BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #67
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What sort of monster doesn't tuck the Diono red strap behind the cover?

And as noted above, you have to retro fit the third row to an E63, but it's not impossible.
Not to mention strapping small kids into a fake 3rd row, i mean fucking really, get a proper vehicle. if you get rear ended those kids are fucked.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      03-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #68
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
What sort of monster doesn't tuck the Diono red strap behind the cover?

And as noted above, you have to retro fit the third row to an E63, but it's not impossible.
Not to mention strapping small kids into a fake 3rd row, i mean fucking really, get a proper vehicle. if you get rear ended those kids are fucked.
I'd bet the rear area of an E63 is safer than the third row of an Escalade or similar. And as you mentioned, things like the CX9 look downright scary. But I'm not really a fan of any third row. I'm lucky, I have one kid, he goes in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #69
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
I'd bet the rear area of an E63 is safer than the third row of an Escalade or similar. And as you mentioned, things like the CX9 look downright scary. But I'm not really a fan of any third row. I'm lucky, I have one kid, he goes in the middle.
i'd bet you're probably right. big SUV doesn't really mean 'safe'. To me it means crappy brakes, more likely to roll, and less chance you can safely perform an emergency lane change.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #70
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
with our first born the stroller took over thw entire trunk. you had to pack groceries around it.

also with the rear facing seat you had to put in the middle if you wanted some leg room.

with a newborn they take up much more space than older kids.
I also have 3 kids (and a vasectomy), our current fleet includes a raptor, and an Escalade (the long bus).

My wife drives the Escalade, it has captains chairs in the second row, which are essential, you cant flip the 2nd row seats with car seats installed, and the older kids in the back can buckle themselves. We got the long version (ESV?) for 2 reasons, we didn't really want to need the long one, but we do. With the 3rd row up you can't put a stroller or anything useful behind the seat, and there there is no crash structure behind the 3rd row of other vehicles and we were spending a lot of time on the highway.

I have a Raptor, that I have not been driving much, but it is also great for 3 kids in the back seat, is some ways better, you can get to them for whatever, I personally think the Raptor seats are more comfortable. If you had a bed cover or shell on the raptor and you kids didn't fight/pick on each other it could be perfect for the job.

If you spend a lot of time in the vehicle I, sadly, must recommend the Escalade with the rear seat entertainment, the kids have their own space and can't reach each other and they can watch their movies on road trips. As time goes on, you'll also find yourself with 'friends' in the car too.

Personally I much prefer the Raptor, if I had to drive from CA to Florida in one of those 2 vehicles right now I would jump into the Raptor, if I had to take the whole family on that same trip, it would be the Escalade.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #71
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Op...have you considered the new Dodge Durango SRT? It’s a beast with 3rd row seats. A buddy of mine has one with 3 kiddos and they love it.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:40 PM   #72
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op...have you considered the new Dodge Durango SRT? It’s a beast with 3rd row seats. A buddy of mine has one with 3 kiddos and they love it.
I thought about it, but wasnt sure if the ride would be too stiff or sporty for longer trips. How does it ride?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #73
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]

I'd go for this sir!

Can't think of a reason not to have such a good looking SUV at my house!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #74
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Quote:
with our first born the stroller took over thw entire trunk. you had to pack groceries around it.

also with the rear facing seat you had to put in the middle if you wanted some leg room.

with a newborn they take up much more space than older kids.
I also have 3 kids (and a vasectomy), our current fleet includes a raptor, and an Escalade (the long bus).

My wife drives the Escalade, it has captains chairs in the second row, which are essential, you cant flip the 2nd row seats with car seats installed, and the older kids in the back can buckle themselves. We got the long version (ESV?) for 2 reasons, we didn't really want to need the long one, but we do. With the 3rd row up you can't put a stroller or anything useful behind the seat, and there there is no crash structure behind the 3rd row of other vehicles and we were spending a lot of time on the highway.

I have a Raptor, that I have not been driving much, but it is also great for 3 kids in the back seat, is some ways better, you can get to them for whatever, I personally think the Raptor seats are more comfortable. If you had a bed cover or shell on the raptor and you kids didn't fight/pick on each other it could be perfect for the job.

If you spend a lot of time in the vehicle I, sadly, must recommend the Escalade with the rear seat entertainment, the kids have their own space and can't reach each other and they can watch their movies on road trips. As time goes on, you'll also find yourself with 'friends' in the car too.

