BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-08-2021, 04:54 AM   #1
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Micro filter - question

Yesterday I had a discussion with friends about the filter quality of BMW's micro filters/fine dust filter elements.

Parts catalogue says: "In addition to the functions of a micro / activated carbon filter, the original BMW fine dust filter also filters the smallest particles such as bacteria, allergens and fine dust in the vehicle interior to a minimum."

We were asking ourselves if this might even filter out viruses like COVID-19 - which I don't believe.

But we could not find any detailed information about their exact specifications i. e. pore size or retention rate.

Would be interesting to know. Someone here to enlighten that?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Planning to drive the i8 into a crowd and stay save from SARS-COV-2? Covid-19 is not a Virus, it's a disease. The car will not encounter SARS-COV-2 concentrations on the road or in a parking garage that are relevant. If you would theoretically flood the passenger air intake with a SARS-COV-2 Aerosol the filters would have an effect on concentration. This is never 100%. Not even in medical masks. You reduce infection risk, not eliminate it. But then again, why bother? The car won't encounter SARS-COV-2 Aerosols of any relevant concentration on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Unsure about the filter itself, but largely irrelevant:

Dilution outside of the virus means that it's not an issue in every day use.
The main transmission is via droplets, rather than aerosol. The mechanical barrier of the car and the torturous journey through the ventilation system means these droplets are unlikely to reach you, even if someone is sneezing directly into the air intakes!

For what it's worth, I wear both level 2 and level 3 PPE every day so have to be reasonably clued up about the transmission. Our level 3 filters protect with an electrostatically charged filter, that is probably very similar to the dust filter, if it's up to FFP3/P3 standards.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

But what if I'm driving indoors? At a wedding. Or concert?

(kidding, I'd never drive in a concert)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The more salient issue is whether transmission from a passenger would be limited by the filter. Wear a good mask, request that your passengers do as well, and get vaccinated.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:36 AM   #6
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

It's all a matter of statistical probability. It might be possible to construct a scenario where you get infected in a car, alone, driving through a room with high concentration of Aerosol. Droplets don't matter. Very unlikely. Even more unlikely to have any symptoms or more than common cold symptoms from such a low virus load. That risk is anyway statistically neglectable if you are younger than 65 and don't have at least one risk factor like being heavily overweight, ... no matter what you do as you can read in a study conducted by the Robert Koch Institute, responsible for the pandemic management in Germany from a scientific side.

But the easiest is not driving a car inside 😉 and it matters more what happens before, after and in the car. The best way to avoid infection is not doing stupid things.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:44 AM   #7
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Planning to drive the i8 into a crowd and stay save from SARS-COV-2?
No.

I just wanted to know more about the technical specification of the filters...

Quote:
Covid-19 is not a Virus, it's a disease.
Thanks for explanation. But despite of scientific definitions everybody knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
The car will not encounter SARS-COV-2 concentrations on the road or in a parking garage that are relevant. If you would theoretically flood the passenger air intake with a SARS-COV-2 Aerosol the filters would have an effect on concentration. This is never 100%. Not even in medical masks. You reduce infection risk, not eliminate it. But then again, why bother? The car won't encounter SARS-COV-2 Aerosols of any relevant concentration on the road.
I know all that. I. e. FFP2 are at around 96%.
And there are many many more factors.
The news channels don't get tired repeating it 24/7...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:59 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
No.

I just wanted to know more about the technical specification of the filters...

Thanks for explanation. But despite of scientific definitions everybody knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I know all that. I. e. FFP2 are at around 96%.
And there are many many more factors.
The news channels don't get tired repeating it 24/7...
Sorry but I think investing the time to use precise language and understanding meanings of words as well a question every number you heard for the scientific background it came from has shown as vital for a meaningful discussion, especially now.

So your question can only be answered with a "no, there is no scientific study I am aware of that looked at the statistical effect of the passenger air filter on SARS-COV-2 infection risk driving indoors at a wedding". And I doubt there ever will be.

But I didn't understand this as a scientific question but a kind of regulars discussion where you want to hear some perspectives that are non scientific. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Appreciate 0