BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-29-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

i8 roadster £90K by xmas prediction

I’ve been monitoring the i8 roadsters for a while as my current coupe is 3 years old on xmas eve and the roadster appealed.

Ever since we were wooed at the ipure unveiling event in Munich, I’ve had a soft spot for the roadster. However, as a private buyer depreciation was a concern, so I’ve been tracking the actual cars available and their price movements. I also predicted in Munich that the car would be £90K by Xmas.

A few things are interesting regarding this car’s pricing and availability:

It looks like my price prediction will be spot on. Currently there is a Donnington Grey one for sale at Arden Maidstone dealer for £93K with 318 miles on the clock. This was £100K last month and £110K the month before. Fancy one in e-copper? Well Sytner Sheffield have one for £95K, that too was £100K last month and £110K the month before. Both will be £90K (or less) by xmas

There are a lot more (cheaper) cars on BMW approved used than Autotrader. It seems as if BMW is preventing dealers from listing cars on Autotrader below a certain price point! This was £110K for a while now its £100K, but dealers have loads of cars under this price?!?

All cars available were registered June 18. BMW seems to have registered them all in June, but releasing them to market at a rate of about 4 per month. Obviously, a lot of these would have been driven by BMW employees, hence are around 1-3K miles. Did BMW stockpile for launch? Where are the newer cars? Built to order or a new glut of pre-registered waiting in the wings?

To be honest, I think the i8 – both roadster and coupe are cracking cars. I’ve loved every minute of owning mine – bar the depreciation. I always thought that at £90K, a 6 month old roadster would tempt me. However, I’m not so sure. I think the car will continue to slide to about £70-75K by its first birthday - a cool £50K+ annual loss.

At that point, I may be tempted. Otherwise, I’ll have to be boring again and get back into a 911
Appreciate 2
JasH621.00
      11-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Are any of these NEW vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Are any of these NEW vehicles?
No, clearly stated above the £93K car has got 318 miles on the clock. Basically that's £1K in depreciation for every 10 miles driven. Sweet!

For new, no one in their right mind seems to be daft enough to take such a hit. Be cheaper to run a 488! So probably waiting for when BMW finance deals are updated on 1 Jan. likely to be £20K+ dealer contribution and 0% finance deals
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
No, clearly stated above the £93K car has got 318 miles on the clock. Basically that's £1K in depreciation for every 10 miles driven. Sweet!

For new, no one in their right mind seems to be daft enough to take such a hit. Be cheaper to run a 488! So probably waiting for when BMW finance deals are updated on 1 Jan. likely to be £20K+ dealer contribution and 0% finance deals
You mean buying a new one? Apparently I'm daft enough to take such a hit.

Everyone knows the largest amount of appreciation happens the very first time the car rolls off the lot...

But if you want a new one...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You mean buying a new one? Apparently I'm daft enough to take such a hit.

Everyone knows the largest amount of appreciation happens the very first time the car rolls off the lot...

But if you want a new one...
Apologies Evan. Didn't realise you bought one new. Just talking from my perspective - I'm not prepared to take such a hit in the first year, but some lucky souls are fortunate enough (or work hard enough) to not have to worry about such things. It's a great car, enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Apologies Evan. Didn't realise you bought one new. Just talking from my perspective - I'm not prepared to take such a hit in the first year, but some lucky souls are fortunate enough (or work hard enough) to not have to worry about such things. It's a great car, enjoy it!
NP. There is typically lots of depreciation on any expensive car. Just rolling it off the lot takes the largest hit. But most folks know this going in...

I prefer to buy new cars so I know their history. No question, though, that you can get better value when buying used. Personally, I value establishing a cars "history" more than getting a bargain price...

