BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Samsung Note9

Didn't see any threads regarding the Samsung Note9 so for the Note9 users or 8 I thought posting a thread on cool things to do or some pretty good apps to DL or accessories you bought that was cool and useful. for the screen protector I went and ordered the White Stone screen protector from Amazon. seems like this was the best one to get. for the case I'm looking at the UAG Monarch (Black) unless you guys have any recommendations?

still looking for something for the car?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Hey!

I have one and it's a great phone. I use the spigen case w/ kickstand. So far so good and had it on my other Note. I have a glass screen protector but removed it. I hated the lines it had on the side. But it was the only one the store had on the launch date.

Just got my free $250 AKG noise canceling headphones in the mail yesterday. I already have a higher quality set of noise canceling headphones so not sure what to do with them. The only people who need noise canceling is people who travel, imo. Who probably already own a set. Maybe they will be an xmass gift to someone?

For the car I have one of the magnets the goes inside the case and attaches like the above photo. Only issue is the phone is too heavy and on a hard bump it will fall off. I'm sure if I tried two of the vent holders and put in two of the magnets it would work just fine. The kit I bought on amazon for $7 came with two, I just have one in each car and need to double it up to try.

You case looks cumbersome. I hate cases but with a phone like this they are needed.

Maybe I will try that screen protector but that means I will have spent like $100 in fucking BS screen protectors. I dislike having to spend $1000 on a phone that needs a case and screen protector to last 2 years of NORMAL use. WTF samsung and apple. Phones used to not need this crap. If I was not so reliant on my phone for work I would run no case and definitely no screen protector. Sucks.

my only complaint is when txting it seems to mess up more often than not. Like it will put a d when I want and. like wtf how many people are typing a alone in a sentance vs. and? The phone has enough hardware to make things like this non existent. Pet peev but it is annoying.

Last edited by Torgus; 09-29-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I just got done with case shopping for an S9 I just picked up. I think the UAG and Otterbox definitely offer the most protection but also make the phone look too bulky. I wanted something a bit slimmer in design so I settled on the Caseology legion. Congrats on the new purchase.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
kyoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

just bought a lavender one for my mom - it's a beast, almost too much phone for her lol
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Kickst...ckstand+note+9 <--my case. Happy with it so far. Had basically the same on my old Note.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Hey!

I have one and it's a great phone. I use the spigen case w/ kickstand. So far so good and had it on my other Note. I have a glass screen protector but removed it. I hated the lines it had on the side. But it was the only one the store had on the launch date.

For the car I have one of the magnets the goes inside the case and attaches like the above photo. Only issue is the phone is too heavy and on a hard bump it will fall off. I'm sure if I tried two of the vent holders and put in two of the magnets it would work just fine. The kit I bought on amazon for $7 came with two, I just have one in each car and need to double it up to try.

You case looks cumbersome. I hate cases but with a phone like this they are needed.

Maybe I will try that screen protector but that means I will have spent like $100 in fucking BS screen protectors. I dislike having to spend $1000 on a phone that needs a case and screen protector to last 2 years of NORMAL use. WTF samsung and apple. Phones used to not need this crap. If I was not so reliant on my phone for work I would run no case and definitely no screen protector. Sucks.
I actually bought 4 Note9's. one for the wife and 2 for my boys. my wife completely demolished her last Note so when researching for the cases and I felt it was necessary to maybe get her the UAG as I don't plan on buying her a phone for a few years especially with how ridiculously phones are costing nowadays so I figure with the cost of the phone might as well get some pretty good protection for it and I decided to get one as well too!

thanks for the heads up for the car mount as I too thought the phone maybe too heave unless they're using super magnets or something?

I was on the fence with the screen protector but from watching all the YouTube videos and reviews it seemed like the way to go. I see cheaper versions but it seemed like it was a hit or miss...probably has to do with not installing it correctly?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
I just got done with case shopping for an S9 I just picked up. I think the UAG and Otterbox definitely offer the most protection but also make the phone look too bulky. I wanted something a bit slimmer in design so I settled on the Caseology legion. Congrats on the new purchase.
The UAG and Otterbox does look bulky but the UAG actually looks kinda cool. I don't put my phone in my pocket anymore so I guess the bulky should be fine.
Appreciate 1
Mardio197.00
      10-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

How is there a thread about a cell phone and it isn't about an iPhone? What wizardry is this? People actually use phones other than apple products? I also realize there be less than 10 people post in this thread....but only because their iPhone hasn't told them to.

I'm still rocking a Note 5. Got all kinds of excited when the 7 came out and equally disappointed when they brought it back in. I'll be pulling the trigger on a 9 later this month.

I worked in the cell phone industry for years and this was my first Samsung phone. I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase; I've been carrying the same phone for 3 years. The apple fanboys always talk their shit, but how many of them can say an iPhone lasted 3 years?

My only complaint about the phone is the colors based on carriers. Some of us could care less about being all extra with our phone colors. Black is preferred. Considering wrapping it in vinyl and then slapping a clear case on it.
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Im just waiting on the price to come down, my Galaxy s8+ still works fine, just has a smashed screen....
      10-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
How is there a thread about a cell phone and it isn't about an iPhone? What wizardry is this? People actually use phones other than apple products? I also realize there be less than 10 people post in this thread....but only because their iPhone hasn't told them to.

I'm still rocking a Note 5. Got all kinds of excited when the 7 came out and equally disappointed when they brought it back in. I'll be pulling the trigger on a 9 later this month.

