BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I just can't go out in public anymore ...

So I messed up and bought the wrong wheel bearings for my Golf. I've done them before, 10+ years ago at least. Seems my memory has failed me and the parts and process I remember, it not at all how it's done.
I'm not sure what car I'm remembering now.
So I have to drive 45 min to find the correct part from Autozone (they only have 1 on hand).
As long as I'm in town I may as well check another parts store (Oreilly's) and see if they have the second one that I want. Lady at counter, I tell her the vehicle and part I'm after. She starts typing. I know where this is going. I've done parts long enough I have a good handle on how the interfaces work. She responds with them not having one on hand. I'm pretty confident they actually do. But I'm not in any mood to teach today. I thank her and leave.

Two block away is my favorite pizza right now. But EVERY time I go there it's a struggle. The place is so mismanaged. I decide to risk it. I'm on a bad day and may as well see how deep I can dig.
I go in and let the guy finish with the customer ahead of me. He asks if I'm picking up and order and I respond no, placing one. He asks for my phone number. I just say nevermind, turn around and walk out.

Well shit lets go for 3.
There is another of the previous parts store in town a few miles away. May as well check that one. The guy looks up the part, says he has one and goes to get it. He sets it on the counter and I ask, so what do you want for it. $69.99 he says. I reply with how about $61.99 as I'm pulling the receipt out from the other bearing I just bought. 'Why would I do that' he says.
Nevermind. And I walk out.

I people watch probably more than I should. I'm not seeing any hope from my interactions or observations. We're doomed. Not the generations after us. The current generations.
Appreciate 3
      08-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Should have gone through with the pizza order.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 5
shiftdnb376.50
hubbahubba8789.50
jmg18658.50
unluky7519.00
      08-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Why would you walk out on the pizza over them asking for your number? You spent a good amount of time trying to find that part and $8 difference was too much? Now you're down a part and probably wasting more than $8 worth of your time waiting to get it.
Appreciate 8
TiMSport12792.50
shimmy232341.00
KennyFSU1104.00
King Rudi13154.00
Noneya251.50
Hawkeye2069.50
DETRoadster11456.00
jmack548.50
      08-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

So a bit more about why I knew things would go downhill once the parts lady started typing.

With some systems, when the counterman does not know which subsection to look under they can search by part name. The problem is if the part is not under that name or is under multiple names you may not get the correct result. I'm not sure what she typed in. If it was hub, she would not have got a result for the rear I was after. I don't believe it would even return a result for rear, front only. It's a helpful but stupid system. Many are actually this way where a typed search limits results too much. If you don't actually know what the part is odds are you'll find something wrong or not at all and loose a sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Should have said, “No thanks” when asked for your phone number, then went ahead and placed your order.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

If you go in with the mindset some shits gonna go wrong, you'll find anything to prove yourself correct. Some of these things are kind of out of anyone's control. The pricing at the auto parts store being $8.00 different - what do you want an hourly employee to do? Eat the $8.00 difference for you and the negative Nancy attitude? Why? You're so fixated on what YOU'RE not getting that you have failed to realize these hourly employees don't deserve to deal with your attitude because you didn't want to have to give your phone number? You want the auto parts store to match some price you paid a bit cheaper elsewhere? I'm having difficulty finding sympathy or empathy.

The employees you subjected to your attitude will be thankful if you don't venture outside anymore. Do better. You have humans clinging to cargo planes to get out of their country and you're saying you don't want to go back out in public because someone asked for your telephone number before placing an order and some employee didn't want to give in to your cost savings attempt? Instead of going out of your house and wondering what is going to go wrong for you today, why not try going outside and asking yourself - what can I do to make a difference today." And if you don't want to, as that's your right, then maybe you should heed your advice and stay the fuck home.
Appreciate 23
TiMSport12792.50
Joekerr7929.00
shiftdnb376.50
Buug95917178.50
Littlebear3509.50
shimmy232341.00
Run Silent15127.00
antgenn319.00
rwheels7066.50
King Rudi13154.00
ky0u1067.00
Noneya251.50
cremem3131.00
Hawkeye2069.50
DETRoadster11456.00
jmack548.50
MKSixer34173.50
      08-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I don't understand the issue with giving your phone number out to make an order. They simply store it to pull up your info or maybe they have a rewards program. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Sometimes $8 is worth the convenience of having a good day. Also burritos are a good substitute for pizza and they don't take as long to make.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
kyriian883.50
MKSixer34173.50
Doctor_X1158.00
      08-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Also burritos are a good substitute for pizza and they don't take as long to make.
Lol, that's certainly a unique perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #11
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes $8 is worth the convenience of having a good day. Also burritos are a good substitute for pizza and they don't take as long to make.
100%. I'll pay more for convenience or saving of time. Don't matter how much money you have - time is my most precious commodity.

