JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post Depreciation on i8, and increased production

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I visited my BMWi dealer a couple of days ago, and had a conversation about supply, demand and depreciation of the i8. Note that this relates to the UK market.

I ordered my car in August 2014, so it took exactly 8 months for delivery.

I asked when I could get an i8 if I ordered one that day. I was told they have sold their entire 2015 allocation, and I would wait between 9-10 months for a car.

So, despite increased production, it appears that demand has increased more.

I was told that BMW were taking back all demo cars, and replacing them.

I asked about prices of used i8 cars. I was told that BMW are going to sell their demo cars at 98% of new price. I was also told that the i8 is retaining its value extremely well, and better than the i3.

Finally, I was told there is a rumoured new factory colour coming. They did not know what colour, but were guessing at green. Personally I think yellow is more likely and would look stunning. I would probably even have chosen a yellow i8.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I visited my BMWi dealer a couple of days ago, and had a conversation about supply, demand and depreciation of the i8. Note that this relates to the UK market.

I ordered my car in August 2014, so it took exactly 8 months for delivery.

I asked when I could get an i8 if I ordered one that day. I was told they have sold their entire 2015 allocation, and I would wait between 9-10 months for a car.

So, despite increased production, it appears that demand has increased more.

I was told that BMW were taking back all demo cars, and replacing them.

I asked about prices of used i8 cars. I was told that BMW are going to sell their demo cars at 98% of new price. I was also told that the i8 is retaining its value extremely well, and better than the i3.

Finally, I was told there is a rumoured new factory colour coming. They did not know what colour, but were guessing at green. Personally I think yellow is more likely and would look stunning. I would probably even have chosen a yellow i8.
Thank you good information to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
JDN
Registered
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post

I have spoken to several UK dealers in the last few weeks about lead times....the consensus is that delivery would early next year. No news about any forthcoming specification changes.

I had an conversation with an acquaintance who is in management at a large multi dealer group who said they were very pleased with the i8. Apparently the car is selling well to purchasers who have not troubled BMW for many years if at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
I have spoken to several UK dealers in the last few weeks about lead times....the consensus is that delivery would early next year. No news about any forthcoming specification changes.

I had an conversation with an acquaintance who is in management at a large multi dealer group who said they were very pleased with the i8. Apparently the car is selling well to purchasers who have not troubled BMW for many years if at all.
I am absolutely one of the "new customers." Besides a 2006 M Roadster I have NEVER even looked at BMW. Now I am hoping they can do more of the i8 type cars. This has completely changed my perception.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I LOVE DRIVING THIS THING! My 911 and Aston gets no love these days
      04-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Jas, for what it's worth...

I recently had a 'temporary' i8 which i bought waiting for the car i ordered in August last year.

I bought that tenporary car brand new from a friend (he had to be 1st owner on v5 as bmw would not have it any other way. Drove it 3 month and 800 miles.

Bmw parklane whom i was buying the new car from, bid me £85k to to take back the other car. I sold it privately for £100k overnight. Got bids from independent dealers for £96k or there abouts.

Long story short: don't rely on bmw dealers to support the value of those cars. They are as rogue as can be. Once they sold you a brand new car, they could not care less about what happens next.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Making them so fast now they don't even bother putting them on a covered transport anymore

Last edited by Carac; 04-09-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:39 AM   #8
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

how much i8 sold in UK (include tax)....?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago View Post
how much i8 sold in UK (include tax)....?
Just over £105k now I believe. All in with delivery and taxes, perhaps £110k, but will be more than that after you add extras. Then you get £5k back from the government. So net, probably £110k plus a bit for extras.

