shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
You're still sitting here spending an awful amount of time justifying your Karen-isms today.

You took the time to copy and paste O'Reilly's Autoparts policies. That's great but you went to a THIRD parts store NOT called O'Reilly's so what does that have to do with anything? Absolutely dick all. Just you trying to find excuses to justify your shitty behavior.

All this time you just wasted - all you had to do was spend 30 seconds with the first employee and could've spared yourself these novels you're writing.
3rd store was the other oreillys in town. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I am in no way looking for sympathy. But I also didn't realize how much of a minority I was. It's not like I raised a fit, told anyone how to do their job (which I have done both for a handful of years in the past, 6 years in parts and 2 in pizza). I just left rather than cause conflict. For the options I was presenting myself I thought that was the better path.

Also the car the parts are for has 290,000 miles on it and I got for free. It's not something I want to sink any money into. But the bearings are getting quite loud now and it's time. I only needed 1 bearing because I already had 1 off and destroyed. The other I can wait for internet china parts.
Sometimes just turning around and walking away leaves a shitty taste in ones mouth. But imagine if you took 30 seconds to explain to the first girl why she might not find it. Not only would it solve YOUR problems, she'll know for future reference. Point is, you would've skipped autoparts shop 2 and 3. Time spent would've made it worth while instead of spending time, energy and whatnot going to two other places.

You're obviously in a different place than they are. Not many people wake up one day and say - "Gee, I really want to go work at auto parts store." They're still humans who might not understand as well as you do on the minuscule details on item searching for car parts. You don't have to be Mickey Mouse whenever you venture out of the house and be the spreader of positive vibes but at least leave the negative vibes inside the car before walking into any business. This is what they deal with all day long. For less than $15 an hour.

We can all find things to gripe about every day. Life's better when these little nuances don't ruin ones day IMO. Time is precious, life too short. At the end of the day, we all living on borrowed time as we all sit on a giant fucking pebble, hurtling through space. Ain't nobody that special.

Where you do get props though is having the ability to say - "hmm, maybe I need to think some things through. I didn't realize my thought process wasn't the norm so maybe I might be in the wrong." - Cannot begin to describe how huge that is. Most double triple quadruple down. It's a positive trait to have.
Appreciate 8
iminhell13914.50
M5Rick60000.00
minn1914021.00
jmack548.50
      08-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #24
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:
You don't have to be Mickey Mouse whenever you venture out of the house and be the spreader of positive vibes but at least leave the negative vibes inside the car before walking into any business. This is what they deal with all day long. For less than $15 an hour.

We can all find things to gripe about every day. Life's better when these little nuances don't ruin ones day IMO. Time is precious, life too short. At the end of the day, we all living on borrowed time as we all sit on a giant fucking pebble, hurtling through space. Ain't nobody that special.
Interestingly enough, the more you do go out and try to spread positive vibes, the better you feel about your own life in general. In most cases, things in life are mild nuances at best, compared to others in the world.

Each event listed is confusing. Walking out when asked for a phone number? What was the expectation, a hot pizza made right then and there? Was one supposed to already be cooked and ready? And walking out of the other parts store over $8? Hell that was probably burnt in petrol by that point! And if the place is 45 minutes away, why not call ahead of time to check on availability?

Not ragging on OP, but I feel all their issues could have been absolved with a phone call before leaving the house. Fresh hot pizza included.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #25
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
Interestingly enough, the more you do go out and try to spread positive vibes, the better you feel about your own life in general. In most cases, things in life are mild nuances at best, compared to others in the world....
Yes, & don't take yourself so seriously!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=9282
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      08-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #26
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Per https://www.oreillyauto.com/coupons-promotions-faq

"Low Price Guarantee
O'Reilly Auto Parts strives to provide the lowest possible price to our customers; however, we are currently unable to price match online competitors. Our retail locations do have a low price guarantee and will match the price of most local competitors."

It's about knowing how to do a job correctly.
And it was the tone of his response. I know I can't convey that over the internet.

Per the pizza.
I look to the sinister side of data storage, partly because it was a career path I wanted to pursue. So this is the way I'm wired. I look at it as a database with impersonal data from a few sources that if combined can really do some damage. Say someone gets ahold of the phone number database. Odds are there's a name associated with it. Lets say they also get into the tax records, which are going to have some where all the receipts/transactions. Hop skip and there is now more data, maybe enough to get card numbers or enough to sell to some ad agency buying that data.
All data has value and that value never gets paid to the consumer. I try to limit how much of myself I leave out there for some scraper to gather and sell. And I think further down the road than the immediate. Ethics and data are not congruent.
I understand that it's hard to convey the "feeling" of an interaction over the internet and it seems that most respondents have such busy lives that they are willing to encourage substandard customer service and/or buying their way through the day.

