BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

surveillance camera systems?

I've had 2 break-ins at my investment property, and would like to get some faces next time to show to the police. The house is accessible in the front, and back. Ideally, I'd like 2 cameras on each exterior door, and 2 in-home cameras. I'd like to keep the cost under $600. I also need remote access to full resolution footage, and I'd like to see faces clearly

So far my choices are a 4 CCT camera kit, with a h264 DVR, 500gb hard drive, four 420 line 1/3" sony sensor cameras with night vision. http://www.lypctech.com/pro_show.asp?sendid=498 $439 for this kit w/4cameras

or

this much easier to install, higher resolution, but $550 for only 2 cameras. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Outdo...6765890&sr=8-1

any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the logitech since it uploads footage to a server, and I don't have to worry about tenants messing with the cables, or the DVR
      05-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

The logitech security system looks good. Especially since you can view activity from a portable device.

Great Features
Motion-triggered alerts sent to your Iphone or email
HD-quality video, night vision and wide-angle lens from the cameras.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Simmad555
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Be careful with "Night Vision" cameras, they tend to wash peoples faces out when close-up. I have nine cameras around the perimeter of my house. Several incidents occurred where I could see the person and their vehicle, but the infrared reflected off of the person's face and license plate making it impossible to identify anyone. Low lux (light) cameras do a much better job with only a minimal amount of lighting. Even a dim exterior light provides enough light to see very clearly.

Also dome cameras are a little harder to interfere with and placement is critical, looking at the top of someone's head is useless, but putting it too low makes it prone to be tampered with.

Not sure if any of this helps, but it isn't easy to get the perfect set-up and thankfully cameras are a fairly decent deterrent to begin with. Putting up a CCTV camera sign also deters some people.

Retired '07 E92 335i - 6MT, Sapphire Black, Saddle, Sport, Premium
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Eeighty8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E88

As a former security professional, here's my $.02.

9/10 times, you are left with a half blurry picture of the dude that broke in. Unless the cops catch him in the act, and actively go back over all the break-ins in the area, you aren't going to get much justice. True, domes are a deterrent, and you might consider one on each door, but I think you'd be better served with a few motion sensors on the interior tied to an Ademco panel with monitoring. The motions get tripped, the police are dispatched to your property.

Also if the break-ins happen at night, those motion activated flood lights do some deterring as well.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

motion sensors tied to an alarm wouldn't help because there are several tenants going in and out of the property. I already have a light up front, and can easily put in an efficient CCFL in the back for lighting. Based on screen stills I've seen, it looks like the Logitech performs a bit poorly in the dark, and a better soluition would probably be 700TVL sony cameras with HAD II sensors on the 2 outside enterances, and 2 concealed smoke detector style 420TVL cameras inside. Hell, with an 8 channel DVR, I can even put an extra peephole camera on face level inside each door, for another chance to catch a face

I found decent DVRs with networking capabilities for $180. Cameras are $160 for the good 700TVL ones, and $40 each for the interior ones

$580 total
      06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
motion sensors tied to an alarm wouldn't help because there are several tenants going in and out of the property. I already have a light up front, and can easily put in an efficient CCFL in the back for lighting. Based on screen stills I've seen, it looks like the Logitech performs a bit poorly in the dark, and a better soluition would probably be 700TVL sony cameras with HAD II sensors on the 2 outside enterances, and 2 concealed smoke detector style 420TVL cameras inside. Hell, with an 8 channel DVR, I can even put an extra peephole camera on face level inside each door, for another chance to catch a face

I found decent DVRs with networking capabilities for $180. Cameras are $160 for the good 700TVL ones, and $40 each for the interior ones

$580 total
Can you post details of the DVR you found? I'm also looking into some security cameras. The Sony 700TVL cameras seem like a good value. It probably won't get you a plate number, but they seem pretty clear at night.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

The best solution is face level. Conceal them, put them behind glass, whatever. Normal camera placement us useless. I can't do anything with tops of heads unless there is something VERY distinct or we know the suspect. All you get is a video of your shit getting stolen. Thankfully, VHS are a thing of the past. Get the HD version of any camera you can and go for the best low light performance available. So many people skimp on these systems and then complain that the images are useful. HD allows us to enhance the image to get important details. Just my 2 pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeighty8 View Post
As a former security professional, here's my $.02.

9/10 times, you are left with a half blurry picture of the dude that broke in. Unless the cops catch him in the act, and actively go back over all the break-ins in the area, you aren't going to get much justice. True, domes are a deterrent, and you might consider one on each door, but I think you'd be better served with a few motion sensors on the interior tied to an Ademco panel with monitoring. The motions get tripped, the police are dispatched to your property.

Also if the break-ins happen at night, those motion activated flood lights do some deterring as well.

Good luck.

I like the motion detection with flood lights....

when someone has lights shined on them they 9 times out of 10 run away because there cover is blown by the mighty light.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
The best solution is face level. Conceal them, put them behind glass, whatever. Normal camera placement us useless. I can't do anything with tops of heads unless there is something VERY distinct or we know the suspect. All you get is a video of your shit getting stolen. Thankfully, VHS are a thing of the past. Get the HD version of any camera you can and go for the best low light performance available. So many people skimp on these systems and then complain that the images are useful. HD allows us to enhance the image to get important details. Just my 2 pennies.
I agree, you also have to set everything at best possible recording quality which will give you less recording time.
It's great to check on your place on your blackberry or pc when out of town.
      06-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
I like the motion detection with flood lights....

when someone has lights shined on them they 9 times out of 10 run away because there cover is blown by the mighty light.
You also can get the smarthome ones that trigger each other so when one comes on they all do etc.
      10-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

i was gonna make another thread asking people what their recommendations are for low light security systems, but figured I'll just bump this one...if any one has first hand experience with any systems and are happy/unhappy with them.

any input is appreciated thanks
      10-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

On top of the getting cameras, have you also thought about getting some _really_ bright motion-sensor flood lights???
      10-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I ordered 2 of these. Quick test was good in a small room in pitch black. Will install this month I hope

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sprefix=foscam
      10-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

^ how many TVL's is that one
      10-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

resolutions is 640x480. good enough for home use
      10-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #16
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Put a "no trespassing" sign up and have it say "you have been warned". Then halfway to the door, put another sign up that says "Last warning" Then proceed to electrify the door like an electric fence.

j/k don't do that

anyways besides the cameras maybe you should install a couple pressure pads under something like a welcome mat, also inside the building under a 4'x6' carpet after both entrances. Alert your staff about the new pressure pads, and you will be alerted as soon as one gets tripped so you can rush there to catch them in the act. (Oh, and you probably want to line either the right or left side of the carpet or something along those lines, leaving ample room for authorized personnel to pass by without tripping the sensors while activated.)

Trust me these work, i've used them before. The last thing thieves think about is pressure pads under a floor mat.
Appreciate 0