I worked in the cell phone industry for years and this was my first Samsung phone. I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase; I've been carrying the same phone for 3 years. The apple fanboys always talk their shit, but how many of them can say an iPhone lasted 3 years?

My only complaint about the phone is the colors based on carriers. Some of us could care less about being all extra with our phone colors. Black is preferred. Considering wrapping it in vinyl and then slapping a clear case on it.
Hey, I upgraded from a Note 5 to 9. The Note 5 was the only phone I ever owned that did everything I needed it to fast enough. I never needed to upgrade. If it wasn't for some fucking water I would have kept the Note 5.

That being said the Note 9 is nice and has some features I like. The battery life is good...for now.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I upgraded from a Note 5 to 9. The Note 5 was the only phone I ever owned that did everything I needed it to fast enough. I never needed to upgrade. If it wasn't for some fucking water I would have kept the Note 5.

That being said the Note 9 is nice and has some features I like. The battery life is good...for now.
The only reason I am upgrading is that I have a small hairline fracture in my display and the the liquid crystal is starting to bleed. Still usable an most of the time it's not even noticeable, but with what I do for work I do not want to be stuck in a situation where it stops working on me midday. I am not a fan of the price but I do use it quite a bit for work, so it's worth it in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:

The only reason I am upgrading is that I have a small hairline fracture in my display and the the liquid crystal is starting to bleed. Still usable an most of the time it's not even noticeable, but with what I do for work I do not want to be stuck in a situation where it stops working on me midday. I am not a fan of the price but I do use it quite a bit for work, so it's worth it in the long run.
I thought it was AMOLED and not LCD
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I thought it was AMOLED and not LCD
You're right. AMOLED....LCD....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I worked for Qualcomm back in San Diego when they first started CDMA technology which than they patent that and sold the technology to everyone. I just upgrade from the Note3 lol cause I couldn't get how much the phones kept going up in price each year so I kept my Note3 all these years but it was finally time to upgrade lol!

There's actually 2 new colors coming out this month...Black and Silver but I prefer the Ocean Blue i got
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Im just waiting on the price to come down, my Galaxy s8+ still works fine, just has a smashed screen....
My wife actually called Sprint and they had a special buy 1 get one free for like 2 days only so she bought 4 of them. The promo also included a free LG Tablet so we got 2 of them for free . I told my coworkers about it but by the time they called they decided to remove that promotion.

here's the LG tablet

I will say guys that the Whitestone glass dome screen protector is the shits! Install was easy as I did all 4 phones. $60 for a 2 pack on Amazon with free shipping using Prime. Got it in like 2 days. My coworker bought a Note9 but he used a $10 screen protector from Ebay but his had a matte finish to it and the screen seemed hazy. When I showed him mine he couldn't believe how clear and glossy it was. He couldn't even see the protector itself. Waiting for the Red Monarch UAG's to be delivered

here's the installation/cradle tray the phone sits in while you're applying the liquid. you can see the liquid dispersing under the lens protector

and here's the UV curing process

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 10-03-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I worked for Qualcomm back in San Diego when they first started CDMA technology which than they patent that and sold the technology to everyone. I just upgrade from the Note3 lol cause I couldn't get how much the phones kept going up in price each year so I kept my Note3 all these years but it was finally time to upgrade lol!

There's actually 2 new colors coming out this month...Black and Silver but I prefer the Ocean Blue i got
Man it's been a long time since I've heard anyone mention CDMA or TDMA for that matter. I've forgot more about dated cell phone technology than most people will ever understand. What did you do for Qualcomm?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man it's been a long time since I've heard anyone mention CDMA or TDMA for that matter. I've forgot more about dated cell phone technology than most people will ever understand. What did you do for Qualcomm?
I worked in the Engineering Quality Control department. this was back in 95-98? i'm trying to remember what we called the phones back than...I know it was cell phones? this is when CDMA first hit the market. everyone else was still analog. this was about the time that the stadium in San Diego was called Jack Murphy than got bought out by Qualcomm. but here's the first CDMA phone that was released by Sprint from Sony

than they had versions of these in various colors and what not

this one I remember being involved with the mechanical engineering of mouthpiece that flips down and the phone was smaller. it was a piece of crap!

and than the very first smart phone which wasn't really smart but it was more windows based

LOL than they sold the CDMA technology to all the carriers which put Qualcomm cell phone manufacturing out of business so they picked up and moved the facility to Mexico which ended my career and I end up moving onto other things
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Does this come with the optional extra - exploding battery?

Regards,
Apple user.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

Regards,
Apple user.
IPhone FanBoy

my buddy hated to give up his Note7 phone when that battery exploding incident happened. never turned his phone in when they sent out those recall notices so they turned his services off. he was pissed!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #20
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
The apple fanboys always talk their shit, but how many of them can say an iPhone lasted 3 years?
All of mine have lasted at least 4 years and continue to work flawlessly as that is their use cycle. 2 Years of heavy use by me and then 2 years of moderate use by my wife. I still have 2 iPhone 6 that are working well as "entertainment devices" only because I have not sold them yet and there is no reason to have another phone line on them.

3 years is amateur.

I do have to say the Note 9 is a nice looking phone though. Congrats on the new phones!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
IPhone FanBoy

my buddy hated to give up his Note7 phone when that battery exploding incident happened. never turned his phone in when they sent out those recall notices so they turned his services off. he was pissed!
One of my old coworkers was the same. He loved that phone and was pissed when they did the mandatory recall and weren't allowing it on planes. I don't know if he ever gave the phone up in the end
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

Regards,
Apple user.
How do you like that Samsung display you're using on your iPhone?
Appreciate 2