BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #45
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Also the software sucks. I have a '21 e-tron, traded in an '18 X3 and the X3 app and iDrive were miles ahead.

Aside from software stability, Audi is missing things like remote camera view in the app, setting heated seats to turn on at a specific temp, custom power tailgate height setting, and a whole lot more. Also the app remote control like climate and locks only work about 50% of the time.

I love the e-tron for a variety of reasons but I'm excited to get back to BMW when it's time.
Interested in hearing more about your thoughts on this. I have found Audi's latest MMI to be pretty good in the Q7 / Q8. I don't have much time with iDrive 7 but found it to also be good, but that's just been on test drives really.

Does iDrive have the ability to display google sat. images on the map? I've never tried to see if that's possible.

You should have custom tailgate height settings. All VAG cars have for a while. Pull it manually to your desired height and then press and hold the close button until it beeps. Should work.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #46
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
Also the software sucks. I have a '21 e-tron, traded in an '18 X3 and the X3 app and iDrive were miles ahead.

Aside from software stability, Audi is missing things like remote camera view in the app, setting heated seats to turn on at a specific temp, custom power tailgate height setting, and a whole lot more. Also the app remote control like climate and locks only work about 50% of the time.

I love the e-tron for a variety of reasons but I'm excited to get back to BMW when it's time.
Interested in hearing more about your thoughts on this. I have found Audi's latest MMI to be pretty good in the Q7 / Q8. I don't have much time with iDrive 7 but found it to also be good, but that's just been on test drives really.

Does iDrive have the ability to display google sat. images on the map? I've never tried to see if that's possible.

You should have custom tailgate height settings. All VAG cars have for a while. Pull it manually to your desired height and then press and hold the close button until it beeps. Should work.
From what I understand via reviews, the iX can show CarPlay maps (guessing just Apple Maps) but not Android Google Maps. I don't know if that's work for Google to support or BMW, but the vehicle interface seems capable of such things.

I'd say the e-tron MMI looks nice and is simpler in functionality (the missing features I mentioned are just the ones I noticed). It makes a good enough impression.

It is probably about as stable as the iDrive from my X3, that is to say on a blue moon the backup cam might not work or it might reboot, but overall it works well. I experienced that in both cars.

I will say wireless CarPlay on the e-tron cuts out while streaming music, and it does so religiously in certain areas of town, so I suspect interference. The X3 never did this in these areas.

The real pain point with Audi has been the app, which isn't getting better. Remote commands often just don't work, and again missing features.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #47
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the tip on custom tailgate height. I'll check that out. I just would have liked to see something in the interface though, that wouldn't be in danger of overriding if I push buttons a certain way on the rear hatch.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6780.00
      02-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #48
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:

I second the software woes mentioned in the e-tron. In 7 months of ownership mine has spent around a month back at the dealer while they tried fixing a slew of errors and an MMI that would simply lock up when searching for an address. The operating principle of MIB2 (Audis name for it) is simple but they are definitely not a software company. And yeah, the app and remote features are very basic and more often than not the app fails to connect with the car. I’ve mostly just given up being bothered by these things since my iX order is in the order bank and I’ll be rid of the e-tron in a couple of months.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6780.00
      02-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #49
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

Android Auto/Google Maps works just fine with my MY20 x40i and iDrive 7 (including sat view). I can't imagine it would be different with iDrive 8, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe an Android iX user can chime in - they should outnumber iOS users about 3:1.

* Addendum - I believe question answered:

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-06-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #50
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Android Auto/Google Maps works just fine with my MY20 x40i and iDrive 7 (including sat view). I can't imagine it would be different with iDrive 8, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe an Android iX user can chime in - they should outnumber iOS users about 3:1.

* Addendum - I believe question answered:

I think what the OP was asking relates to iDrive native nav showing satellite maps rather than just drawn maps. The answer there is no. It’s been a feature for a while where you can see a satellite image if you zoom far enough out but down to useable zoom for navigation it only shows the drawn maps.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15602.50
      02-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #51
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I think what the OP was asking relates to iDrive native nav showing satellite maps rather than just drawn maps. The answer there is no. It’s been a feature for a while where you can see a satellite image if you zoom far enough out but down to useable zoom for navigation it only shows the drawn maps.
I think that's correct for any version of iDrive, as opposed to newer versions of MMI's native view (VAG elected to delete Google Earth from existing, already purchased 2019 and earlier Q7s however, which came with it originally - a whole other topic). The Android Auto Google map, however, can be shown in satellite view in at least iDrive 7 and apparently 8, on the iDrive display (not the instrument cluster).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #52
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on custom tailgate height. I'll check that out. I just would have liked to see something in the interface though, that wouldn't be in danger of overriding if I push buttons a certain way on the rear hatch.
I'm doubtful that you'd ever accidentally override it. You would have to manually push it higher than your current set point, and then press and hold the open / close button until you hear the confirmation tone. That's about a 3-5 second press, far less than you normally would press it. Plus, the hatch wouldn't move and you'd hear a confirmation tone.

let's put it this way, I've had our Cayenne 8 years and it's been set lower for our garage door clearance from day one, and neither my wife nor my kids have ever managed to re-set the opening height.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #53
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Correct. I was asking about displaying Google satellite imagery on it's native map application. Not using ACP or Android Auto to use Google maps. That's one thing that the Audi system can do that I like, as I currently have it in my Tesla and find it quite entertaining (and somewhat useful as well, lol).

Thanks to all who answered though, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0