BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

04-09-2021, 04:22 AM   #1
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Evolve i3S with 6Sixty Design Forged Wheels and Evolve Springs

We recently received our i3s (wife's car!) and of course couldn't leave it standard for long.

We have had some 25mm lowering springs made which we are testing and potentially have a damper upgrade coming soon too. The pictures below were taken when the springs were first fitted. The car has settled now so I will get some updated pictures up soon.

The end goal is to end up with something like this. Working on the front splitter and rear spoiler now.

i3S Rear Quarter Black by Evolve Automotive, on Flickr

i3S Front Quarter Black by Evolve Automotive, on Flickr

i3 S 6Sixty Shuriken + Springs by Evolve Automotive, on Flickr

Last edited by Imran@Evolve; 04-09-2021 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
TimeFor179.50
      04-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Interesting.

While this is not the type of car I would imagine people would tune/customize, I guess its inevitable that its done.

I was not even aware you could get wheels for these cars.

I guess lowering it makes it look cooler, I don't really like the stock shocks on my i3s, the fast compression damping is too harsh.
It works quite well on normal roads and speed bumps, but if you get an uneven surface with lots of small sharp bumps or cobblestone streets it's really bad.
I typically rest my head against the headrest, and in those conditions I hate getting smacked repeatedly in the back if my head.
Reminds me of my old E46 M3 with a KW v3 coilover kit.

Best of luck, will be ice to see the end result.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Interesting.

While this is not the type of car I would imagine people would tune/customize, I guess its inevitable that its done.

I was not even aware you could get wheels for these cars.

I guess lowering it makes it look cooler, I don't really like the stock shocks on my i3s, the fast compression damping is too harsh.
It works quite well on normal roads and speed bumps, but if you get an uneven surface with lots of small sharp bumps or cobblestone streets it's really bad.
I typically rest my head against the headrest, and in those conditions I hate getting smacked repeatedly in the back if my head.
Reminds me of my old E46 M3 with a KW v3 coilover kit.

Best of luck, will be ice to see the end result.
Why wouldn't you want to tune or modify these cars?

With that logic you discredit a large tuning world where making your run of the mill grocery getter a little race car.

Small, light and fun to drive.

I don't get when some people (not you just in general) think that because something is supposed to be green, efficient or whatever is going on in their mind feel that others can't have fun making their cars stand out.

I'm having a great time spending cash on mine. Money be damned ! Can't take it with me!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:38 AM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Those floating spokes are dope. Love love that ... I kind of want these wheels for my car now. But ugh, my lease is up at the end of the year. Would be kind of a waste buying wheels for 6 months.

How's the weight compare the stock? Weight is a huge issue for the i3 range.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

With that logic you discredit a large tuning world where making your run of the mill grocery getter a little race car.

I don't get when some people (not you just in general) think that because something is supposed to be green, efficient or whatever is going on in their mind feel that others can't have fun making their cars stand out.

I'm having a great time spending cash on mine. Money be damned ! Can't take it with me!

Because I, and I guess many others, have these as a daily driver.
My purpose, and many like me, bought the i3 to save money by having an inexpensive car to commute to/from work, shopping and mundane transport.

If I want performance, I'll take my M5 or the Ducati.
If I want to look cool, I'll take the old 8-series or the Ducati.

My i3s is there to be reliable, comfortable, cheap to run and not a car I worry about getting a parking ding or a scratch in.

My point was that since this car is a typical nr #2 "workhorse" car for most, the general interest on modifying these cars is low. Hence the demand for tuning parts is low.
Low demand = no production as there is no money to be made.

While I will admit that the i3s is a much more fun car to drive than I first thought, I still like it stock.
Putting on cool wheels and bigger tires will hurt the range, there is little that can be done in the engine performance area, that kind of leaves esthetic mods.

My i3s is red with black wheels, so it certainly stand out compared to all the white, silver, black and dark blue ones.
I actually got the "s" model for the sole purpose of looking better than the standard model.
But other than getting a vinyl wrap, there is not much you can really do to these cars to change them.

