BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
-Sam
Rep
Drives: I8

I8 upgraded speakers

hello,

I am new to the forum and i am just in the process of chosing what extras/options i want on my i8. Firstly is the uprgraded Harman kardon Speakers a must have? Are the standard ones not very good. Its a £895 extra which seems a lot but in the grand scheme of things (total car price) is it worth the extra money?

Are there any other options i should definitely have that i may have missed?

One more question, i am only 21 so the dealership will not let me test drive one as their insurance doesnt cover it. Should i be aware of anything that may anoy me when driving?/i am sure it is nice to drive but dont want to be disappointed?

Thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8 Pure Impulse

I can't help you with the speaker question but the only thing that will annoy you about the car is the lack of engine/ exhaust noise if you come from another high performance car and the attention. Someone threw a book at my car on the freeway because I honked at him so be a little careful with the horn.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
-Sam
Rep

I drive a 2.2L diesel evoque at the moment so i dont think the engine noise will annoy me to much, the dealer has said he will take me out in one tomorrow, but i cant drive it . I will see what it sounds like then. Would really like to know about the speakers tho?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I'm not a huge fan of the H/K set tbh - I think it's still pretty weak for the price of this car. So that said, I can't imagine what the standard set is like. I upgraded the rear woofer, and would eventually like the upgrade the rest of the speakers through BavSound.

I'd rather spend that money from the upgrade option on my own speakers, but I'm assuming you won't get the same amp and possibly other things which would not be easily upgraded. If you at least somewhat enjoy listening to music...I would go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I'd say the HK speakers are a must over the standard set...

Have you tried other dealers to see if they will allow you to test drive it?

Coming from a diesel Evoque, you will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
-Sam
Rep

Sounds like i should then, i like to listen to music (sometimes loud) and i dont want them to sound rubbish. I wouldnt want to get the standard speakers then be upset the day i got the car!

If anyone has the standard/has had them that could let me know what they sound like that would be great
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sam View Post
Sounds like i should then, i like to listen to music (sometimes loud) and i dont want them to sound rubbish. I wouldnt want to get the standard speakers then be upset the day i got the car!

If anyone has the standard/has had them that could let me know what they sound like that would be great
Definitely do NOT get the standard ones. Car will disappoint you and any future buyer will be put off too.

You can compare by listening to the standard ones in an i3 at your dealer. Same speakers.

HK ones are dramatically better.

Remember too that sounds from the engine are piped into the cabin via the ICE system, so that is another reason not to get cheap speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One more question, i am only 21 so the dealership will not let me test drive one as their insurance doesnt cover it. Should i be aware of anything that may anoy me when driving?/i am sure it is nice to drive but dont want to be disappointed?

I wrote a very detailed review here that should help you

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1016260
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
-Sam
Rep

Thanks for all the help, i am seeing the bmw man today as he is going to take me out in the car. So i will see if he can do me a deal on the HK speakers. Thanks again for the help. Will be waiting till march (new reg) till i get my car so will hopefully post pictures then
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
hello,

I am new to the forum and i am just in the process of chosing what extras/options i want on my i8. Firstly is the uprgraded Harman kardon Speakers a must have? Are the standard ones not very good. Its a £895 extra which seems a lot but in the grand scheme of things (total car price) is it worth the extra money?

Are there any other options i should definitely have that i may have missed?

Thanks for your time
I'd shop around a little bit for a one-off insurance cover of your own, so you can drive the car. If it's for a test drive, and a dealer rep is with you in the car at all times, that doesn't seem to bad of a risk. Heck, I'd probably cover it. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Am I missing something because it HK was standard on all i8's?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
Am I missing something because it HK was standard on all i8's?
In the US it was. Not in the UK. At least not in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
-Sam
Rep

It is an extra in the uk, turns out the dealer did let me test drive it, which was amazing (ordered it 2 days ago for march delivery!) cant wait
Appreciate 0