10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #23
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
How do you like that Samsung display you're using on your iPhone?
is it really a Samsung display? if it is I didn't know that
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
and than the very first smart phone which wasn't really smart but it was more windows based

I loved that Palm Treo 650! One of my employees had one too. We flashed them and found a site that had every app that you could get for them at the time. We used to play this bluetooth air hockey game that was awesome! Also had a tamagotchi type app but the main character was a pimp. You had to feed him, make him drink hooch and help him sell his bitches, it was pretty damn funny. At that time it was also way cool to have video on your sd card and watch tv shows, movies and whatnot. The flip phone fan boys were always amazed.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
is it really a Samsung display? if it is I didn't know that
Yes. If you have a new iPhone, the displays were manufactured by Samsung.

Before the Apple fans get their knickers in a twist, it's nothing more than competitive marketing. Much like rap beefs, boxing and MMA fights. From what I understand both companies play well together (these days anyway, this was not always the case). If they create a war about who is better to the general public, both companies win.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I loved that Palm Treo 650! One of my employees had one too. We flashed them and found a site that had every app that you could get for them at the time. We used to play this bluetooth air hockey game that was awesome! Also had a tamagotchi type app but the main character was a pimp. You had to feed him, make him drink hooch and help him sell his bitches, it was pretty damn funny. At that time it was also way cool to have video on your sd card and watch tv shows, movies and whatnot. The flip phone fan boys were always amazed.
lol these things sold like hot cakes. everyone of these on the production line were sold before they could even hit the stores! I remember working crazxy overtime cause the demand was out of control. funny part was during that time these were mostly used by management, lawyers, and every white collar jobs out there but not for your average person like nowadays where even a 10 year old has a Note9
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
All of mine have lasted at least 4 years and continue to work flawlessly as that is their use cycle. 2 Years of heavy use by me and then 2 years of moderate use by my wife. I still have 2 iPhone 6 that are working well as "entertainment devices" only because I have not sold them yet and there is no reason to have another phone line on them.

3 years is amateur.

I do have to say the Note 9 is a nice looking phone though. Congrats on the new phones!
I've never had a phone last more than 2 years tops. Not due to any fault other than my own. I will say that I see more older damaged (cracked or destroyed screens) iPhones still being used. I guess they are like the 1980's Toyota pick ups that you still see on the road; beat all to shit but still run like a champ.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-03-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol these things sold like hot cakes. everyone of these on the production line were sold before they could even hit the stores! I remember working crazxy overtime cause the demand was out of control. funny part was during that time these were mostly used by management, lawyers, and every white collar jobs out there but not for your average person like nowadays where even a 10 year old has a Note9
I tried to pre-order mine and couldn't. I worked for a carrier that I refuse to name at the time and there were only two that got them originally. All the BlackBerry guys wanted them. I ended up with mine because all the execs, at the company that I worked for, got them handed to them as perk devices free of charge. The guy that ran the market I worked in couldn't figure out how to use it....he was really happy with his iPhone though. He sold it to me for $100. If I'm not mistaken the non-contract price for that phone then was like $700 which was crazy back then. Needless to say I had a lot of people envious and upset that I had one and they didn't. My boss and my boss's boss were trying to get one and couldn't and I had mine almost a full month before they were even released to the public. I had a RAZR 3 months before launch but I gave it to my wife because it was a piece of shit.

It's crazy how 10 year olds have more technology in their hands than what we had just 10 years ago. It's nuts how rapidly technology is advancing.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's crazy how 10 year olds have more technology in their hands than what we had just 10 years ago. It's nuts how rapidly technology is advancing.
totally agree! I remember during that time my brother was stationed in Japan when he was in the Navy and the phones out there all had color displays while we (USA) had the green/orange LCD displays. I was like how is it they have color LCD's and we are still manufacturing these green/orange displays? found out even with the CDMA technology we were 10 years behind Japan lol
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #30
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
How do you like that Samsung display you're using on your iPhone?
Very true.

A samsung screen with IOS UI - is the best love child. I do love my iphone x

Can you imagine a samsung phone with apple UI & app store - will knock out the competition for sure.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Very true.