Plus, someones gotta buy them first if you want to buy them used. ...and, apparently, they are selling. I know of at least 3 new Roadsters sold in just the Milwaukee area alone - and we are not in a climate known to be overly favorable to convertibles...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
At that point, I may be tempted. Otherwise, I’ll have to be boring again and get back into a 911
Hi buddy, why not keep the i8 Coupe until the used Roadsters hit your magic number? Or do you fancy a change?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Quote:
Hi buddy, why not keep the i8 Coupe until the used Roadsters hit your magic number? Or do you fancy a change?
I'll be extending warranty and keeping it till next spring, then decide. I love the i8, as you know but Depreciation is crazy though. Eg Takes C4S cab 2 years to lose what the roadster has in 5 months. You know us Yorkshireman, don't like parting with the hard earned
Appreciate 1
fbuzila367.00
      12-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Zagaboo, the Donington Grey one is a demo car and is unregistered. It was offered to me 1-2 months ago at 99k. I was *almost* tempted, just to renew my PI. But decided it was too much money, as they were offering only 50k for mine IIRC.

Best time to buy a new Roadster is now. Or a used one, 12 months from now, at circa 70k.

I've no regrets about having bought my i8, but really can't see me buying another one again. I love the car.
Appreciate 1
zagaboo67.50
      12-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Zagaboo, the Donington Grey one is a demo car and is unregistered. It was offered to me 1-2 months ago at 99k. I was *almost* tempted, just to renew my PI. But decided it was too much money, as they were offering only 50k for mine IIRC.

Best time to buy a new Roadster is now. Or a used one, 12 months from now, at circa 70k.

I've no regrets about having bought my i8, but really can't see me buying another one again. I love the car.
Unregistered for £93K! Wow. However tempting though, it's still too high for a Scrooge like me.

I'll wait to see what deals are available in the new year, but probably end up getting one 12 months old (Jun 19), where they'll be about £75K then keep a couple of years till warranty expires. May even be able to bag a launch spec with laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post

I drove this car and got more or less the same offer. I passed as well.

The loss of two seats, the fact that i paid full whack for my car and drove only 4k miles, the squeaky roof on the convertible all made me decide to stick with what i have.

Just like you i love the car but won’t buy another one purely due to bmw’s approach to production volumes of their ‘special’ cars.

The best way to buyan i8 now is pre owned, prev gen, low miles.
Appreciate 3
zagaboo67.50
fbuzila367.00
      12-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Sit tight... they are not selling many of these here in the UK and given the stockpile that BMW has created, I am sure the deals will only improve on both new and used!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
I drove this car and got more or less the same offer. I passed as well.

The loss of two seats, the fact that i paid full whack for my car and drove only 4k miles, the squeaky roof on the convertible all made me decide to stick with what i have.

Just like you i love the car but won’t buy another one purely due to bmw’s approach to production volumes of their ‘special’ cars.

The best way to buyan i8 now is pre owned, prev gen, low miles.
If it had a "squeaky roof" then I wouldn't buy it either. I would also be quite curious why that is. The roof on my Roadster is rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
If it had a "squeaky roof" then I wouldn't buy it either. I would also be quite curious why that is. The roof on my Roadster is rock solid.
In the defense of the car i drove it on local broken roads. The rattles / squeaks were surprising to me too. I expected a quieter, more solid structure. More evident when driving coupe vs spider back to back.

I could have been just this car. Anyway i think we already debated this in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

And as we've discussed before... (And for the benefit of those who have not read the "other" thread)...

I've driven on broken roads on/around/in Chicago and not noticed any squeaking, etc. Totally amazed about how structurally sound the retractable roof is...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I drove a few Roadsters extensively in Germany, including one for a whole day in the Bavarian hills. No squeaks and solid build on all of them.

And my coupe still has no squeaks or rattles after 3.5 years. Very solid build The CF is probably the reason. My i3 is the same - rock solid, 4 years on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Prediction was out by a week

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...esearchad=Used
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      12-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #18
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
amazing; now I'm wondering how low can go a 2015 and if I should buy one or just get in another lease
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #19
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post
Quote:
amazing; now I'm wondering how low can go a 2015 and if I should buy one or just get in another lease
Are you UK? If so BMW lease deals are updated on 1 Jan. Take a view when they are out.

These are just not shifting, so expect heavy falls to continue. Spring/Summer weather and a £75K price point will probably see sales activity pick up.

One thing I still can't get my head around, is that of the 32 roadsters currently on sale in UK, 30 of them were registered in June 18. Where are the newer ones? Parked up in a field in Dover? :
Appreciate 0