BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
tobytw
Registered
Rep
Drives: C350 coupe, i8

i8 in snow?

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, first, this is a great site, I have spent about 2 months here going through pretty much all the thread all the way back to the very first page. I understand that this topic have been answered but just wanted to get a bit more information regarding driving the vehicle in the snow/winter. I am getting a 16 i8 that will be arriving the dealership next week. Can't wait!!

A little bit of background, I am located in loop area Chicago, currently has a Mercedes c350 coupe AWD. I will probably get rid of it in the future, why? I am single with no kids. There are usually only me and my dog in the vehicle. I have no need for 2 cars. But if I wanted to downsize to i8 only. I want to seek opinions from people who has experience regarding driving the vehicle in winter/snow during the winter. I am asking based on using all the stock wheel and tire without using the winter wheel/tire package from BMW. I know we have at least a couple owners from the area, would love to hear from their experiences.

Last, English is not my first language so please excuse if the grammar is terrible.

Thank you all for your time, any suggestion and ideal would be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You MUST use snow tires in winter. Just get a set that you can put on the stock rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I have the winter wheel package and it works great. I think a simple wheel swap is a lot easier than replacing the tires on the rims twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

I live outside of Philadelphia, and if I had to have only one car it would not be the i8. In fact it would not even be a consideration. I cannot speak for anyone's situation other than my own, but it can take a few days after a snow fall before you can even see the road again. The patches of black ice are hard to see at night and I have had to avoid quite a few other drivers in uncontrollable slides to avert an accident. Perhaps where you live OP it is different, but I agree with the opinion you will need snow tires. I have 3 SUV's for winter (one is my dogs car) and though I keep the i8 (and the 440 xi) as part of my winter cars, it is the Range Rover (with Nokian Tires) that goes out in the snow. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Agreed that the i8 is not the ideal one-car DD. Generally not a good idea to put an expensive car at risk in hazardous weather conditions. But that is my plan. I used to winter rallye, and I still love to play in the snow. If the crazies are out, I will just Uber.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
I have the winter wheel package and it works great. I think a simple wheel swap is a lot easier than replacing the tires on the rims twice a year.
Agreed, and easier on the tires as well. That said, there is a case to be made for putting high performance V or Z rated winter tires in summer sizes on the stock rims if you live in locations where deep snow is rare.

I hope to find a cheap used set of stock rims to put my winter tires on. Or maybe splurge and get ultra-lightweight BBS DI-R rims w/ wider Michelin PSS rubber for summer, and use the stock rims for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I plan on using the i8 as my DD, and in winter weather permitting.

We live upstate NY, winters have been hit and miss. This winter would have been easy to use the i8 most of the time. We had a couple of big storms, but snow was gone after only a few days.

Still trying to decide winter tires on the stock rims, or winter tires and rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Used my I8 this winter with the BMW Winter Wheel/Tire Package. Apart from clearance the car is as good as any SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Talking

i8 & snow/ice are a match made in heaven

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1365437
Appreciate 0