I'm gonna disagree with you in the burrito thing though. Maybe if you said calzone

Besides, they may still ask for your number now before placing burrito order. I get why they ask for numbers lately truthfully. Many spots are pick up / delivery only or mostly and a massive influx of orders being placed.
Appreciate 4
M_Six16819.00
DETRoadster11456.00
MKSixer34173.50
      08-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
So I messed up and bought the wrong wheel bearings for my Golf. I've done them before, 10+ years ago at least. Seems my memory has failed me and the parts and process I remember, it not at all how it's done.
I'm not sure what car I'm remembering now.
So I have to drive 45 min to find the correct part from Autozone (they only have 1 on hand).
As long as I'm in town I may as well check another parts store (Oreilly's) and see if they have the second one that I want. Lady at counter, I tell her the vehicle and part I'm after. She starts typing. I know where this is going. I've done parts long enough I have a good handle on how the interfaces work. She responds with them not having one on hand. I'm pretty confident they actually do. But I'm not in any mood to teach today. I thank her and leave.

Two block away is my favorite pizza right now. But EVERY time I go there it's a struggle. The place is so mismanaged. I decide to risk it. I'm on a bad day and may as well see how deep I can dig.
I go in and let the guy finish with the customer ahead of me. He asks if I'm picking up and order and I respond no, placing one. He asks for my phone number. I just say nevermind, turn around and walk out.

Well shit lets go for 3.
There is another of the previous parts store in town a few miles away. May as well check that one. The guy looks up the part, says he has one and goes to get it. He sets it on the counter and I ask, so what do you want for it. $69.99 he says. I reply with how about $61.99 as I'm pulling the receipt out from the other bearing I just bought. 'Why would I do that' he says.
Nevermind. And I walk out.

I people watch probably more than I should. I'm not seeing any hope from my interactions or observations. We're doomed. Not the generations after us. The current generations.

You should get an award named after the town in which you live.

Kidding aside, take a breath and relax. It will be okay.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      08-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Per https://www.oreillyauto.com/coupons-promotions-faq

"Low Price Guarantee
O'Reilly Auto Parts strives to provide the lowest possible price to our customers; however, we are currently unable to price match online competitors. Our retail locations do have a low price guarantee and will match the price of most local competitors."

It's about knowing how to do a job correctly.
And it was the tone of his response. I know I can't convey that over the internet.

Per the pizza.
I look to the sinister side of data storage, partly because it was a career path I wanted to pursue. So this is the way I'm wired. I look at it as a database with impersonal data from a few sources that if combined can really do some damage. Say someone gets ahold of the phone number database. Odds are there's a name associated with it. Lets say they also get into the tax records, which are going to have some where all the receipts/transactions. Hop skip and there is now more data, maybe enough to get card numbers or enough to sell to some ad agency buying that data.
All data has value and that value never gets paid to the consumer. I try to limit how much of myself I leave out there for some scraper to gather and sell. And I think further down the road than the immediate. Ethics and data are not congruent.
Appreciate 4
omasou2086.50
vreihen1615143.50
      08-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #14
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
100%. I'll pay more for convenience or saving of time. Don't matter how much money you have - time is my most precious commodity.

I'm gonna disagree with you in the burrito thing though. Maybe if you said calzone

Besides, they may still ask for your number now before placing burrito order. I get why they ask for numbers lately truthfully. Many spots are pick up / delivery only or mostly and a massive influx of orders being placed.
I love Mexican so burritos are a substitute for anything lol! I had a calzone in Italy for the first time when I was a teenager and it has ruined calzones for me because I have yet to find one as good as that one.

As for the number I just assumed it was because they would call in 20-30 min when the pizza was done.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:31 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
This.

I find that saving several minutes outweighs minor differences in cost. I don't do lines and I generally hate waiting for anything. When Chipotle opened their first store in Champaign (U of I), they offered a free burrito. I know folks who waited for 2 freakin' hours in line for a free burrito. Total lunacy, IMO. No food is ever worth two hours of my time waiting in a long line.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00
MKSixer34173.50
      08-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #16
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
If you go in with the mindset some shits gonna go wrong, you'll find anything to prove yourself correct. Some of these things are kind of out of anyone's control. The pricing at the auto parts store being $8.00 different - what do you want an hourly employee to do? Eat the $8.00 difference for you and the negative Nancy attitude? Why? You're so fixated on what YOU'RE not getting that you have failed to realize these hourly employees don't deserve to deal with your attitude because you didn't want to have to give your phone number? You want the auto parts store to match some price you paid a bit cheaper elsewhere? I'm having difficulty finding sympathy or empathy.

