United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
30min drive from my home to the unlimitted Autobahn
Man, that's insane, love that How is life in Switzerland btw ? I am actually european and think of coming back to Europe, in a country where I can still be making some good money on my work Tough to beat the us income in any other place other than Switzerland(I am on the IT field btw). But I like to hear what people think about the country, gives me some good information before my move there. So far, I am only hearing great things, so can't wait
I'm also from Europe, working in IT field(cloud computing mainly)
it's kinda hard to find a similar paid job in Europe
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #24
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: scion frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post
I'm also from Europe, working in IT field(cloud computing mainly)
it's kinda hard to find a similar paid job in Europe
Definitely hard/impossible in Europe, but Switzerland is probably the only exception at the moment. It would still be tough to get the same salary as in the US, but if you include the lower taxes, it kinda comes to a similar level(if not higher in some cases). Or at least, that's what I have learnt from the people I've spoken to so far. Would definitely welcome even more info though, for sure
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, that's insane, love that How is life in Switzerland btw ? I am actually european and think of coming back to Europe, in a country where I can still be making some good money on my work Tough to beat the us income in any other place other than Switzerland(I am on the IT field btw). But I like to hear what people think about the country, gives me some good information before my move there. So far, I am only hearing great things, so can't wait
I only worked in Czech Republic, Germany and Belgium for a while; I think UK/London might get closer to US salary level and probably Switzerland too
personally I like warmer weather so Europe is not an option for me (that's why I live in Florida
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #26
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Quote:
30min drive from my home to the unlimitted Autobahn
Well, I was born in Switzerland, so I must love it I'm a IT guy as well (Management). I'd say we've got a well running System over here. Healthcare and everything are top. There's only ONE thing I miss - the sea.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I only worked in Czech Republic, Germany and Belgium for a while; I think UK/London might get closer to US salary level and probably Switzerland too
personally I like warmer weather so Europe is not an option for me (that's why I live in Florida
Nah, based on my research London salaries are lagging by a mile when compared to the US. I do live in the bay area though, so I do compare it to that I definitely feel you about the weather though, it's always sunny here (minus the occassional fires :/)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #28
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah, based on my research London salaries are lagging by a mile when compared to the US. I do live in the bay area though, so I do compare it to that I definitely feel you about the weather though, it's always sunny here (minus the occassional fires :/)
bay area is a total other "country", so not applicable
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #29
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
bay area is a total other "country", so not applicable
Can't argue that
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
IT guy here as well. I do systems administration and hardware certification - glad to see other techs enjoying the i8 here! Can't wait to get one myself.... soon
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #31
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamelauncher14 View Post
IT guy here as well. I do systems administration and hardware certification - glad to see other techs enjoying the i8 here! Can't wait to get one myself.... soon
Oops, I thought you were in Switzerland too, lol.

Hope you have fun with your i8 when you get your hands on it
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

The longer I read this thread the longer I have to smile.
I'm an IT Manager as well (School of Arts), was born and live in Zurich, Switzerland and I got my i8 today (Pure Impulse Package) after I've been driving i3 for about one year.

Charging infrastructure here is not so bad around cities, some stores (LIDL) offers free charging, charging stations on Autobahn service centers are rapidly growing. But this is i3 perspective, have to elaborate how relevant this is with the i8 in my practice.

Costs of living are generally higher than in EU, in some cases even very much higher. One example for the latter are telecom costs.
Taxes depends extremely on region and town. Taxes in the cities are often higher than in the suburban areas.
Normal is 42h work hours per week, four to five weeks paid vacation time and sometimes also 13th monthly salary.

Oh, an we have wonderful roads. Google f.E. "Klausenpass".
And this is only one of dozens if not hundreds of this kind
Around the cities, however, as everywhere else in the world, traffic jams predominate.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #33
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I'm an IT Manager as well (School of Arts), was born and live in Zurich, Switzerland and I got my i8 today (Pure Impulse Package) after I've been driving i3 for about one year.

Charging infrastructure here is not so bad around cities, some stores (LIDL) offers free charging, charging stations on Autobahn service centers are rapidly growing. But this is i3 perspective, have to elaborate how relevant this is with the i8 in my practice.

Costs of living are generally higher than in EU, in some cases even very much higher. One example for the latter are telecom costs.
Taxes depends extremely on region and town. Taxes in the cities are often higher than in the suburban areas.
Normal is 42h work hours per week, four to five weeks paid vacation time and sometimes also 13th monthly salary.

Around the cities, however, as everywhere else in the world, traffic jams predominate.
Good luck!
You are my guy I do want to end up near Zurich, hopefully, we'll see. Yeah, I know about the 8.30 hour workdays, but no biggie. I've also heard about the 13th salary, which doesn't exist here in the US. Luckily, salaries are pretty high though to compensate for that.

Judging from the fact that you just got your i8, I can only assume that you are doing pretty well financially in the IT space there, especially since you are a manager (I am senior level at the moment, but that really pays a lot in the bay area, especially in my field, being a bit more scarce and hot at the moment).

To be sincere, I would love to be getting the same salary I have now in Zurich. Especially since dollars and swiss francs basically have the same value.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #34
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Good luck!
ZHAW Kreis5, perhaps? Work 5mins footwalk from there (Hardturmstrasse)
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #35
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Wonderful roads yes....but Switzerland also has the most sport car unfriendly police and laws I know of in Europe.

I've therefore never wanted to drive there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

True. But Germany is quite near (20 min drive frim my home).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #37
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
True. But Germany is quite near (20 min drive frim my home).
Good point
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:58 AM   #38
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

By the way, this is probably ridiculous, but I am an avid coffee drinker and I have noticed that the i8 has a single cup holder at the front. Why is that ? Is anyone having trouble with that ? What if there are two people at the front shits both drinking something ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #39
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
By the way, this is probably ridiculous, but I am an avid coffee drinker and I have noticed that the i8 has a single cup holder at the front. Why is that ? Is anyone having trouble with that ? What if there are two people at the front shits both drinking something ?
It's not that hard to reach back to the two cup holders for the back seat. My wife uses the back ones and I use the front one.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #40
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Cup holders? What cup holders?

I threw mine out Day 1

750g weight reduced

And in my McLaren, the (single) cup holder is being used to mount my wireless phone mount & charger
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #41
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
It's not that hard to reach back to the two cup holders for the back seat. My wife uses the back ones and I use the front one.
Ah that's ok then thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #42
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Cup holders? What cup holders?

I threw mine out Day 1

750g weight reduced

And in my McLaren, the (single) cup holder is being used to mount my wireless phone mount & charger
I am a coffee junkie man !
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #43
sppr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Btw, for all of you guys that have bought an i8 on the secondary market, what would you say is a reasonable negotiation percentage off the asking price ? Right now, you can find a lot of i8s around 70k. For anyone who has the experience buying, did you manage to bring it even lower than this ? I would think that offering 65k for example would be very reasonable on that asking price, but not sure how the market reacts at the moment.
Appreciate 0