In these examples, the folks may have been working a menial job but that's their choice and no matter the job or how crappy the typical customer or their day, it is the employee job do their absolute best and provide superior customer service, not just fill a space behind the counter. And while I'm at it stop asking for tips!

If a company has a price match policy they should honor it. Yes, time is very very valuable but more importantly so is principle and I will spend much more time and not cave in or spend money b/c someone else isn't doing their job or aware of their companies policies.

As for PI/PPI, I get that in this particular case the pizza shop is only asking for a phone number to simplify their order processes or when on the phone doing it in an attempt to stop kids from placing fake orders. That said, by providing PI you are implicitly opting into data collection and marketing. You are helping the retailer create a "profile" with data that everyone is so willing to provide...phone number, credit card used, item purchased. That's gold!

As for burritos. If you're from the East coast, specifically, PA, NJ or NY and visit CA where burritos are more common than any other fast food choice, you would give an arm and leg for a decent piece of pizza. It almost seems like there isn't one Italian living in CA, at least not one that owns a restaurant.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
You and I will get along then, lol. I don't do lines. Ever. I'll hire someone off of Task Rabbit or similar, pay then $40 and they'll go stand in line for me. iPhones for example.
So instead of spending say 10 minutes in a line you're willing to spend an additional $40 and wait an additional 1/2 hour for some crappy fast food arrive cold?

Man people's standards and expectations are just so low.

Last edited by omasou; 08-24-2021 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #28
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
So you're fine w/spending an additional $40 for some crappy fast food that will take forever to arrive and arrive cold?

Man people's standards and expectations are just so low.
Nobody is paying "an additional $40" for fast food. He was talking about paying that amount in reference
to someone standing in line for a new iPhone as an example. Bit of a difference between a $10 fast food meal and a $1,000 iPhone.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Nobody is paying "an additional $40" for fast food. He was talking about paying that amount in reference
to someone standing in line for a new iPhone as an example. Bit of a difference between a $10 fast food meal and a $1,000 iPhone.
Unless that person resells you that phone, I'm pretty sure that's not a real example or even possible even if you give them all your personal information.

But more that I think about it...it's a stupid example...just order it on line and wait for it to arrive and for a just released iPhone if you don't want to stay up and order it before it stocks out then you're just plain lazy and don't really want it fast.

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/iphone#pickup

https://www.apple.com/shop/shipping-pickup

Turns out Apple already provides options and they don't cost $40 extra. TaskRabbit and $40 extra are for the terminally lazy.

Last edited by omasou; 08-24-2021 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #30
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
OMFG, I just looked up TaskRabbit...how f*n incompetent does a person need to be to hire some underemployed/unemployed schmo to do these tasks. I get people may need help, e.g. moving but come on plant a flower!!!!

I'd rather spend all day on YouTube learning how to do something properly rather than hire some uninvested individual to wipe my a** for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #31
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Fact is...

They're putting something in the water that is breeding stupidity with little doubt!

Wait for decisions like in Oregon, that State educators have decided to drop standards for graduation (English, Math, etc)... It's only going to get better!

They're taking clocks out of schools because kids can't use it to tell time. They don't teach Script any more either, so forget fancy cake decorating or wedding invitations, lol, and the "common core" has teens counting on their fingers! Heaven forbid when checking out at a store you give change with your payment to get back a dollar bill... They pull out a calculator!

All good stuff!
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15696.50
      08-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #32
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Unless that person resells you that phone, I'm pretty sure that's not a real example or even possible even if you give them all your personal information.

But more that I think about it...it's a stupid example...just order it on line and wait for it to arrive and for a just released iPhone if you don't want to stay up and order it before it stocks out then you're just plain lazy and don't really want it fast.

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/iphone#pickup

https://www.apple.com/shop/shipping-pickup

Turns out Apple already provides options and they don't cost $40 extra. TaskRabbit and $40 extra are for the terminally lazy.
I think you are taking this way too literally....

The point is the person doesn't want to stand in line, and is willing to pay a premium to be an early adopter without having to stand in line to make it happen.

Whether that be paying someone to stand in line or paying a premium on the resale market is irrelevant to the point being made.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks, I needed this. I was starting to think I'd become the most cynical irritable intolerant a'hole ever....
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Some good points here. Someone is a sad sack and never gonna have a good day.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #35
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Wow. I think I am dumber after reading this thread.