My comment was not meant to be negative, there are 26.000 i3's in my country, I typically see 20++ every time I go for a drive, not a single one has been modified, in the national for sale listings, I may have come across 2-3 that has had some work done, hence it's an observation that these cars don't get "tuned"
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s

Last edited by Noggie; 04-10-2021 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Because I, and I guess many others, have these as a daily driver.
My purpose, and many like me, bought the i3 to save money by having an inexpensive car to commute to/from work, shopping and mundane transport.

If I want performance, I'll take my M5 or the Ducati.
If I want to look cool, I'll take the old 8-series or the Ducati.

My i3s is there to be reliable, comfortable, cheap to run and not a car I worry about getting a parking ding or a scratch in.

My point was that since this car is a typical nr #2 "workhorse" car for most, the general interest on modifying these cars is low. Hence the demand for tuning parts is low.
Low demand = no production as there is no money to be made.

While I will admit that the i3s is a much more fun car to drive than I first thought, I still like it stock.
Putting on cool wheels and bigger tires will hurt the range, there is little that can be done in the engine performance area, that kind of leaves esthetic mods.

My i3s is red with black wheels, so it certainly stand out compared to all the white, silver, black and dark blue ones.
I actually got the "s" model for the sole purpose of looking better than the standard model.
But other than getting a vinyl wrap, there is not much you can really do to these cars to change them.

My comment was not meant to be negative, there are 26.000 i3's in my country, I typically see 20++ every time I go for a drive, not a single one has been modified, in the national for sale listings, I may have come across 2-3 that has had some work done, hence it's an observation that these cars don't get "tuned"
Yea but these are not bigger wheels they are just of different design.. tuning and modding can in many cases improve over factory.

Many people think that tuning and modding the car from original deteriorates the experience, in some cases it's true but if done well it doesn't have to be the case.

With it being so cheap on the used market it's a perfect electric car for beginners and with the freed up money they can personalize it how they see fit.

Wheels will change your look after your tired of the same look you've had for 8 years of the same.

As working in design at an OEM we are always making sacrifices somewhere for cost reasons.

The aftermarket area can in fact make better feeling springs or shocks or whatever they see fit.
Trust me I know what you mean as you can take a great car and destroy it as well it's very easy to do.

Some don't have multiple cars and only have one car and they want to be different than the other joe.

I guess it's regional but let people have options dang it !

The moment people get on this site and dig at a vendor trying to give the community something to have fun with their car makes no sense to me. (I know you didn't but I see it else where)

Yes you bought the car for daily commutes well not everybody is thinking the same.

As a designer myself every car I buy gets modified over the original, doesn't matter what it is. I make it my own. And enjoy the fact it's different than everyone else's.

The i3 is fun to drive quickly as it's light and with the correct setup could be a hoot more so than it is already.

As you stated you didn't think much of it till you drove it so you only know what you know.

Giving people options to have fun and personalize their cars is a great thing even if you don't necessarily agree with it or think that it makes sense on this car just love and let live

When your out on the road how many modified cars do you see? Not many it's always far and few in between but their out their and part of a 4 billion dollar a year business that many want to take part in. With the i3 numbers continuing to rise year after year the numbers are starting to justify these companies to make rims.

They can't make wider or bigger rims as we are stuck with tires made specifically for the i3. All these will do is offer weight savings witch will improve performance and unsprung weight. and make your ride cooler! And maybe help the range !

Their not my taste and will wait for other options but I'm happy to see the number of wheel options grow 1 more.

I'm on the camp of let companies do what they want and maybe they are seeing a demand or testing the waters as you won't know until it's made if it sells or not. But let the people vote with their wallets. Having more options available is fun for many. Not for everybody but for us few we really like this stuff to be available to us.

Again this is not directed at you, I just get a lot of people question why i modify cars and being a car guy I love to tinker so just venting I guess.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Those floating spokes are dope. Love love that ... I kind of want these wheels for my car now. But ugh, my lease is up at the end of the year. Would be kind of a waste buying wheels for 6 months.

