BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Daimler stops developing internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daiml...electric-cars/

According to German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Daimler development chief Markus Schaefer said that they currently have no plans to develop a next-generation combustion engine and they are focusing on new electric powertrains.

While they will not invest in the development of new combustion engines, Schaefer reportedly noted that they still might work on some specific parts to improve on their existing engines.

In recent years, there have been signs that internal combustion engines were reaching their limits.

It became increasingly clear when the entire industry was caught cheating to make it look like their diesel engines were actually more efficient and less polluting than they actually were.

Furthermore, generations of combustion engines have long development timelines and there are other factors that may render the investment worthless.

For example, several countries are implementing or announcing their intentions to ban the sale of new gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles by 2040.

This is pushing automakers like VW and now Daimler, to rethink their longterm strategy for investing in powertrain development.

Daimler has previously announced plans for Mercedes-Benz and smart cars to offer electric versions of all car models by 2022.

However, they still believe that a majority of their vehicles will still have an internal combustion engine at that time.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003900.00