03-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Debuts i4 and iX to Augmented Reality Experience

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW of North America Debuts a Unique Digital Experience Bringing the All-New, Fully-Electric BMW iX and i4 to Life In Vivid Detail Through Augmented Reality.
COMMENTS
Name:  P90452692-highRes.jpg
Views: 4226
Size:  313.4 KB

BMW and Google Cloud collaborate to present the iX and i4 AR Experience, powered by Google Cloud’s edge computing technology.

Users can leverage augmented reality to digitally place the BMW iX and i4 in their own driveways and other locations in vivid detail via their smartphones and interact with each vehicle’s features virtually.

The BMW iX and i4 AR experience is best viewed via bmwusa.com , which provides a direct link into the experience in the Google app for Android and iPhone OS.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – March 1, 2022… BMW of North America debuted today a unique, immersive augmented reality (AR) experience featuring its all-new, fully-electric BMW iX and BMW i4 vehicles created in collaboration with Google Cloud. The AR experience, powered by Google Cloud’s immersive AR technology, allows users to digitally place the BMW iX and BMW i4 into any real-world environment in vivid detail with usable virtual features such as changing paint colors, lighting elements and opening/closing doors. The BMW iX and i4 AR Experience is best viewed via bmwusa.com, which provides a direct link into the experience in the Google app for Android and iPhone OS.

The BMW iX and i4 experience, leveraging Google Cloud’s immersive AR technology, allows users to interact with the i4 and iX in photorealistic detail. The digital experience utilizes augmented reality in a totally new way for BMW customers and enthusiasts to interact with BMW’s all-new, fully-electric vehicles ahead of their U.S. market launch this spring.

“BMW will celebrate the U.S. market launch of our all-new, fully-electric BMW iX and i4 next month,” said Albi Pagenstert, head of brand communications and strategy, BMW of North America. “We know that our new and existing customers expect unique and innovative campaigns for two of the most unique and innovative vehicles in our brand’s history, and Google Cloud helped us create something very special to share with them.”

To power the BMW iX and i4 AR Experience, Google Cloud utilizes its unique interactive streaming solution that provides photorealistic experience to all users. As an example, users can choose to get an up close and personal look of details like the fine leather grain and stitching in the interior of the BMW iX, vividly rendered via millions of polygons by Google Cloud’s industry-leading computing technology.

The all-new BMW i4 Gran Coupe and iX Sports Activity Vehicle are the newest chapters in BMW’s electrification story. The all-wheel-drive i4 M50 is the first fully electric vehicle from BMW M GmbH. Offering a total system output of up to 536 hp from its dual electric motors, the i4 M50 can launch from 0-60 miles per hour in just 3.7 seconds and return an EPA estimated range of 270 miles between charges. The rear-wheel-drive i4 eDrive40 features a single 335 hp electric motor and can accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in just 5.5 seconds and travel an EPA estimated range of up to 301 miles.

The BMW iX is the technological flagship of BMW i. Produced in a factory powered by locally-sourced hydroelectric power, incorporating a number of recycled materials, and powered by electric motors that use no rare earth metals, the iX xDrive50 considers the planet from the start of production through to the end of its serviceable life. Its dual fifth-generation BMW electric motors produce 516 hp and allow the all-wheel-drive iX to accelerate from 0-60 in only 4.6 seconds and achieve an EPA estimated range of up to 324 miles.

The i4 and iX go on sale in the first quarter of 2022. Base MSRP for the i4 eDrive40 is $55,400 while the i4 M50 starts at $65,900, plus $995 destination and handling for either model. The iX xDrive50 starts at $83,200 plus $995 destination and handling.

