Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

IG has pissed me off recently, with a barrage of ads, posts by people it suggests I should follow, stuff not being in chronological order... It's a waste of my damn time. Result? Deleted the app, just liked I deleted Facebook years and years ago.

I urge others to the same.
Appreciate 3
puppydax146.50
iconoclast7265.50
upstatedoc7561.50
      01-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

LOL, never mind. You guys are actually WANTING to have people follow you and become popular with lots of cute little likes, comments and follows.
Appreciate 1
puppydax146.50
      01-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
puppydax
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 Viper ACR  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
IG has pissed me off recently, with a barrage of ads, posts by people it suggests I should follow, stuff not being in chronological order... It's a waste of my damn time. Result? Deleted the app, just liked I deleted Facebook years and years ago.

Getting there. IG is suggesting I like people's posts or follow them and I see really really late posts. Why do things start great and tank to garbage? Sounds like people.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydax View Post
Getting there. IG is suggesting I like people's posts or follow them and I see really really late posts. Why do things start great and tank to garbage? Sounds like people.
Agree. Was fun years ago. Now it's annoying, especially seeing lame stories all day long about your dog running around or you cooking a meal. Worst is those car guys who post literally the same f'in picture of their cars day after day, at just a SLIGHTLY different angle. Who cares.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #27
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:

I deleted FB as well. IG might be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydax View Post
I agree. I just want to see what my REAL, tangible friends are up too not some fake IG model pushing product.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #28
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Worst is those car guys who post literally the same f'in picture of their cars day after day, at just a SLIGHTLY different angle. Who cares.
Totally agree with this one, pretty annoying.
Appreciate 2
puppydax146.50
P111572.00
      01-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #29
puppydax
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 Viper ACR  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
I deleted FB as well. IG might be next.

I agree. I just want to see what my REAL, tangible friends are up too not some fake IG model pushing product.
Thank you. I signed up to see cars (without ugly fake half naked girls), dogs/animals and my family. Anything else is garbage for my tastes lol.
Appreciate 2
P111572.00
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #30
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
LOL, never mind. You guys are actually WANTING to have people follow you and become popular with lots of cute little likes, comments and follows.
Lol, you mad, bruh? I'm not too big on internet high-fives either, and find it laughable and tragic that society has relegated to such measures for validation, but there's no need to be shitting on people's threads just because you disagree with them.

BTW, I think the OP and others who are joining his engagement group or whatever are also tired of the same shit you are, which is why they're trying to bump each other up to the top, so at least you guys agree there.

However, who cares if it's not affecting you, especially as someone who's not even on IG anymore?

Last edited by cxp213; 01-25-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #31
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Once we have 10 users I will create a group with all of us on Instagram, and we can grow it from there!
not sure if it's too late to join the party but i will gladly follow any member on here who follows me.

@_.ICONOCLAST
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #32
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:

Quote:
Instagram is consistently altering its algorithm in order to better monetize their system (which makes sense from a business perspective, but definitely not the same user experience).

That is exactly the reason for these engagement type groups, it alters the algorithm to bring users posts back where they should be; above the clutter of ads, and suggested posts etc.

No need to hate on the thread just because you don't understand how it works...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #33
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
not sure if it's too late to join the party but i will gladly follow any member on here who follows me.

@_.ICONOCLAST
Added you to our list, now at 7 people. Once at 10 people I will start a group on instagram!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
The reason for limiting to just forum members at the moment is because the smaller, more niche groups, tend to end up better engaged.

There are many facebook engagement groups with 5000+ members but they end up being very cluttered with unnecessary chat and jargon unfortunately..

As you thought, in simple terms it is a group of people in chat that notify one another after posting & then the other members like/comment on those posts to increase engagement. Instagram recently implemented an algorithm that releases your post to 10% of your followers, and depending on how that 10% engage with it, they increase the exposure and possibly to the explore page also.

edit: happy to add you to the list if you're interested to participate!
If you are limiting it to forum members, and the forum members already know each other from the forum... where you are chatting now... why would you not just keep all the interaction on the forum? Create a thread here, post your pics, chat away. Zero hassle, zero effort, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #35
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are limiting it to forum members, and the forum members already know each other from the forum... where you are chatting now... why would you not just keep all the interaction on the forum? Create a thread here, post your pics, chat away. Zero hassle, zero effort, problem solved.
Go back and read the point of this thread over again...... You're not getting it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #36
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Go back and read the point of this thread over again...... You're not getting it.
I get what the OP is trying to do, but he's making it very hard on himself and essentially duplicating efforts. When you boil it down, he wants to engage with forum members, but for some reason move them to a different social platform ( Instagram). That's not very efficient, especially considering the hoops you'll have to jump through; join a group, message your post right after posting a picture, then other members need to like it within the hour. Goodness, what a hassle, right! It's utterly pointless, and a waste of time.

