Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-16-2023, 05:44 AM   #1
sdsurf86
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Angry Replace engine?

Hey guys I’m having a dilemma, I need help in deciding what to do with my i8, the mechanics summarized it best in his email to me today;

“car was towed-in due to the other shop unable to bleed the coolant system after their repairs. . We run short test, overheat faults. Showed faulty water pump. Upon removing the water pump, exposed dampener damaged, separated. We replaced the water pump, thermostat and after long back-order status, the dampener. Performed bleed procedure per BMW guidelines . Still overheats. Since we were unable to run the engine until the dampener was replaced, could not perform engine block test . After testing, discovered internal engine damage. Engine replaced recommended.”

do I get a new engine or trade the car in? My thought process on this is if I trade it in won’t they low ball me more than what the cost of a new engine would be anyway?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

I have been under the impression that since the engine is a small 3 cylinder turbo its actually cheap to replace.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Most likely a blown head gasket. If you didn’t totally cook the engine when it overheated.

The head can be resurfaced and a thicker head gasket is available to keep the same clearances and compression. Remember….it’s just a Mini Cooper engine with stronger internal parts.

I’d get another opinion versus just a blanket quote of “ replace entire engine “.
Used low mileage i8 engines can be purchased for around $8-10k with a guarantee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37449944546...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Coastali8; 06-16-2023 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #4
sdsurf86
Rep

all good points, I hear back from him Monday, I think its odd he wouldnt include an estimate with he email ������
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Hmmm.... this sounds a lot like what happened to my i8. They diagnosed coolant leak and then electrolysis. Replaced engine and cooling system on warranty.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
sdsurf86
Rep

Update: Well guys, the inconcsistencies just keep rolling, here is the most recent email from the mechanic working on my car;

"Hi Dereck, bleed procedure were performed as per BMW and your videos. There is engine damage. Recommendation is replacing the engine. Wasn’t the original cause of the overheating from the radiator being damaged?? If so, then possibly your car insurance could pay? Result of road damage?"

Theyre quoting me $30k, thanks to coastali8 i see an i8 engine on ebay for $10k so just trying to figure out who i can get to put this in for me. But heres what I dont like; he originally stated "we wont be able to see if theres engine damage until we take the engine out" well as far as i know the engine remains intact in the vehicle.

Thoughts? Thanks guys & gals.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 03:15 PM   #7
sdsurf86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Hmmm.... this sounds a lot like what happened to my i8. They diagnosed coolant leak and then electrolysis. Replaced engine and cooling system on warranty.

after all of that was the problem finally fixed? i dont know how it was for everyone else but shopping around for my i8 i found it impossible to find a warranty offered with these cars
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 08:15 AM   #8
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
If the engine runs they can check the compression and check for coolant contamination with oil and/or a combustion leak for a blown head gasket or cracked block. They can get a lot of diagnostic information without pulling the engine out of the car first. If what they say is true about the cooling system being properly bled then the overheating is likely being caused by hot combustion gases escaping into the coolant.

https://www.blocktester.com/product/...leak-test-kit/

I’d find another repair shop. It sounds like they just want to make a bunch of money.

Talking to your insurance company and trying to claim the cause of the engine damage was from road damage to the radiator might work. Give it a try. Good luck.

Lesson learned.
When the CEL warning appeared….stop driving.

Last edited by Coastali8; 06-25-2023 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:47 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Good as new

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsurf86 View Post
after all of that was the problem finally fixed? i dont know how it was for everyone else but shopping around for my i8 i found it impossible to find a warranty offered with these cars
Yup, totally fixed. Brand new engine and coolant system. Working perfectly for about a year.

Car was under 5-year BMW CPO warranty; I asked for and got a year extension on the warranty.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00
      07-23-2023, 12:51 AM   #10
sdsurf86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
If the engine runs they can check the compression and check for coolant contamination with oil and/or a combustion leak for a blown head gasket or cracked block. They can get a lot of diagnostic information without pulling the engine out of the car first. If what they say is true about the cooling system being properly bled then the overheating is likely being caused by hot combustion gases escaping into the coolant.

https://www.blocktester.com/product/...leak-test-kit/

I’d find another repair shop. It sounds like they just want to make a bunch of money.

Talking to your insurance company and trying to claim the cause of the engine damage was from road damage to the radiator might work. Give it a try. Good luck.

Lesson learned.
When the CEL warning appeared….stop driving.

Thanks man super important info and very helpful, all good points I will be returning to bmw with and make. So I filed it with my insurance but they’re refusing to pay it out because they don’t have the radiator that was damaged to look at.

So I think Monday I will be demanding bmw puts my car back into driveable condition and I will go pick it up and take it somewhere else. But here’s where I need advice…

I originally took it to bmw for a engine coolant bleed job ($400) but then they started adding all this additional work that needs to be done (sensor and water pump $3200) all of which failed to solve the problem. And I don’t feel I am liable for to pay. What happens when you refuse to pay for services a service department talked you into getting but didn’t solve the issue with the car? Basically I wanna go pick up my car Monday and pay for the coolant bleed I originally requested and agreed to because these other “fixes” they recommended, did not solve the problem. Can they refuse to release my car to me? (FYI: I signed no such agreement to agree to pay for the extra added on work that would “definitely fix it this time”)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #11
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Replacing stuff is often part of the troubleshooting process.

It does sound like a different approach to the overheating problem should have been addressed with some testing versus replacing.

The dealership should have supplied you with a written estimate for any additional repairs beyond the original coolant bleed or at least called you to get your approval to do more work. If you didn’t agree to the additional repairs then they shouldn’t charge you. If you did agree then your stuck.

Sometimes you can just pay for parts and not labor but they probably won’t release the car until you pay. Then about all you can do is dispute the charge on your credit card or take them to small claims court.

Last edited by Coastali8; 07-23-2023 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 01:45 AM   #12
sdsurf86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
Replacing stuff is often part of the troubleshooting process.

It does sound like a different approach to the overheating problem should have been addressed with some testing versus replacing.

The dealership should have supplied you with a written estimate for any additional repairs beyond the original coolant bleed or at least called you to get your approval to do more work. If you didn’t agree to the additional repairs then they shouldn’t charge you. If you did agree then your stuck.

Sometimes you can just pay for parts and not labor but they probably won’t release the car until you pay. Then about all you can do is dispute the charge on your credit card or take them to small claims court.
Thanks Coastali8 ill let you know what happens tomorrow 🤞🏾
Appreciate 0