Reason I am unsure is because I bought mine prior to the price increase
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
UKi8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, RR Sport

First post as my first BMW....I ordered my i8 (UK) in mid-March. After originally visiting the dealership I was told 12 months wait - organised a test drive of a second hand (above list px) car at an independent, decided I wanted one but thought I'd try the dealer again to see if there was anything they could do to get an earlier build slot. Once I'd done the spec, came up as wk 32 delivery, just received a call that it's been brought forward a couple more months so fingers crossed for beginning of June. Bizarre process, potentially down to only 3 months delivery time...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKi8 View Post
First post as my first BMW....I ordered my i8 (UK) in mid-March. After originally visiting the dealership I was told 12 months wait - organised a test drive of a second hand (above list px) car at an independent, decided I wanted one but thought I'd try the dealer again to see if there was anything they could do to get an earlier build slot. Once I'd done the spec, came up as wk 32 delivery, just received a call that it's been brought forward a couple more months so fingers crossed for beginning of June. Bizarre process, potentially down to only 3 months delivery time...
That is good news! You can have fun with the car sooner.

I think a little bit is also dealer dependent. I lucked out and got mine in Maryland in 3 months wait (extra allocation), I know others who are still having to wait until august with a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see you have 458. How does the i8 compare. What made you decide?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
UKi8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, RR Sport

Well obviously a completely different beast so hard to compare, the 458 is an incredible car, but for me not always an enjoyable ownership experience...I'd decided to change this year for a few reasons - 488 coming, warranty expiring, tired of having a point-to-point car and also the not always positive attention it seems to attract (also almost like public property every time you go out - would be different if you could be left alone just to drive it!). Couldn't find anything else I liked, went to the dealership to take a look and so the process began...not sure it will be anymore practical (I tried to kid myself with the 2+2 configuration), and will certainly be a novelty until a few more hit the roads, but I loved the ride, feel of the cabin and also the opportunity to try out something "new". I'll definitely miss the fezza when it's gone, and I've taken it on a couple of great euro trips the past summers, but I'm excited about the new experience :-).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKi8
Well obviously a completely different beast so hard to compare, the 458 is an incredible car, but for me not always an enjoyable ownership experience...I'd decided to change this year for a few reasons - 488 coming, warranty expiring, tired of having a point-to-point car and also the not always positive attention it seems to attract (also almost like public property every time you go out - would be different if you could be left alone just to drive it!). Couldn't find anything else I liked, went to the dealership to take a look and so the process began...not sure it will be anymore practical (I tried to kid myself with the 2+2 configuration), and will certainly be a novelty until a few more hit the roads, but I loved the ride, feel of the cabin and also the opportunity to try out something "new". I'll definitely miss the fezza when it's gone, and I've taken it on a couple of great euro trips the past summers, but I'm excited about the new experience :-).
Ill gladly take ur Ferrari for the i8. The biggest thing u will miss is the sound of the engine and exhaust!

Welcome to the club!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
would be different if you could be left alone just to drive it
LOL, good luck with that.

I find my i8 gets FAR more attention than any Ferrari I've driven. Fortunately all the attention is positive, aside from some lunatic driving.

And welcome Where in the UK are you? I'm in Kent.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #16
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I get almost no attention. A few days ago some jokers went by and said "Nice Toyota." I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a Prius. So I just thanked them.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:39 AM   #17
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
cool. Thanks. I drove the 458 and seriously toyed with the idea of owning one. If the i8 had not existed, i would have gone for one. But what i think is that the i8 is a superb all round proposition. Comfortable. Exciting when wanted. I can't wait to travel with mine. I took it out around London this weekend and the attention is jsut ridiculous. Thumbs up everywhere. It's a bit like my classic fiat 500: a folk's hero.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #18
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

I think the price of the car is reasonable compared to the tech it carries. A reasonable price means it will never be a rare beast. Actually due to the unique tax system we have it is a lot cheaper than the x5 my wife drives... It is also made cheaper by the fact that BMW cant deliver laser lights etc. If one wants a rare plugin hybrid, you buy the Porsche 918 Spyder, then agan you need to add a zero to the end of your bill. What bugs me more than production numbers is the total lack of interest from BMW towards i8 buyers, atleast in my case.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #19
Baron UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver i8 & RR vogue v8

Ordered mine back last november. arrived 24/4.

We get great tax benifits here (UK) if you buy as a company car.

I must say since I owned a whale tail cosworth back in 1987 ive not had such a head turner as this

It has so many aspect to its nature..
Appreciate 0