small 4 plex or similar in the right market. Make sure you have the right property management in places and set it and forget it.

One of the main benefits or real estate is the leverage that it can produce. Just make sure you pick a stable growth city with good long term job stability and do proper due diligence before you buy.

Many people caution against market drops but just like the stock market the value can go up and down. You only lose money if you sell when it is down or are forced out because you can't keep up on the payments. A good stable job market with decently low vacancy can help protect against this.

One benefit is that as the mortgage gets paid down over time you can always refinance as the market allows and pull money out or re-amortize over a longer term to increase cashflow depending on how your tax situation and cash needs look at the time.
I put around $51k down on my crib a few years ago, biggest check I ever wrote. Definitely paid off as the crib is worth way more now and my mortgage is cheaper than rent by far. (Wasn't actually a check, it was a wire transfer).
Appreciate 2
tigermack250.50
edm0nd21.00

      11-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
XutvJet
Brigadier General
3123
Rep
3,921
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

^ Listen to him.

I've been investing in the market since the mid 1990s or so. I've weathered all the major financial storms during that time, I've lost a lot and I've gained a lot. Up until about 5 years ago, I had a financial adviser/broker at Morgan Stanley. I researched, read a couple of simple investing books, and learned that having an financial adviser/broker was a total waste (for me).

For most investors with sub $2M portfolios, investing is very simple. Warren Buffett's 15-minute Retirement Plan is KEY, spot on, and incredibly simple, and you will consistently beat most every financial adviser/broker recommendation over the long term.

"My advice to the trustee could not be more simple: Put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund. I believe the trust's long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors -- whether pension funds, institutions, or individuals -- who employ high-fee managers." - Warren Buffett

^This is all you need to do right now with $50K.

Most of my money (about 70%) is in Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX) ("S&P 500 index fund"), 15% in stock (mostly Berkshire Class B), government bond funds (~10%), and the remainder in other types of low fee Vanguard index funds.

You really need to get your butt in gear planning for retirement because you're miles behind where you should be. Someone who is 49 should have around $300-500K in retirement funds and investing pretty aggressively.

At this point in your life, you need the following:

- 3 to 6 months of living expenses in cash
- Well on your way to paid off home or a paid off home
- $300-500K in investments and putting away 10%+ month (whether your money or employer shared like a 401K match)
- No major debt like a car, boat, credit card payments
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-28-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 5
MKSixer25707.00
VisualEcho3127.00
uusunn17.50
jimnov6.00

      11-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #35
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
6418
Rep
1,878
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N24SHS View Post
If i had $50000......aka 38,653.25 Pound sterling in hand, i would not invest it in a monetary way, i would invest it in another way....

.....it would pay a year of my daughters school fee's and have 8k to take her and my wife on holiday.

That would leave 3 people happy. Well worth the spend.
Hang on...the picture of your avatar - is that your daughter and is it pretty recent?

Because if so....30K GBP for daycare for one year....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Joe's mind and vocabulary are much like being served something that you don't want to swallow on a 24k gold platter.....with 5 star service.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #36
Dpc2u
Captain
Dpc2u's Avatar
United_States
4111
Rep
715
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Not one to tell someone what they should do with their money, but Vanguard has been VERY good to me over the years.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer25707.00
Rmtt8034.00
VisualEcho3127.00

      11-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #37
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
^ Listen to him.

I've been investing in the market since the mid 1990s or so. I've weathered all the major financial storms during that time, I've lost a lot and I've gained a lot. Up until about 5 years ago, I had a financial adviser/broker at Morgan Stanley. I researched, read a couple of simple investing books, and learned that having an financial adviser/broker was a total waste (for me).

For most investors with sub $2M portfolios, investing is very simple. Warren Buffett's 15-minute Retirement Plan is KEY, spot on, and incredibly simple, and you will consistently beat most every financial adviser/broker recommendation over the long term.

"My advice to the trustee could not be more simple: Put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund. I believe the trust's long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors -- whether pension funds, institutions, or individuals -- who employ high-fee managers." - Warren Buffett

^This is all you need to do right now with $50K.

Most of my money (about 70%) is in Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX) ("S&P 500 index fund"), 15% in stock (mostly Berkshire Class B), government bond funds (~10%), and the remainder in other types of low fee Vanguard index funds.

You really need to get your butt in gear planning for retirement because you're miles behind where you should be. Someone who is 49 should have around $300-500K in retirement funds and investing pretty aggressively.

At this point in your life, you need the following:

- 3 to 6 months of living expenses in cash
- Well on your way to paid off home or a paid off home
- $300-500K in investments and putting away 10%+ month (whether your money or employer shared like a 401K match)
- No major debt like a car, boat, credit card payments
I've beat out the financial advisors and brokers who manage the mutual funds in my companies' 401k plan without even trying.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho3127.00

      11-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #38
XutvJet
Brigadier General
3123
Rep
3,921
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I've beat out the financial advisors and brokers who manage the mutual funds in my companies' 401k plan without even trying.
Yeah, that "advisor" professional is a joke for most every typical investor.
Appreciate 2
bimmer4562192.50
VisualEcho3127.00

      11-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #39
N24SHS
New Member
N24SHS's Avatar
United Kingdom
35
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: E Class AMG Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wiltshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N24SHS View Post
If i had $50000......aka 38,653.25 Pound sterling in hand, i would not invest it in a monetary way, i would invest it in another way....

