04-05-2022, 03:53 AM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
There was a rathole house next door to us that just got torn down. The woman who bought it lives on the other side of that former house from us. She said she was going to leave some of the trees standing, but today there is a crew there cutting down six huge pine trees. I can understand her wanting to get rid of them as they shed a shit ton of needles on her driveway. But it's still sad seeing those 6 trees and mine all going away in one day.
You wouldn't be living near Isengard perchance?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 04:50 AM   #24
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Sorry to see that poor planning on the electric company when putting the wires underground. They should know that. I just went through this with a 50 year old Japanese Maple. The city paid to put in a new Tree.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16966.50
      04-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #25
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Sorry to see that poor planning on the electric company when putting the wires underground. They should know that. I just went through this with a 50 year old Japanese Maple. The city paid to put in a new Tree.
They wouldn't even remove the stump for me. But I suppose it doesn't matter. The green boxes are all crooked and look like shit, so the stump is secondary. I may plant some burning bushes around them just to hide them from out view.

Any of you folks with landscaping experience have a neat trick to make use of a large, flat stump? Garden gnomes are out. I don't do kitsch. Maybe a big planter?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #26
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Not a tree hugger, but I love trees, and personally, I think the tree has more right to be there than the electricals.

Just a week ago we lost a third of a "shared tree" with neighbor to wind. Apparently it has split into 3 pieces over the years (like an upside down tri-pod), and it was only a matter of time before one or more of the sections failed. Worse than that is the fact that another section will have to be pruned, leaving just the one.

It's my favorite tree, and I've used it, and its leaves MANY times in photo's, so it really breaks my heart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Buug95917426.00
      04-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #27
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Any of you folks with landscaping experience have a neat trick to make use of a large, flat stump? Garden gnomes are out. I don't do kitsch. Maybe a big planter?
I hear that they make great mounts for 1970's big ugly satellite dishes.....
      04-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #28
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I hear that they make great mounts for 1970's big ugly satellite dishes.....
There's still one laying on the ground in the other yard. I could drag it over. Maybe mount the 6' dish facing up and fill it with plants?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615333.00
      04-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #29
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Shame you didn't have the foresight to ask them to leave the stump @ 6' height....

You could hire a local artisan to custom sculpt something out of it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615333.00
      04-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Fat chance finding anyone in this area with that skill. But a 3' high stump would have made a nice looking planter. I may just buy a large barrel planter to set on it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
They wouldn't even remove the stump for me. But I suppose it doesn't matter. The green boxes are all crooked and look like shit, so the stump is secondary. I may plant some burning bushes around them just to hide them from out view.

At the NC house there is a large stump of what I think was an oak tree that I guess must have been too close to the house for comfort. The previous owner had a large pot with flowers on top of it. It’s pretty short so I don’t recall even noticing it when we saw the house.

Anyways last year around maybe Sept-Oct HUGE mushrooms started growing around it. Not knowing anything about mushrooms I yanked them out and threw them away. However after more research I found out it was hen of the wood mushrooms which are edible and according to some quite good. If they come back this year I might give it a shot and try cooking a little bit of it to see.
Appreciate 0