The employees you subjected to your attitude will be thankful if you don't venture outside anymore. Do better. You have humans clinging to cargo planes to get out of their country and you're saying you don't want to go back out in public because someone asked for your telephone number before placing an order and some employee didn't want to give in to your cost savings attempt? Instead of going out of your house and wondering what is going to go wrong for you today, why not try going outside and asking yourself - what can I do to make a difference today." And if you don't want to, as that's your right, then maybe you should heed your advice and stay the fuck home.
Holy crap - a mature post by Shoei, and one that I can get behind fully! What has the world come to when these two points converge?

And I've heard it said that maturity comes with age. I'd like to ask ASBSECU E93 for his respected opinion as to how old someone (shoei in particular) would have to be, to create such a mature post?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #17
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
This.

I find that saving several minutes outweighs minor differences in cost. I don't do lines and I generally hate waiting for anything. When Chipotle opened their first store in Champaign (U of I), they offered a free burrito. I know folks who waited for 2 freakin' hours in line for a free burrito. Total lunacy, IMO. No food is ever worth two hours of my time waiting in a long line.
You and I will get along then, lol. I don't do lines. Ever. I'll hire someone off of Task Rabbit or similar, pay then $40 and they'll go stand in line for me. iPhones for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #18
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

Holy crap - a mature post by Shoei, and one that I can get behind fully! What has the world come to when these two points converge?

And I've heard it said that maturity comes with age. I'd like to ask ASBSECU E93 for his respected opinion as to how old someone (shoei in particular) would have to be, to create such a mature post?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #19
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Per https://www.oreillyauto.com/coupons-promotions-faq

"Low Price Guarantee
O'Reilly Auto Parts strives to provide the lowest possible price to our customers; however, we are currently unable to price match online competitors. Our retail locations do have a low price guarantee and will match the price of most local competitors."

It's about knowing how to do a job correctly.
And it was the tone of his response. I know I can't convey that over the internet.

Per the pizza.
I look to the sinister side of data storage, partly because it was a career path I wanted to pursue. So this is the way I'm wired. I look at it as a database with impersonal data from a few sources that if combined can really do some damage. Say someone gets ahold of the phone number database. Odds are there's a name associated with it. Lets say they also get into the tax records, which are going to have some where all the receipts/transactions. Hop skip and there is now more data, maybe enough to get card numbers or enough to sell to some ad agency buying that data.
All data has value and that value never gets paid to the consumer. I try to limit how much of myself I leave out there for some scraper to gather and sell. And I think further down the road than the immediate. Ethics and data are not congruent.
You're still sitting here spending an awful amount of time justifying your Karen-isms today.

You took the time to copy and paste O'Reilly's Autoparts policies. That's great but you went to a THIRD parts store NOT called O'Reilly's so what does that have to do with anything? Absolutely dick all. Just you trying to find excuses to justify your shitty behavior.

All this time you just wasted - all you had to do was spend 30 seconds with the first employee and could've spared yourself these novels you're writing.
Appreciate 3
      08-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #20
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This.

Lol that's ridiculous. If I waited 2 hours I'd be wanting a hell of a lot more than one burrito. It seems time isn't precious for many people. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16819.00
      08-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #21
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're still sitting here spending an awful amount of time justifying your Karen-isms today.

You took the time to copy and paste O'Reilly's Autoparts policies. That's great but you went to a THIRD parts store NOT called O'Reilly's so what does that have to do with anything? Absolutely dick all. Just you trying to find excuses to justify your shitty behavior.

All this time you just wasted - all you had to do was spend 30 seconds with the first employee and could've spared yourself these novels you're writing.
3rd store was the other oreillys in town. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I am in no way looking for sympathy. But I also didn't realize how much of a minority I was. It's not like I raised a fit, told anyone how to do their job (which I have done both for a handful of years in the past, 6 years in parts and 2 in pizza). I just left rather than cause conflict. For the options I was presenting myself I thought that was the better path.

Also the car the parts are for has 290,000 miles on it and I got for free. It's not something I want to sink any money into. But the bearings are getting quite loud now and it's time. I only needed 1 bearing because I already had 1 off and destroyed. The other I can wait for internet china parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #22
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I would have fucked with the pizza guy...he ain't making it. If he asked for my number I would have said, "sorry dude you ain't my type. Can I order a pizza though...I'm kinda hungry" and kept it movin! LOL
Appreciate 3