BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-16-2024, 07:15 PM   #1
quasar81
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

21” tires unavailable?

My 2023 IX 50 needs new tires already after 30000miles….yea we have lot of highway miles, but surprised they lasted only 30k.

Anyways, I am trying to get new ones and no one seems to have 255 50R21 size. I am looking for M+S All season rating as we take it to Tahoe snow in winter. IX came with Goodyear touring ones from Germany.

America Tire and Costco says they contacted Michelin for Primacy A/S but they are too busy producing other sizes that they can’t have.

Anyone else facing similar issues? Which tire folks in US might have this size with M+S.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 07:23 PM   #2
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Tire Rack has them and many local installers will do the installation. And Discount Tire has many of the choices, but I think the Michelins are on back order.
      04-17-2024, 06:57 AM   #3
SignMD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 iX50, 23 Mercedes EQE 500

Wow, first of all, Congratulations on getting 30k miles out of your OEM Goodyear Eagles. I had a flat at 9,600 miles on my Goodyears and decided to replace them all at 9,600 miles since they were already at 6-7/32. The flat was unrepairable so I kept the others for my lease turn in or if I need one quickly for some reason (it took me 8 days to get up and running on my new Michelins).

You are correct there is not much availabilty for the 21" tire. Tire Rack shows the Michelins and Goodyears both out of stock. Those are the only two all season tires they show for the iX. The others are summer / performance. I find this very concerning and now I probably will carry a spare. The BMW fix system doesn't work well with the OEM tires as they have foam inside for noise reduction. Fix a flat is not recommended either https://www.fixaflat.com/pages/can-f...in-quiet-tires

I am fortunate, my brother-in-law works for Dealer Tire so I was able to get my Michelins from him since Dealer Tire has stock not available to most resellers (other than Dealers). But during my seach process for new tires I did come across the OEM Goodyears from Priority Tire at an incredible price.

https://www.prioritytire.com/by-bran...vehicle=179484

These are brand new but might be older stock (2021-2022) but should be fine. They have some promo codes that might even make them a little less but still much less than Tire Rack's $400 plus price.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SignMD; 04-17-2024 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003980.50
      04-17-2024, 09:18 AM   #4
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

BMW dealers used to be highway robbery for tires, but they realized they were losing almost all tire sales, so most dealers drastically reduced tire prices (of course dealers vary).

Most BMW dealers have to keep tires in stock or at least easily available, especially for cars under warranty.

Did you see if any BMW dealer has your 21' tires?
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 04:13 PM   #5
quasar81
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMD View Post
Wow, first of all, Congratulations on getting 30k miles out of your OEM Goodyear Eagles. I had a flat at 9,600 miles on my Goodyears and decided to replace them all at 9,600 miles since they were already at 6-7/32. The flat was unrepairable so I kept the others for my lease turn in or if I need one quickly for some reason (it took me 8 days to get up and running on my new Michelins).

You are correct there is not much availabilty for the 21" tire. Tire Rack shows the Michelins and Goodyears both out of stock. Those are the only two all season tires they show for the iX. The others are summer / performance. I find this very concerning and now I probably will carry a spare. The BMW fix system doesn't work well with the OEM tires as they have foam inside for noise reduction. Fix a flat is not recommended either https://www.fixaflat.com/pages/can-f...in-quiet-tires

I am fortunate, my brother-in-law works for Dealer Tire so I was able to get my Michelins from him since Dealer Tire has stock not available to most resellers (other than Dealers). But during my seach process for new tires I did come across the OEM Goodyears from Priority Tire at an incredible price.

https://www.prioritytire.com/by-bran...vehicle=179484

These are brand new but might be older stock (2021-2022) but should be fine. They have some promo codes that might even make them a little less but still much less than Tire Rack's $400 plus price.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for info. I will try priority tire. Found another ones - Simple Tire and they seem to have some stock. Haven’t tried dealers….ripoff reputation.
Appreciate 0