RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

15%
I got lucky and hit on the 15%. Price lowered to $40 / mo. for another year, but she couldn't make it permanent. So we'll see what happens in a year but I'll take what I can get. $40 for gig speed, including router and unlimited cap (not that the cap matters since its a vacation spot).
      08-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #46
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

$40 for gig speed and unlimited data is a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #47
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
$40 for gig speed and unlimited data is a great deal.
Yep, that why I was unhappy about losing it. Here in FL with Comcast, I have the same thing but it is $131. Huge difference. No AT&T fiber in my neighborhood here.
      08-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #48
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yep, that why I was unhappy about losing it. Here in FL with Comcast, I have the same thing but it is $131. Huge difference. No AT&T fiber in my neighborhood here.
The deal in my neighborhood is advertised as $70/mo. including the equipment rental fee (gateway?) but includes HBO Max. I don't like the idea of having to rent their equipment though. Still a lot cheaper than Xfinity though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #49
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

I pay $79/mo for gigabit fiber, no cap
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The deal in my neighborhood is advertised as $70/mo. including the equipment rental fee (gateway?) but includes HBO Max. I don't like the idea of having to rent their equipment though. Still a lot cheaper than Xfinity though.
I was using my own gateway and paying $70 then $90 then $100, but I had devices keep dropping off so I switched to their gateway, which seems to solve the problem and also removed data cap. Using their gateway doesn't bother me although I'd prefer to avoid the cost of it.
      08-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #51
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I was using my own gateway and paying $70 then $90 then $100, but I had devices keep dropping off so I switched to their gateway, which seems to solve the problem and also removed data cap. Using their gateway doesn't bother me although I'd prefer to avoid the cost of it.
Oh I didn't think one had a choice but to use their gear. At least that's what I was told. Even with the 10 bucks being paid for that gateway, still a lot cheaper I suppose. I like there's no data cap. I would just have to use my own router in lieu of the one provided with their hardware.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #52
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Subscribed...!! - Probably cutting the Cord this fall... I'm sorry, but I can't justify $250 a month for Comcast...

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #53
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I didn't think one had a choice but to use their gear. At least that's what I was told. Even with the 10 bucks being paid for that gateway, still a lot cheaper I suppose. I like there's no data cap. I would just have to use my own router in lieu of the one provided with their hardware.
They have a website with approved third-party equipment. Can start here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...d-cable-modems

I was using this but like I said, it was giving me trouble:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9J3XW2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      08-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #54
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
They have a website with approved third-party equipment. Can start here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...d-cable-modems

I was using this but like I said, it was giving me trouble:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9J3XW2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Oh my bad, I may have misunderstood. I thought we were discussing
AT&T fiber service. As for Xfinity, I'm using all my own gear which is the way it ought to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #55
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh my bad, I may have misunderstood. I thought we were discussing
AT&T fiber service. As for Xfinity, I'm using all my own gear which is the way it ought to be.
I don’t think I have a choice for AT&T but @ $40/month and limited time we spend there, I didn’t even look into it.
      08-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #56
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think I have a choice for AT&T but @ $40/month and limited time we spend there, I didn’t even look into it.
Got it. Yeah I've been considering switching to AT&T's fiber since it's available and considerably cheaper. Just didn't like the idea of being forced to use their hardware.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #57
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Kind of related but who here has Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV? If so, I'm curious what the quality is of broadcast channels you watch when streaming, particularly the so-called regular channels, including the local ones. Is it HD? If I cut the cord with Comcast I'm considering what my live TV options are and what the quality level is. I just assumed it would be HD and not standard def (SD) but realized I never confirmed that with anyone.

I'm really starting to lean towards pulling the trigger on AT&T fiber considering how cheap it is for their gigabit service level compared to Xfinity. I just need to consider how much I'll end up spending on TV service from an alternative provider. I don't think I'm interested in AT&T's DirecTV stream service because it's not cheap and I'm worried I'll still be stuck paying for ridiculous fees just like Xfinity which would take away some of the advantages of cutting the cord.

If anyone has insight, please share.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #58
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Locast.org is covering Atlanta. Gets you HD streams of every on-air channel for $0.00, or you can make a modest donation to help pay the costs of running the service to their non-profit organization. Between that and the Pluto TV app (also free), I don't miss shutting off my TV service one bit.....
      09-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #59
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kind of related but who here has Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV? If so, I'm curious what the quality is of broadcast channels you watch when streaming, particularly the so-called regular channels, including the local ones. Is it HD? If I cut the cord with Comcast I'm considering what my live TV options are and what the quality level is. I just assumed it would be HD and not standard def (SD) but realized I never confirmed that with anyone.

I'm really starting to lean towards pulling the trigger on AT&T fiber considering how cheap it is for their gigabit service level compared to Xfinity. I just need to consider how much I'll end up spending on TV service from an alternative provider. I don't think I'm interested in AT&T's DirecTV stream service because it's not cheap and I'm worried I'll still be stuck paying for ridiculous fees just like Xfinity which would take away some of the advantages of cutting the cord.

If anyone has insight, please share.
We have YouTube TV and it is HD. Additionally, whether it is our TV, AppleTV or A/V receiver, something it doing a good job upscaling to 4K. Native 4K on something like Netflix looks better, but it is only slightly at this point. I’m sure someone will chime in to talk about how streaming is compressed, etc. but there was no noticeable drop off to us when we switched from DirecTV.

