03-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
jasnin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Garage List
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Question i3 BEV "floor plan"

Need advice, dropped a torx screwdriver bit down the armrest when fixing the USB port(that's its own story)
If I had to guess it would've settled under the airbag controller.
At this point I have the entire armrest removed and have determined there is no "under the airbag controller".
I'm not able to feel anything anywhere I can fit my hand, the car has since been driven, albeit gently.
I am wondering what the chances are of the bit falling into one of the "valleys" fore/aft of the airbag controller.
I'm thinking of taking a spirited, twisty drive, to shake the bit down into one of the channels and then using a magnetic pickup tool.
I'm concerned that there may be sensitive components that won't be happy about a magnet or the loose bit itself coming close to them.

Is there anyone familiar with the car's "floor plan" to know if:
The valleys run the whole width of the car from driver's side to passenger side?
Are there other trenches/pockets that the bit may drop down into?
There IS/ARE sensitive components/sensors to be mindful of?

It's just a torx bit and has little value but at the very least, I'd hate to know that there is now a rattle/sliding noise that is part of the car now. That being said, I imagine the next steps are either pulling the seats or battery, and that isn't going to happen.
Appreciate 0