Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-19-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
jplev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Garage List
Charging on Tesla Supercharger Network

I have the Tesla app on my phone because of my Powerwall 2 batteries. I noticed the app updated yesterday, so I started to go through the various options. One of which is to Charge Your Other EV. So I dove in there to find the BMW i4 was one of the vehicles in their list to choose from. One of the questions it asks is if you have an adapter (I do not have an NACS adapter yet). I believe the answer to this is basically a filter whether you need a MagicDock or not. The app says I just scan the code on the side of the charger and begin charging. I charge at home normally on Level 2 charger, but would like to get this worked out for when I travel.

So my question is if anyone here has successfully charged at a public Tesla charging station? If so, did it work well or were there issues? Also, what adapter is best (I called BMW Genius Hotline and they do not recommend any particular brand/model)? I see Lectron sells one for $200, seems like they might be the best one in terms of quality vs some cheap ones on Amazon (which I doubt I want to risk using).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #2
Lorne_k2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e, 2024 i4xDrive40

I didn't think BMW had access to the Tesla network for a while yet, but I downloaded the Tesla app and did like you. I added the i4 to my profile and chose the option that I did not have a NACS adapter. The app then did show Tesla superchargers with the magic dock, but none were very close. But it did seem that once you added payment details to the app charging should work on the Tesla network.

If true that really is amazing. In the FAQ section on the Tesla app it did say the NACS adapter must be provided by your car's manufacturer, but I don't think we've gotten any indication when BMW will be providing them, and at what cost.

I did see that Rivian is providing their customers the adapter at N/C, but I would be surprised if BMW did the same. But we can hope.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:15 PM   #3
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Any EV can charge at a magic dock (the adaptor is built into the charger). No one can charge at any other Tesla charging station until their manufacturer has approval to do so, and the electronic setup is in place (probably 2025 for BMW).
Appreciate 2
note46255.00