BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I just did a test drive of the "launch edition" iPace. Loved it. In person, it looks like an X2. The interior is Bentley quality. Ride compliance with the 22" tires is about like the X2--not great over potholes, but really great handling on smooth roads. The advertised range vs. the battery size seems off--should get more range for a battery that large. I wonder what the reason is? One pedal driving just like my 2014 i3--terrific. The electric torque makes it a hoot to drive and the dual motors and large battery capacity means it continues that performance above 45 MPH, unlike the i3.

The i3 is what I call a toy car--unsuitable except for limited purposes. Not suitable for long inter-city as it's range requires a mid-day stop and the charging infrastructure requires at least an hour to charge.

My PHEV 330e is a more practical proposition. I get 90% of my local driving on electric drive (have home charger) and unlimited inter-city travel at 45 MPG (actual results of 2000 mi R/T to one-day school at 80.1 MPH). My ICE doesn't weigh any more than the extra battery in the i Pace.

I think we are in a transition period where an all-electric car is suitable for people with particular uses, but not the general public. My mix for two cars for the mid-term is a PHEV and an all-electric. I traded my i3 for a 330e when my wife refused to accept it's coal cart-like ride over Houston's potholed streets.

The 330e will be replaced by an all-electric "something" in late 2020. I will not be looking for huge range, but will be looking for a comfortable ride, luxury interior and zippy performance. I'd prefer a "skateboard" because that's the most efficient form factor and optional battery sizes, as I don't want to buy and haul around more battery than I need.

The PHEV will be what BMW is planning to build--a conventional body with a "small" battery, though it may not be a BMW. Lots of stuff coming in 2020 to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Something I mentioned in the main thread, but probably worth repeating here:

i4's drivetrain could also go into G28 (Chinese 3er LWB), but I'm not so sure about G20.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #25
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Something I mentioned in the main thread, but probably worth repeating here:

i4's drivetrain could also go into G28 (Chinese 3er LWB), but I'm not so sure about G20.
Could that mean that the i4/4er GC might also get the LWB, now that the 3er GT (who had that) is cancelled?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #26
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Could that mean that the i4/4er GC might also get the LWB, now that the 3er GT (who had that) is cancelled?
It's possible, but I won't be the one to give you the answer - wait for the spyshots.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #27
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

We absolutely loved our i3 rex. Yes, the battery was small. However other than maybe 10 trips did we ever use the rex and that was only because we wanted to drive it. We had a second car that could be used for longer trips. The i3 was a perfect city car. The only two issues were tires and the REX.

We wore out a set of tires from that super fun low end torque. Almost every time it was near full pedal go on acceleration. So smooth, balanced, and quite.

The REX had computer code issues that almost always threw a CEL for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #28
musicteacher
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Past: 2012 BMW X1, 2015 BMW 32

Hey BMW, make it in GERMANY, and offer European Delivery for it! Please and thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

15% EV in 2030? I really have my doubts about Mr. Kruegers visionary horizon and ability to lead this transformation if he would confirm this number.

As I heard today GM changes to EV strategy it was really like "YES"! That's a bomb. But I always thought it would be crazy if the US would not go for the very top of this technological revolution, despite a certain leadership that seems to have problems to understand what's happening. Ok, he's not the only one
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #30
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

as long as it doesn't look like a Samsung smart refrigerator like some of the other models I've seen, I'm excited to see the i4.

They still need to do something "different" from a regular 4 series to be appealing. the 330e doesn't sell much, does it?
Appreciate 0