How's the weight compare the stock? Weight is a huge issue for the i3 range.
I couldn't get hold of forgings to make them 1 piece and would have saved weight. Had to make these as a 1 off to see what they looked like in 2 piece which added 1kg over each stock i3s wheel. For us this doesn't matter much as the range is not a consideration.

If we go to production with the wheel they will be flow formed and should be lighter than the stock wheels and will look more like the wheel in the render.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yea but these are not bigger wheels they are just of different design.. tuning and modding can in many cases improve over factory.

Many people think that tuning and modding the car from original deteriorates the experience, in some cases it's true but if done well it doesn't have to be the case.

With it being so cheap on the used market it's a perfect electric car for beginners and with the freed up money they can personalize it how they see fit.

Wheels will change your look after your tired of the same look you've had for 8 years of the same.

As working in design at an OEM we are always making sacrifices somewhere for cost reasons.

The aftermarket area can in fact make better feeling springs or shocks or whatever they see fit.
Trust me I know what you mean as you can take a great car and destroy it as well it's very easy to do.

Some don't have multiple cars and only have one car and they want to be different than the other joe.

The moment people get on this site and dig at a vendor trying to give the community something to have fun with their car makes no sense to me. (I know you didn't but I see it else where)

Yes you bought the car for daily commutes well not everybody is thinking the same.

As a designer myself every car I buy gets modified over the original, doesn't matter what it is. I make it my own. And enjoy the fact it's different than everyone else's.

The i3 is fun to drive quickly as it's light and with the correct setup could be a hoot more so than it is already.

As you stated you didn't think much of it till you drove it so you only know what you know.

Giving people options to have fun and personalize their cars is a great thing even if you don't necessarily agree with it or think that it makes sense on this car just love and let live

When your out on the road how many modified cars do you see? Not many it's always far and few in between but their out their and part of a 4 billion dollar a year business that many want to take part in. With the i3 numbers continuing to rise year after year the numbers are starting to justify these companies to make rims.

They can't make wider or bigger rims as we are stuck with tires made specifically for the i3. All these will do is offer weight savings witch will improve performance and unsprung weight. and make your ride cooler! And maybe help the range !

Their not my taste and will wait for other options but I'm happy to see the number of wheel options grow 1 more.

I'm on the camp of let companies do what they want and maybe they are seeing a demand or testing the waters as you won't know until it's made if it sells or not. But let the people vote with their wallets. Having more options available is fun for many. Not for everybody but for us few we really like this stuff to be available to us.

Again this is not directed at you, I just get a lot of people question why i modify cars and being a car guy I love to tinker so just venting I guess.
Being in this industry I modify every thing we own. I see potential in the i3s market but if doesn't work out at my wife has a cool car to do her errands in
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:

No offense taken.

I used to be all into modding, but I'm in my mid-40's now and sadly I see myself changing.
I've owned the 8-series for 15 years, and I now find myself removing mod's I did 10-15 years ago when I was around 30.
If you asked me between 1995 and 2010, it was all blacked out, body kits, tinted windows, tinted lights, slammed to the ground, poly bushings, sway-bars, exhaust systems, big wheels and fat tires, not to mention a big sound system.
I have poured obscene amounts of money into cars over the years.

But after 40 things changed, comfort trumps performance, I'm tired of not getting over speed bumps, having a ride that would require a kidney belt just because I wanted that track performance and installed coil-overs and huge wheels, not being able to see out the windows when parking at night because I had the darkest possible tint on my windows.

I guess I'm growing up

I typically still do make subtile changes to my vehicles; wheels, some vinyl, and small tasteful changes.
My Ducati has seen around $10.000 in mods, the M5 is so far untouched apart from new exhaust tips.
I got the "best tricked out" version of the i3s from BMW, and for some reason I really don't see a need to make any more changes to that car.

Will be interesting to see what the tuning market comes up with, in the last 8 years it's not much.

