Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Dylon
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Our BMW i8 was almost Totaled Over a $0.50 Part?

Hey there, I'm new to the post and our family used... to have an i8. I thought you all might find this quite interesting and at the very least entertaining as I tell you on video why our BMW i8 went to heaven

LINK BELOW>>>
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Waste of time to watch. Know your owners manual and use a little common sense.

Last edited by Coastali8; 02-25-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Dylon
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

What? Don't know what the owners manual has to do with an account of an experience where a part failed....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Wow, I had to skip around 8 minutes of talking in order to get to this:

1) There is flooding in engine compartment that was ignored,
2) You can't drag an expensive low riding cars while towing, use flatbed (which I would NEVER do with any car so not sure why this is critical),
3) Seal around trunk lid failed and owner did nothing about it, car flooded, car go boom.

Yup, that's it. Its the part, not the owner.
Appreciate 4
Nachbar8023.00
clee1982797.50
JasH621.00
      02-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Give the guy a break. He mistook a leak for condensation. Yeah, he probably should have realized that there has to be a source for that much condensation but he didn’t. I take it as a cautionary tale and I am glad he posted this as even though it’s a rare occurrence I will keep an eye on that seal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
tpanda
Trains, Planes and Automobiles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, 1997 BMW M3

I completely sympathize with the owner, and the I agree that the failure was unexpected and the consequences tragic. I don't think it was necessarily obvious, and BMW obviously agreed. But the use of the word "totaled" seems a solid exaggeration, since that's a term that specifically means the repair cost exceeds the market value of the car. It seemed pretty clear to me from the video: the car had $7,000 in damage due to the broken seal, which BMW repaired under warranty (or the insurance company paid for, it wasn't clear). For a car worth around ten times that, that's not a total loss, or even close to it.

The owner doesn't have the car anymore, but not because it was "totaled", but rather because they were nervous that there was more un-diagnosed damage, and since they were only a few months shy of the lease term, they asked and BMW agreed to buy out the remainder of the lease (or the dealer, or the insurance company, it wasn't clear). I think the owner had a reasonable fear, and it's great that they were able to get things worked out to their satisfaction. But the car didn't go "to heaven", it's probably sitting on a dealer's lot right if it hasn't already been sold to a new owner who will hopefully happily enjoy their new-to-them BMW i8 (with a year of warranty remaining) for the next few years.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

I have sympathy, but IF you see condensation INSIDE the rear lid/engine area and think its like the condensation in headlight housing (which most manuals SAY is normal) then the consequences are not unexpected. I mean if I walked into my car and my seats were wet, or my living room had water on the floor, I don't go "hey there is rain in the driveway, oh well" and move on. Then be shocked if my electrical wiring shorts.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50