Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Ichiro1
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

i8 Maintenance Schedule?

So I just took my 2016 i8 in for service. I bought it last year certified pre-owned and I just hit 10k miles.

Wondering if anyone has documentation out there on what should be inspected/changed at what mileage/time intervals? I feel like the dealership tried to rip me off signing me up for oil change + micro filer change + "quick services" and brake fluid change with an estimate of $800.

I don't like going into the dealership uneducated like this without any guides, and I'm not comfortable that the i8 manual essentially says "do what the condition based service computer system tell you to do". I'd prefer going in and just telling them what to do. Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro1 View Post
So I just took my 2016 i8 in for service. I bought it last year certified pre-owned and I just hit 10k miles.

Wondering if anyone has documentation out there on what should be inspected/changed at what mileage/time intervals? I feel like the dealership tried to rip me off signing me up for oil change + micro filer change + "quick services" and brake fluid change with an estimate of $800.

I don't like going into the dealership uneducated like this without any guides, and I'm not comfortable that the i8 manual essentially says "do what the condition based service computer system tell you to do". I'd prefer going in and just telling them what to do. Any help appreciated.
It would be prudent to do what your car is telling you tbh!

The oil/inspection interval (2 years or 20K miles) is different from brake fluid (3yrs or 30K, I think)

That yours is due together must just coincidence that both are needed at the same time, accounting for both age or mileage?

For my (UK car), new in 12/15, I have had to do the following services:
- Oil/inspection @ 20K - 12/17 (my car was 20k miles AND 2 years old, so I needed a service on both time and mileage)
- Brake fluid @ 08/18 (car was less than 3 years old BUT had done 30K miles)

Car is showing:-
- Next inspection/oil due - 09/19 or 40K
- Next brake fluid change due - 08/20 (I bet this date slips out to 08/21 if the car has not done 60K)

Hope this is helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Aren't you covered by free maintenance because it is certified? Or where they trying to tack on additional services?
Appreciate 0