A samsung screen with IOS UI - is the best love child. I do love my iphone x

Can you imagine a samsung phone with apple UI & app store - will knock out the competition for sure.
I've never really been a fan of IOS UI. It's been years since I've carried an iPhone but my experience then was lackluster. I wasn't a fan that I couldn't customize anything. That sms interface was garbage then not sure what it's like now. Seemed like it was geared more toward teenage girls than anything else. The colors and the bubbly looking message bubble always angered me. As for the app store, my experience with apple was that any app that I could get for free for android the only free versions with apple were trial versions.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #32
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In all fairness, everyone's likes and dislikes are different. I can't say that any one device is better than another. It all comes down to the user's experience, what they use their device for and how they use it.
Appreciate 3
      10-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #33
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I've never really been a fan of IOS UI. It's been years since I've carried an iPhone but my experience then was lackluster. I wasn't a fan that I couldn't customize anything. That sms interface was garbage then not sure what it's like now. Seemed like it was geared more toward teenage girls than anything else. The colors and the bubbly looking message bubble always angered me.
Designed for teenage girls

I hear what you are saying but here is my point.

If you spends hundreds/thousands on a smart phone, they should already have done the r&d for the best layout to give the best user experience. If they have done the job right you won't ever need to customize anything except the wallpaper!

My wife uses Samsung and i'm on iphones. One thing that annoys me about androids in general is the touch screen. It is not as responsive or smooth as iphones and i think that's really important when using a phone which is designed to be used on the go!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #34
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Designed for teenage girls

I hear what you are saying but here is my point.

If you spends hundreds/thousands on a smart phone, they should already have done the r&d for the best layout to give the best user experience. If they have done the job right you won't ever need to customize anything except the wallpaper!

My wife uses Samsung and i'm on iphones. One thing that annoys me about androids in general is the touch screen. It is not as responsive or smooth as iphones and i think that's really important when using a phone which is designed to be used on the go!
I'm with and don't disagree but I like a solid black interface and very rarely does a phone have one. On an android I'm able to customize that. I've not used or even touched an iPhone in years so I'm not sure on the difference in touchscreens. I will say that my Note doesn't have any lag to it at all. My best friend uses an iPhone, I'll have to compare next time we hang out.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #35
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

that's a new one. never heard of the touch screen not being responsive. even with my Note3 for 4 years never had any issues
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thank me later...

https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/...e-amazon-price
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #37
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
It still would have been a better deal to preorder and get the $250 noise canceling headphones but it does not surprise me the price is dropping.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #38
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I had planned on grabbing one this month but I think I'm going to hold out for the black version. As for earbuds, I'm going to nab some of these as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WDK6S3...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You and I are a lot alike sir. I won't buy anything unless it's a good deal or unless I absolutely need to have it. I've been in purchasing for years, I consider myself a professional shopper.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #40
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I consider myself a professional shopper.
so you do have a lil teenage girl in you.
      10-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #41
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
You and I are a lot alike sir. I won't buy anything unless it's a good deal or unless I absolutely need to have it. I've been in purchasing for years, I consider myself a professional shopper.
ABSOLUTELY!

I remember when I was young man (20yrs ago) I had a conversation with a wealthy entrepreneur. And one piece of advice he said to me was, "Never pay full price for anything."

Now I understand that if you want stuff first or the moment it drops, then it is what it is. But I have learned to be VERY patient and I have saved tens of thousands over the years by being a savvy shopper.
      10-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #42
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
so you do have a lil teenage girl in you.
So many different directions I could take replying to this. None of them will serve a favorable outcome. I suppose I'll simply reply with "Nah."

If buying parts to build OTR trucks, automated machinery and dealing with construction projects is what teenage girls do these days, then I suppose I should be humbled in agreeing with you.

Still pretty funny though.
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      10-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #43
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!

I remember when I was young man (20yrs ago) I had a conversation with a wealthy entrepreneur. And one piece of advice he said to me was, "Never pay full price for anything."

Now I understand that if you want stuff first or the moment it drops, then it is what it is. But I have learned to be VERY patient and I have saved tens of thousands over the years by being a savvy shopper.
I learned a long time ago, it isn't what you make, it's what you save.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #44
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So a month later I finally snagged a black Note 9. This thing is a beast to say the least. The customization is off the charts.

A few notables:
Dual bluetooth sync (ability to sync to 2 bluetooth devices at once) - this comes in handy if you and another person want to listen to the same audio on separate headphones i.e watching video/movies/shows on your phone or if you have multiple bluetooth speakers in your home.

Bluetooth audio separation - If you are playing audio through bluetooth to an external speaker and want to watch a youtube video at the same time, you can separate the audio output to where the music continues to play through the external speaker and have the audio for the video on your phone come through the phone without interuption.

S-Pen remote - pretty handy for taking pictures and listening to music. I've been using this at the gym while doing cardio. I can set my phone down, put the s-pen in my pocket and pause the music or skip to the next track without having to look at or touch my phone.

Truly impressed with the feel and build of this phone. I haven't been this impressed with a phone since I worked in the cell phone industry and smart phones first hit the market.

Last edited by King Rudi; 12-07-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
BayE301341.00