Name:  P90452692-highRes.jpg
Views: 4226
Size:  313.4 KB

Name:  P90452696-highRes.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  307.2 KB

Name:  P90452695-highRes.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  P90452693-highRes.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  440.3 KB

Name:  P90452694-highRes.jpg
Views: 3812
Size:  462.5 KB

Name:  P90452691-highRes.jpg
Views: 3780
Size:  257.9 KB

Name:  P90452698-highRes.jpg
Views: 3775
Size:  315.0 KB

Name:  P90452697-highRes.jpg
Views: 3747
Size:  223.5 KB

Name:  P90452700-highRes.jpg
Views: 3749
Size:  263.1 KB

Name:  P90452701-highRes.jpg
Views: 3745
Size:  302.2 KB

Name:  P90452699-highRes.jpg
Views: 3751
Size:  358.4 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
cinoh2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Convertible 2011

Can’t find it.
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Dear BMW. Can you please make a hybrid sports coupe that incorporates a high revving naturally aspirated racing engine together with a battery, like what Porsche did with the 918?

Sincerely,

Car fans.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 8
      03-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Got something in my email about this, but it was just taking me to the Zeus video, or the accessorize your car. How do I get this?
      03-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #5
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Both very ugly. Both overpriced. Both fall short of expectations and are insanely overweight thus causing inefficiency.

We're at this point where car manufactures are cranking out unfinished products to appease the masses when it's just a waste of money, productivity and resources. Get the electric car right before you mass produce them and saturate your line up with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Both very ugly. Both overpriced. Both fall short of expectations and are insanely overweight thus causing inefficiency.
Have you even read the reviews?
Both i4 and iX have met or exceeds most expectation in most reviews.

And most people don't realize iX is actually more efficient than Model X (Bjorn's data sheet).
By all account, BMW has gotten it very right for both products.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4255.50
      03-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Have you even read the reviews?
Both i4 and iX have met or exceeds most expectation in most reviews.

And most people don't realize iX is actually more efficient than Model X (Bjorn's data sheet).
By all account, BMW has gotten it very right for both products.
Many reviews conclude they feel heavy and dull except for straight line acceleration up to about 80…

I'm not saying they're not impressive compared to Tesla. I'm saying in general. Plopping a 5600lb suv over top of batteries and getting 280 miles of range in the high performance model in a vehicle supposed to be used for hauling people or things… yeah not so great. Can't get in the headspace of anyone who would spend 100k on a car that's slower, less practical, heavier, uglier, more inconvenient and (depending on specs) more expensive than an X5M.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #8
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinoh2000 View Post
Can’t find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Got something in my email about this, but it was just taking me to the Zeus video, or the accessorize your car. How do I get this?
Try here: http://www.bmwusa.com/evredir.html
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

What color “name” is the iX in the 7th photo? Looks to be a different shade than the Storm Bay or Blue Ridge colors.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #10
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Many reviews conclude they feel heavy and dull except for straight line acceleration up to about 80…

I'm not saying they're not impressive compared to Tesla. I'm saying in general. Plopping a 5600lb suv over top of batteries and getting 280 miles of range in the high performance model in a vehicle supposed to be used for hauling people or things… yeah not so great. Can't get in the headspace of anyone who would spend 100k on a car that's slower, less practical, heavier, uglier, more inconvenient and (depending on specs) more expensive than an X5M.
Well the people who will buy the iX will most likely not even know how much it weights. The car is actually very comfortable, very quiet and the suspension rides really well, similar to a well tuned Porsche Panamera suspension. The X5M is waaaay to stiff for most people, like actually really stiff and compromised. Sure its slower, but its not like you do 0-60 at every stop light, and roll races all the time. Like people who drive Tesla Plaids don't go on cheetah mode at every stop. Also, the unique thing about the the i4M50 is that, when compared to the Model 3 Performance, it continues to pull after 80, where the Model 3 falls face flat, I am going to guess the iX should be similar too.

It is actually convenient if you consider that the majority of people do not drive 280 miles in a day. Most people use their cars for city and suburb driving, probably only 40 miles a day average. All you do after you go home is plug in your car, like how you charge a phone at night. Do you find charging your phone at night inconvenient? Probably not.

Looks is controversial, actually I think it looks better in person, but the interior is definitely a lot nicer than the generic BMW interiors we get these days, material use is also very unique too.