.....it would pay a year of my daughters school fee's and have 8k to take her and my wife on holiday.

That would leave 3 people happy. Well worth the spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Hang on...the picture of your avatar - is that your daughter and is it pretty recent?

Because if so....30K GBP for daycare for one year....
That pic is about 3 years old. She is now 5 and in her year 1 of primary school (year zero is the start year at age 4). I think you guys call it 2nd grade of elementary school. And yes unfortunately that is the cost, and it gets more expensive at the age of 11. Thats not including all the trips......and specialist uniform etc.

We are not lucky enough to have been able to have a second child, so we said that we would give our only one the best possible start in life with the best education we can afford, best holidays we can give etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #40
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
2255
Rep
2,366
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Interesting reading all of this. Seems this Vanguard is highly regarded by most of you and worth looking into.

Shortly I will have "mid 7 figures" to invest and was considering just putting it in my local investment where I make a pretty consistent 10% to 11% per year. It's a private company but it's been operating here for years, and out of state for even longer, and short of fraud it's pretty stable and relatively risk free.

But I think it would be wise to diversify and put maybe half elsewhere so I've been interested to read these comments. Are there limits on the size of account you can have? Are there better options if you have more than a couple of million in an account?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #41
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Interesting reading all of this. Seems this Vanguard is highly regarded by most of you and worth looking into.

Shortly I will have "mid 7 figures" to invest and was considering just putting it in my local investment where I make a pretty consistent 10% to 11% per year. It's a private company but it's been operating here for years, and out of state for even longer, and short of fraud it's pretty stable and relatively risk free.

But I think it would be wise to diversify and put maybe half elsewhere so I've been interested to read these comments. Are there limits on the size of account you can have? Are there better options if you have more than a couple of million in an account?
I have Vanguard through work it's like any other 401k plan. Not sure how competitive their fees are. I would go with any brokerage that gives you as many free trades as possible and low fee trades after that if you trade a lot. The number of free trades is often dependent on how much you have invested. If you are only investing a small amount you could look into the Robin Hood app but to make a decent amount of money you have to invest more. It takes money to make way more money lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #42
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
2255
Rep
2,366
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I have Vanguard through work it's like any other 401k plan. Not sure how competitive their fees are. I would go with any brokerage that gives you as many free trades as possible and low fee trades after that if you trade a lot. The number of free trades is often dependent on how much you have invested. If you are only investing a small amount you could look into the Robin Hood app but to make a decent amount of money you have to invest more. It takes money to make way more money lol.
I don't have a 401K from work - am not a US Citizen (am a Resident Alien) so was avoiding having my savings locked until retirement (65 isn't it?).

I'm not sure I plan to trade a lot but then I have no idea how this works - I thought you bought into these funds then sat back and watched? I know people playing the money or share markets are more active, but that's really not where I want to be - I'd rather be driving one of my classic cars than deciding what stocks to buy and sell today. That's why I've considered just putting about $4M into this local investment and forgetting about it - less to think about, and I make about 11% pa. And while I feel it's super low risk, I'm sure others felt that about Bernie Madoff too - hence I was thinking I should split it a bit but I just know nothing about investing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #43
bimmer456
Major General
2193
Rep
5,608
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I have Vanguard through work it's like any other 401k plan. Not sure how competitive their fees are. I would go with any brokerage that gives you as many free trades as possible and low fee trades after that if you trade a lot. The number of free trades is often dependent on how much you have invested. If you are only investing a small amount you could look into the Robin Hood app but to make a decent amount of money you have to invest more. It takes money to make way more money lol.
I don't have a 401K from work - am not a US Citizen (am a Resident Alien) so was avoiding having my savings locked until retirement (65 isn't it?).

I'm not sure I plan to trade a lot but then I have no idea how this works - I thought you bought into these funds then sat back and watched? I know people playing the money or share markets are more active, but that's really not where I want to be - I'd rather be driving one of my classic cars than deciding what stocks to buy and sell today. That's why I've considered just putting about $4M into this local investment and forgetting about it - less to think about, and I make about 11% pa. And while I feel it's super low risk, I'm sure others felt that about Bernie Madoff too - hence I was thinking I should split it a bit but I just know nothing about investing.
Yes I'm mainly buy and hold, don't trade that much but I take on higher risk and just ride out the fluctuation which has resulted in 114% return over 4 years. Just in the past month I made $25K but there are months when I lose money.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8034.00

      11-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #44
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
2255
Rep
2,366
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yes I'm mainly buy and hold, don't trade that much but I take on higher risk and just ride out the fluctuation which has resulted in 114% return over 4 years. Just in the past month I made $25K but there are months when I lose money.
Yeah - that's where I'd have to learn to close my eyes and look again in another month.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST