11-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Video: Closer look at the BMW iX by Evolve

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had a closer look at the iX at BMW Park Lane last week. This was a BMW UK car so I was not able to take it away for a few days as the official launch had not happened in the UK yet.

I look forward to doing a proper driving review soon.

Appreciate 6
ggalanis2434.50
peteh20.00
MrFoxy376.50
Swappy531.50
thereef5101164.00
Lady Jane70279.00
      11-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

Looks ok, hopefully looks better in person
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
Sjokosaus
Private
Rep
Drives: Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
I had a closer look at the iX at BMW Park Lane last week. This was a BMW UK car so I was not able to take it away for a few days as the official launch had not happened in the UK yet.

I look forward to doing a proper driving review soon.

Just a small fyi Imran, battery capacity is named in kWh, not kW
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 01:12 AM   #4
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Looks ok, hopefully looks better in person
I have liked this car design from the get-go but it def does look quite better in person. BMW had the i4 & iX on display during their recent event at the Angel Stadium. One thing I have had an issue with since the initial release is the rear quarter panel/fender. It looks very droopy, saggy, or blobby, especially when looking at the car from the rear at a 3/4 angle. The shoulder line is way too soft IMO.

Also, I've been hearing this quite often about BMW's newer designs (i.e. G80/2 M3/4 & G42 M240i), but I'm clueless as to what they're referencing. Wtf is the✌🏽skateboard design✌🏽? Anybody??
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:15 AM   #5
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

I had a good look over an iX at BMW Bristol last week as well and it really does impress in person, especially when surround by a car park full of 'normal' cars. Their car was in black and I think that the dark colours are better suited, with all the black plastic bits that don't change with the choice of body colour. Inside is a revelation and it seems like the scuttle is quite low (compared to my X5 45e) so that really helps with visibility and feeling of space.

For skateboard design, that is really a way of describing the batteries being fitted similar to the desk on a skateboard, rather than blocks of batteries placed elsewhere (as they are in the X5). Skateboard also means that motors can be placed in different locations and the wheelbase can be extended, so you get better interior space compared to an ICE/standard chassis design.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjo001 View Post
I had a good look over an iX at BMW Bristol last week as well and it really does impress in person, especially when surround by a car park full of 'normal' cars. Their car was in black and I think that the dark colours are better suited, with all the black plastic bits that don't change with the choice of body colour. Inside is a revelation and it seems like the scuttle is quite low (compared to my X5 45e) so that really helps with visibility and feeling of space.

For skateboard design, that is really a way of describing the batteries being fitted similar to the desk on a skateboard, rather than blocks of batteries placed elsewhere (as they are in the X5). Skateboard also means that motors can be placed in different locations and the wheelbase can be extended, so you get better interior space compared to an ICE/standard chassis design.
Thanks for the info, but how does the skateboard design apply to the new M3/4 and the M240i?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
Thanks for the info, but how does the skateboard design apply to the new M3/4 and the M240i?
It doesn't.
Skateboard chassis only applies to EV with battery packs.
Here's an example from Tesla:

Appreciate 2
Lady Jane70279.00
      11-20-2021, 04:18 AM   #8
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
If you look at G8x and G42 from the side profile you see at the bottom this extruded glossy black crest/side skirt. This looks like the base/platform of a skateboard, where the rest of the chassis has been put on!

So in this case "skateboard design" is really just a design impression and has nothing to to with BEV/battery placement (mechanical layout).
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

I'm quite surprised to say that I like it a lot. Even the front works for me. Great review as usual.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #10
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
If you look at G8x and G42 from the side profile you see at the bottom this extruded glossy black crest/side skirt. This looks like the base/platform of a skateboard, where the rest of the chassis has been put on!

So in this case "skateboard design" is really just a design impression and has nothing to to with BEV/battery placement (mechanical layout).
It is not an external design impression at all. It has to do with the foundation that the vehicle is build upon as nosnoop stated and the Tesla example he provided. All the batteries make up the bottom of the vehicle and as pictured it makes the foundation look like a skateboard! The term skateboard design does not at all refer to the extruded glossy black crest/side skirt that is a design impression.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
It doesn't.
Skateboard chassis only applies to EV with battery packs.
Here's an example from Tesla:

And this is the only section of Tesla that is actually good. (Well, okay, if we remove the suspension from the picture this take would be more accurate)
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50