The OP is right - although I think he has it backwards. The world is going to pot - but not because of the folks he interacted with that day. It's going to pot because of folks like him.

Stay home.

The world will be a better place because of it.

==

Instead of complaining because these interactions didn't make your day better - maybe next time you venture out, ask yourself "What am I doing to make the day better for the people I interact with, rather than the other way around"?
King Rudi13154.00
Littlebear3509.50
shoei7779.00
hubbahubba8806.00
      08-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Wow. I think I am dumber after reading this thread.

The OP is right - although I think he has it backwards. The world is going to pot - but not because of the folks he interacted with that day. It's going to pot because of folks like him.

Stay home.

The world will be a better place because of it.

==

Instead of complaining because these interactions didn't make your day better - maybe next time you venture out, ask yourself "What am I doing to make the day better for the people I interact with, rather than the other way around"?
Points. Its worse than I thought out there. Try some personal responsibility, sounds like a whiney 5 year old.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13154.00
      08-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #37
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
He asks if I'm picking up and order and I respond no, placing one. He asks for my phone number. I just say nevermind, turn around and walk out.
Use my response when asked for my phone number at a store. I don't have a freaking phone, which is why I'm standing face-to-face with you to place this order!

I guess that you could give them 867-5309, and tell them to ask for Jenny. That would probably go straight over any millennials' head.....
cmyx6go15696.50
      08-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #38
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Use my response when asked for my phone number at a store. I don't have a freaking phone, which is why I'm standing face-to-face with you to place this order!

I guess that you could give them 867-5309, and tell them to ask for Jenny. That would probably go straight over any millennials' head.....
Everytime this happens to me, I just say "no thank you" and they smile and move on. It's never been an issue.

Not sure why folks feel compelled to make it one.

King Rudi13154.00
Littlebear3509.50
      08-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #39
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

At least dude not making life worse for anyone but himself
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #40
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LMAO - I am going to let my GF read this tonight - she will immediately say "THIS IS YOU!"

Even reading it knowing it is me - I cringe. My father was the same way. I hate people. I hate standing in line. I hate having to explain the simplest of things to people who should know. I just can't do it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a line and the customer ahead of me goes and let's see.....and starts looking at the lottery ticket selection - like one is different from the other - and I just set my shit down and leave.

Or when I hold a door for someone and they don't acknowledge you in anyway or even give you the nod and I go "YOU ARE WELCOME!"

2 years ago I went into an O'Reillys near my farm - in a very small town. I pulled a dead battery out of our little tractor and brought it in. I set it down, just a normal car size battery, and the guys behind the counter are looking at pics on one of the others phone. I stand there for a beat or two, just about to walk out when one finally says "Can I help you?" and I said I need a battery. Of course I immediately get the "what's it for?" and I say a NH tractor. With a HUGE sigh he says "It's probably not in the system....." and trails off. Now this tractor is like 5 years old, so I am sure it is, but I just stare at him. He goes "I guess I could measure it.....and exhaustively goes thru the motions of looking for a tape measure. I just say "Never mind - I would not want to put you out...... " and take it off the counter and walk out. I hate people. I really just need to make the leap to a Hermit and do society a huge favor.

The littlest things set me off. I'm a total asshole. But when I do get decent service - I am usually a huge tipper and have written a lot of letters in my life to bosses praising a good worker who goes above and beyond. Sad it is so shocking to get great service nowadays, but I try and praise it as much as I can.
M_Six16882.50
vreihen1615209.50
cmyx6go15696.50
      08-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #41
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post

2 years ago I went into an O'Reillys near my farm - in a very small town. I pulled a dead battery out of our little tractor and brought it in. I set it down, just a normal car size battery, and the guys behind the counter are looking at pics on one of the others phone. I stand there for a beat or two, just about to walk out when one finally says "Can I help you?" and I said I need a battery. Of course I immediately get the "what's it for?" and I say a NH tractor. With a HUGE sigh he says "It's probably not in the system....." and trails off. Now this tractor is like 5 years old, so I am sure it is, but I just stare at him. He goes "I guess I could measure it.....and exhaustively goes thru the motions of looking for a tape measure. I just say "Never mind - I would not want to put you out...... " and take it off the counter and walk out.

I got that a couple of weeks ago at a supermarket. I was standing at the meat counter while two employees were chatting. And chatting. And chatting. Finally one of them looks at me standing there all alone and asks if I need help. I wanted to reply, "No, I just enjoy standing around staring at cuts of meat" or some such thing. But I behaved and ordered what I wanted.