YouTube TV just launched 4K but it is expensive with virtually no content. I tried the 4K add-on and cancelled it. My suggestion is to get a free trial for basic service on both for a month before cancelling what you have. The negative to me is the interface vs DirecTV (recordings library, channel guide etc.) so that will require getting used to. The reason I went with YouTube TV over Hulu is flexibility to use in a second home at no extra charge. Hulu won’t let you stream directly to a TV in another market via wifi. Only wireless to something like a phone or iPad, unless they changed it.
TiMSport12786.50
      09-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #60
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
We have YouTube TV and it is HD. Additionally, whether it is our TV, AppleTV or A/V receiver, something it doing a good job upscaling to 4K. Native 4K on something like Netflix looks better, but it is only slightly at this point. I’m sure someone will chime in to talk about how streaming is compressed, etc. but there was no noticeable drop off to us when we switched from DirecTV.

YouTube TV just launched 4K but it is expensive with virtually no content. I tried the 4K add-on and cancelled it. My suggestion is to get a free trial for basic service on both for a month before cancelling what you have. The negative to me is the interface vs DirecTV (recordings library, channel guide etc.) so that will require getting used to. The reason I went with YouTube TV over Hulu is flexibility to use in a second home at no extra charge. Hulu won’t let you stream directly to a TV in another market via wifi. Only wireless to something like a phone or iPad, unless they changed it.
Thanks Rick, good information. I didn't know that about YouTube TV in being able to stream more than one location at a time. I just read they allow up to 3 streams at a time on any device from anywhere.

I already subscribe to Hulu and it would certainly be easy to simply add Live TV to the account but we'll see. Since I only have one home it may not be an issue like it is for you. Pricing seems comparable.

I wonder if anyone here subscribes to DirecTV Stream via AT&T. I can't help but wonder if they do charge for those oddball things like "regional TV fee" which is now costing me about 30 bucks with my Xfinity account which is absurd. That service (DirecTV Stream) itself is about the same cost as either Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV. If I opt for the AT&T service it may be a smoother setup but the "fees" possibly incurred with that service (if they exist) would be a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #61
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Locast.org is covering Atlanta. Gets you HD streams of every on-air channel for $0.00, or you can make a modest donation to help pay the costs of running the service to their non-profit organization. Between that and the Pluto TV app (also free), I don't miss shutting off my TV service one bit.....
Cool. I didn't know about Locast. Interesting.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #62
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Cool. I didn't know about Locast. Interesting.
They just announced today that they lost a court challenge to their non-profit business model. As a result, they will no longer be interrupting non-donors asking for a donation effective immediately.

Their suggested donation was $5.00/month, and it is a tax writeoff (if you're into that incentive) because they are a registered non-profit. I'm leaving my current automatic monthly donations enabled, since the service is worth $5.00/month to me just for watching occasional sports broadcasts and local news.....
      09-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #63
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Rick, good information. I didn't know that about YouTube TV in being able to stream more than one location at a time. I just read they allow up to 3 streams at a time on any device from anywhere.

I already subscribe to Hulu and it would certainly be easy to simply add Live TV to the account but we'll see. Since I only have one home it may not be an issue like it is for you. Pricing seems comparable.

I wonder if anyone here subscribes to DirecTV Stream via AT&T. I can't help but wonder if they do charge for those oddball things like "regional TV fee" which is now costing me about 30 bucks with my Xfinity account which is absurd. That service (DirecTV Stream) itself is about the same cost as either Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV. If I opt for the AT&T service it may be a smoother setup but the "fees" possibly incurred with that service (if they exist) would be a deal breaker for me.
We also have Hulu (just regular no ads Hulu not with live TV), Netflix and Amazon Prime. I haven’t seen the interface for Hulu Live TV but expect it is something closer to YouTube TV than cable or satellite. Can always try out both. If you don’t need the mobility YouTube TV provides, I’d go with the interface you like better. And remember always easy to switch to the other later if you wish.
      09-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #64
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I'll have to go check. I have no clue but I've got multiple. Business and home.

For home, it's supposed to be 300mbps. During peak though it cuts a bit. It's 5:30pm so makes sense, people are home now from work.

It's much higher than this not at dinner time, lol. But I can't do slow internet. It drives me up the wall. Also dislike waiting too long. Blu-ray movies get downloaded in seconds. Songs are instant. You click it and it's downloaded.

It's Spectrum that much I do know. No fiber options by the water. No Xfinity. No google. Spectrum has the highest speeds for this zip code.

Regardless, they all play the same game so you play the same game back. Call them and tell them you want to cancel. They'll transfer you to the retention department - aka Captain Save-A-Hoe department. The hoe in this case is the internet provider lol. They will practically offer you every discount they can think of to get you to stay - it's their job to have you stay. Longer you decline their offers, the greater the rewards. Play their game right back when they jack up your prices. They do it on purpose because it's worth it to them. The few that take the time to call? They'll heavily discount. The majority won't notice or can't be bothered to call. The difference more than makes up for the freebies. Gym memberships. They know majority do not cancel even if they stop going. Very easily they could set something up to determine if you haven't been in awhile. Nah, they'll let that bill keep autocollecting until 2039 if they can.

But this is my wifi speed off my cell phone right now, lol. It might be overkill but it's pleasant to have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #65
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

I prefer something closer to this.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=44
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      09-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #66
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
I would too but yeah, 300mbps is as high as I can get around here. They can't run fiber under the ground because - sand and ocean.

Yeah it'll just keep going higher and higher the later it gets LOL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0