Personally I much prefer the Raptor, if I had to drive from CA to Florida in one of those 2 vehicles right now I would jump into the Raptor, if I had to take the whole family on that same trip, it would be the Escalade.
That is what i was thinking. We are pretty strict when it comes to screen time so an entertainment system is what we wouldnt want to use at their age.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #75
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post

I'd go for this sir!

Can't think of a reason not to have such a good looking SUV at my house!
Yukon didnt make the list, i love the look, my wife isnt a fan.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #76
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
I thought about it, but wasnt sure if the ride would be too stiff or sporty for longer trips. How does it ride?
I liked the ride when took me for a spin. If I remember correctly it has a bunch of different settings for ride/suspension. I’m a HP junkie so I loved the power and braking to support it. You should go test drive one. The YouTube show “The Straight Pipes” did a recent test drive and review. One of my favorite car YouTube reviewers. Worth watching.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #77
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
If the wife doesn't approve, then it isn't the one. Never disappoint the wife!

Hmmmmm, how about this?

Volvo's new XC90 is a very good looking car and it is a 7 seater with great gadgets
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #78
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Quote:
If the wife doesn't approve, then it isn't the one. Never disappoint the wife!

Hmmmmm, how about this?

Volvo's new XC90 is a very good looking car and it is a 7 seater with great gadgets
Volvo has come along way but not enough trunk room with the 3rd row up. i just visited one of my clients and looked all around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #79
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Volvo has come along way but not enough trunk room with the 3rd row up. i just visited one of my clients and looked all around it.
What about this

The new VW Atlas
7 Seater
Good trunk space
Good looking
tons of gadgets
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What if I have no kids and just wanna get the looks from soccer moms
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #81
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
What if I have no kids and just wanna get the looks from soccer moms
Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #82
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Wont I appear above them and they will be intimidated? If I had beater minivan with puke stains in it I could be the shoulder to cry on and they would relate to me. Any fit a twin mattress?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #83
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Wont I appear above them and they will be intimidated? If I had beater minivan with puke stains in it I could be the shoulder to cry on and they would relate to me.
mercedes party bus, then you can catch the soccer dads too.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #84
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Eh no I will leave that for joeker
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #85
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

[QUOTE=1MOREMOD;24541151If I had beater minivan with puke stains in it[/QUOTE]

That's a redundant qualification. There isn't a minivan on the road or in the scrap yard that hasn't had every disgusting thing the human body can do done in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #86
nysupraman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' RC-F 15' GX460

Open yourself up to go ahead and test drive a bunch of different three row SUV's from different manufacturers, besides the usual luxury segment ones. Basically don't be a brand snob, as I tried to be in the past. I did just that and never looked back. The three row SUV market is so hot right now and there are so many different options out there. If I was to look at proper three row suv today, I would seriously consider the KIA Telluride, seems very interesting.

But as it stands today we scooped up a loaded top of the line VW Atlas a couple of months ago, and would also highly recommend it to anyone! Even in its basic form, it is such a great buy. It's packed with tech and safety! Just the fact that the second row tips and slides over for access to the third row with the car seat in place is a great win for me. It drives very small, handles decent for a large vehicle. It gets okay gas mileage and the tank is a bit small, but it runs on 87.

Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #87
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

I've had great experience with my 2016 Expoler ...fits 7 adults comfortably have had zero issues with 56k miles in just over three years.

The 2020 Eplorer Has a new look and it's pretty sick if you can hold out a few months
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #88
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I would like something that can tow with, which is why i am looking for a full size suv or supercrew. hopefully i will get to test drive some this weekend.
If you want to tow anything large you will need a truck. Most manufacturer tout their towing performance such has 7000lbs or 15000lbs, what they don't tell you is the payload rating. Typically you will run out of payload way before you run out of towing or pulling capacity.

With most SUVs you will be lucky to get 1k payload, typically they will be sub 800lbs. Subtract the weight of all the occupants, strollers, car seats, luggage etc and that's what you have left for whatever you plan to tow. If it's something small and lightweight you are probably fine, but for example our RV has an advertised hitch weight of around 700lbs, but people who have weighed it loaded and ready to go claim it's closer to 1000lbs.
Appreciate 0