I will be honest, back in 2013 I hated it, wouldn't be caught dead in one
But when buying my first EV as a, well no.#3 car, basically to save the M5 and 850 from pointless mileage and the salted winter roads, the i3 came out on top based on my credentials.
Sure, I could have gone for a Porsche Taycan, but I have an M5 I don't need another performance car.

As you said, its very fun to drive, its 4m long, 184hp and weighs 1200kg, what else is that, well the classic e30 M3 was launched with 194hp, weighed 1200kg and was 4,3m long. No real comparison, but those numbers do indicate that the i3s should be a fun car.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No offense taken.

I used to be all into modding, but I'm in my mid-40's now and sadly I see myself changing.
I've owned the 8-series for 15 years, and I now find myself removing mod's I did 10-15 years ago when I was around 30.
If you asked me between 1995 and 2010, it was all blacked out, body kits, tinted windows, tinted lights, slammed to the ground, poly bushings, sway-bars, exhaust systems, big wheels and fat tires, not to mention a big sound system.
I have poured obscene amounts of money into cars over the years.

But after 40 things changed, comfort trumps performance, I'm tired of not getting over speed bumps, having a ride that would require a kidney belt just because I wanted that track performance and installed coil-overs and huge wheels, not being able to see out the windows when parking at night because I had the darkest possible tint on my windows.

I guess I'm growing up

I typically still do make subtile changes to my vehicles; wheels, some vinyl, and small tasteful changes.
My Ducati has seen around $10.000 in mods, the M5 is so far untouched apart from new exhaust tips.
I got the "best tricked out" version of the i3s from BMW, and for some reason I really don't see a need to make any more changes to that car.

Will be interesting to see what the tuning market comes up with, in the last 8 years it's not much.

I will be honest, back in 2013 I hated it, wouldn't be caught dead in one
But when buying my first EV as a, well no.#3 car, basically to save the M5 and 850 from pointless mileage and the salted winter roads, the i3 came out on top based on my credentials.
Sure, I could have gone for a Porsche Taycan, but I have an M5 I don't need another performance car.

As you said, its very fun to drive, its 4m long, 184hp and weighs 1200kg, what else is that, well the classic e30 M3 was launched with 194hp, weighed 1200kg and was 4,3m long. No real comparison, but those numbers do indicate that the i3s should be a fun car.
[QUOTE=Noggie;27456518]
Quote:

Yes well said!

I'm 42 myself ! Only
According to my wife I never grew up!

When I originally sold my first i3 I came back with a TTRS and my wife went bonkers as she's like your a father what buisness do you have getting a car like that! I'm like well it has 4 seats

Hey got to like what you drive!!! Lol

Anyway yea I do prefer OEM + sort of approach as a designer I'm always trying to make it just that bit more special.

Certain cosmetic upgrades that don't hinder overall handling is great and got
To play with that stance!!! Lol.

You having a i3S already makes the car much more mod proof as you already have a car out of the box that needs very little.

Mine being a 2014 needs some help. Lol....

So new rims, new struts and springs with some new body works and some AC snitzer parts will make it perfect for me.

Just enough !

Anyway looking forward to what the market will bring if anything in the coming years but it will also depend on marketing the products well.

Theirs not a lot of traffic on this forum for the i3 so it's probably better to list the rims elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:11 AM   #11
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

We're happy the ride and performance of the springs so we are putting them into production. They should be available in around 4 weeks. Will post up details when they are ready.
Appreciate 1
Noggie285.00
      05-26-2022, 05:11 AM   #12
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Springs are now available.

As developed and fitted to the Evolve BMW i3s.

These springs provide a subtle drop whilst providing a complaint ride.

Lowering 25mm Front and Rear on i3 and i3 Range Extender

Lowering 15mm on i3s.

https://www.evolveautomotive.com/evo...ange-extender/

US price is $215 shipped for forum members. Send us an email on sales@evolveautomotive.com to order.
Appreciate 2
Noggie285.00
JDAURIA720.50