Why not just keep everything on the forum? You can still post your pictures. You can still comment on them. You can even give it a fun "like".

Tell me what I'm not getting.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #37
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get what the OP is trying to do, but he's making it very hard on himself and essentially duplicating efforts. When you boil it down, he wants to engage with forum members, but for some reason move them to a different social platform ( Instagram). That's not very efficient, especially considering the hoops you'll have to jump through; join a group, message your post right after posting a picture, then other members need to like it within the hour. Goodness, what a hassle, right! It's utterly pointless, and a waste of time.

Why not just keep everything on the forum? You can still post your pictures. You can still comment on them. You can even give it a fun "like".

We will still be on IG(and here) whether or not we post the pics on e90P also. What he is trying to do is skew our IG algorithms a little our way to make it work better for us while we are on IG so we see more relevant stuff and also so that other people(that aren't even in the group/connected per se) that are interested in similar stuff(like BMW's) see our post's and vice-versa.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #38
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
We will still be on IG(and here) whether or not we post the pics on e90P also. What he is trying to do is skew our IG algorithms a little our way to make it work better for us while we are on IG so we see more relevant stuff and also so that other people(that aren't even in the group/connected per se) that are interested in similar stuff(like BMW's) see our post's and vice-versa.
You guys certainly are making it very difficult on yourself, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #39
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys certainly are making it very difficult on yourself, no?
I guess?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #40
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Well, for one, you're adding extra steps. You're already on IG because you just posted there. Why log into a forum just to inform others about a post when you can simply message people on IG you have open in front of you, where there's an ongoing group chat?

Additionally, the notifications from a chat on a social media platform will always be better/faster in receiving and responding than email notifications that not everybody opts to receive, which then introduces further delays and hassles waiting for people to log in to a yet another platform (forums).

There's also no need to have an ongoing thread about every little post someone makes and then have bunch of responses from others informing the poster that they contributed.

Honestly, it sounds like it'll be a hassle for whoever is managing it (well, if they decide to check to see who's not contributing). It might turn into a chore, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #41
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Lol, you mad, bruh? I'm not too big on internet high-fives either, and find it laughable and tragic that society has relegated to such measures for validation, but there's no need to be shitting on people's threads just because you disagree with them.

BTW, I think the OP and others who are joining his engagement group or whatever are also tired of the same shit you are, which is why they're trying to bump each other up to the top, so at least you guys agree there.

However, who cares if it's not affecting you, especially as someone who's not even on IG anymore?
He actually clearly states he's doing it to help the pages grow. Why would one care about followers? Or likes? Or comments? If it's just about sharing photos of your car, why do any of those things matter?

What does a follower, a like or a comment get you in life? What's the end goal? More likes, comments or followers don't mean anything.

Actually, this made me think of a funny story. This truly happened and I think you'll get a kick out of it. About a year or so ago, a girl I know was out with her girlfriends. Beautiful, tall Texas blonde. Guy starts hitting on her and he's not having much luck. So he pulls out, in his mind at least, the big gun: "hey, don't you recognize me? I'm pretty famous on Instagram". She just looked at him and started laughing, which obviously made him take a hike. The guy was 100% serious also! Unreal, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #42
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He actually clearly states he's doing it to help the pages grow. Why would one care about followers? Or likes? Or comments? If it's just about sharing photos of your car, why do any of those things matter?

What does a follower, a like or a comment get you in life? What's the end goal? More likes, comments or followers don't mean anything.

Actually, this made me think of a funny story. This truly happened and I think you'll get a kick out of it. About a year or so ago, a girl I know was out with her girlfriends. Beautiful, tall Texas blonde. Guy starts hitting on her and he's not having much luck. So he pulls out, in his mind at least, the big gun: "hey, don't you recognize me? I'm pretty famous on Instagram". She just looked at him and started laughing, which obviously made him take a hike. The guy was 100% serious also! Unreal, right?
Sorry, all I saw was the bolded.. Pics?

For real, though.. Yeah, of course, this is about growing their page, lol. You're right that majority won't benefit tangibly from the additional attention they get, other than self-gratification, but again that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with doing so. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      01-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #43
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I'm like do it for the gram ho, do it for the gram ho~MEEK
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      01-25-2018, 11:48 PM   #44
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

The tricky thing is that the new IG algorithm is based on your average engagement (likes and comments) and you get bumped up when a post goes above average. So you have to keep improving your numbers. It's very annoying.

I applaud your efforts but people will need to always be available to hit the like button for you to participate and I can't do that when I'm working. Good luck though!
Appreciate 0