Then I went over to the deli counter to grab some pasta salad and waited while the two employees there were chatting. Same scenario. I finally had to interrupt them and ask if one of them could grab me some salad. One of them reluctantly came over and made some lame excuse about how this wasn't her section so she couldn't get me an exact weight of anything. I thought, "What? There's a scale right here." But again, I held my tongue and told her to just fill a large container with pasta salad. So she does and then puts it on the scale so she could print a label. Of course the scale gave her the exact weight. I just took my salad and thanked her and moved on.

My dark side comes out when I'm driving. I must have a sign on the front of my car that says, "Please drive slowly in front of me" because it seems to happen more often than not. When the speed limit is 30 and the car in front of me is doing 20, I turn into Mr. Hyde. Wifey hates it and I usually regret getting upset later. I don't know what it is about being caught behind some brain dead idiot crawling along, but it seems to be the norm around here and especially in Champaign, where they must be putting 'Ludes in the water supply.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 08-24-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15696.50
unluky7521.50
      08-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #42
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
So I messed up and bought the wrong wheel bearings for my Golf. I've done them before, 10+ years ago at least. Seems my memory has failed me and the parts and process I remember, it not at all how it's done.
I'm not sure what car I'm remembering now.
So I have to drive 45 min to find the correct part from Autozone (they only have 1 on hand).
As long as I'm in town I may as well check another parts store (Oreilly's) and see if they have the second one that I want. Lady at counter, I tell her the vehicle and part I'm after. She starts typing. I know where this is going. I've done parts long enough I have a good handle on how the interfaces work. She responds with them not having one on hand. I'm pretty confident they actually do. But I'm not in any mood to teach today. I thank her and leave.

Two block away is my favorite pizza right now. But EVERY time I go there it's a struggle. The place is so mismanaged. I decide to risk it. I'm on a bad day and may as well see how deep I can dig.
I go in and let the guy finish with the customer ahead of me. He asks if I'm picking up and order and I respond no, placing one. He asks for my phone number. I just say nevermind, turn around and walk out.

Well shit lets go for 3.
There is another of the previous parts store in town a few miles away. May as well check that one. The guy looks up the part, says he has one and goes to get it. He sets it on the counter and I ask, so what do you want for it. $69.99 he says. I reply with how about $61.99 as I'm pulling the receipt out from the other bearing I just bought. 'Why would I do that' he says.
Nevermind. And I walk out.

I people watch probably more than I should. I'm not seeing any hope from my interactions or observations. We're doomed. Not the generations after us. The current generations.
Before I even understood what you were going on about, these two things stood out most to me. How very noble of you to allow the customer in front of you to finish his transaction with the employee of the business you just entered and my most favorite interaction with customers is when they know more about my job than I do. Go on, ask me how well the tattoo sessions went from customers who told me how I needed to tattoo them the right way. This is sarcasm.

Look man, I've become the resident pain in the ass/doom and gloom guy here. This town isn't big enough for both of us. In all seriousness, this will be the second time that I have offered this advice on here, in the past week. Lose the ego and change your perspective. Not everything is about you, it's about all of us, simultaneously. How very dare the employees actually try to assist you. Good for you for just walking out as they perform their job of assisting you.

Had I been any of the employees that you encountered, you would have gotten a muffled "asshole" as you walked away....and I'm the type to stare you in the face and dare you to say something in return.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #43
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Before I even understood what you were going on about, these two things stood out most to me. How very noble of you to allow the customer in front of you to finish his transaction with the employee of the business you just entered and my most favorite interaction with customers is when they know more about my job than I do. Go on, ask me how well the tattoo sessions went from customers who told me how I needed to tattoo them the right way. This is sarcasm.

Look man, I've become the resident pain in the ass/doom and gloom guy here. This town isn't big enough for both of us. In all seriousness, this will be the second time that I have offered this advice on here, in the past week. Lose the ego and change your perspective. Not everything is about you, it's about all of us, simultaneously. How very dare the employees actually try to assist you. Good for you for just walking out as they perform their job of assisting you.

Had I been any of the employees that you encountered, you would have gotten a muffled "asshole" as you walked away....and I'm the type to stare you in the face and dare you to say something in return.
Awww, see. You're just teddy bear in disguise.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-24-2021, 10:01 AM   #44
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
While I can empathize with a lot of what's being said, I just can't let it ruin my day.

My wife wrote "PERSPECTIVE" on the white board I walk past out to the garage each day. I suggest the same.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
King Rudi13154.00