Size is around the same as an X5, but the downside is a weird trunk. But I would say the back seats has more space than an X5.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      03-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Just takes you to the iX info and gallery section...maybe not in the US yet....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Uh, maybe haven't priced an M for awhile:

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...exterior/color

Base. Nicely optioned, but without the Competition package (which is another $9,300):

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...9v5pjb/summary

$117,580.

iX M60 is 3.6s 0-60, BTW, X5M is 3.7s.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #13
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Can't get in the headspace of anyone who would spend 100k on a car that's slower, less practical, heavier, uglier, more inconvenient and (depending on specs) more expensive than an X5M.
Maybe because the iX is more practical, more convenient and in the long run is *significantly* better for the environment and has better running costs than the X5M. The iX M60 is .2 seconds slower than the X5M in 0-60 times and I doubt anyone that's in the market for an SUV is going to notice that. Honestly, I can't understand how anyone would be comfortable spending any amount of money on a new ICE powered car when they could afford a full electric vehicle. Unless you daily drive 500 miles or can *never* charge at home at all, it really doesn't make any sense, practically or financially.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 12:36 AM   #14
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinoh2000 View Post
Can’t find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
How do I get this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Just takes you to the iX info and gallery section...maybe not in the US yet....
I got it to work by going to this web page in my iPhone:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/03/01/b...ented-reality/
In the article, there is a link to the bmwusa web page.
Click on that link, and if it works, it would open a page in "arvr.google.com" and ask you to view in Google App. If you end up directed to bmwusa, then it doesn't work.

Interestingly, I could not get this to work in iPad Pro.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15457.50
      03-02-2022, 08:01 AM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Click on that link, and if it works, it would open a page in "arvr.google.com" and ask you to view in Google App. If you end up directed to bmwusa, then it doesn't work.

Got it! Couldn't figure out the little icon overlays though (Samsung Android), but pretty cool!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

that ix gets pricey quick! dang...

that Storm Bay Metallic color looks awesome

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #17
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Quote:

Well the people who will buy the iX will most likely not even know how much it weights. The car is actually very comfortable, very quiet and the suspension rides really well, similar to a well tuned Porsche Panamera suspension. The X5M is waaaay to stiff for most people, like actually really stiff and compromised. Sure its slower, but its not like you do 0-60 at every stop light, and roll races all the time. Like people who drive Tesla Plaids don't go on cheetah mode at every stop. Also, the unique thing about the the i4M50 is that, when compared to the Model 3 Performance, it continues to pull after 80, where the Model 3 falls face flat, I am going to guess the iX should be similar too.

It is actually convenient if you consider that the majority of people do not drive 280 miles in a day. Most people use their cars for city and suburb driving, probably only 40 miles a day average. All you do after you go home is plug in your car, like how you charge a phone at night. Do you find charging your phone at night inconvenient? Probably not.

Looks is controversial, actually I think it looks better in person, but the interior is definitely a lot nicer than the generic BMW interiors we get these days, material use is also very unique too.

Size is around the same as an X5, but the downside is a weird trunk. But I would say the back seats has more space than an X5.
And a gasoline powered car can go 500+ miles. Doesn't mean you have to use it's range but it's there when you need it.

Just boggles my mind to spend that much on a car with a handicap like that. Road-tripping is basically non existent unless you make up an excuse to enjoy a 30+ min charging time. Either way to each their own. Electric cars serve their purpose id get one but this ix is so far from what makes any logical sense to me I'd never even consider it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #18
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
And a gasoline powered car can go 500+ miles. Doesn't mean you have to use it's range but it's there when you need it.

Just boggles my mind to spend that much on a car with a handicap like that. Road-tripping is basically non existent unless you make up an excuse to enjoy a 30+ min charging time. Either way to each their own. Electric cars serve their purpose id get one but this ix is so far from what makes any logical sense to me I'd never even consider it.
The only ICE SUVs that can hit 500 miles in ideal conditions are diesels, which you Americans seem to hate anyway. Tell me, when you go on road trips, do you equip you and your family with catheters so you can drive 500 miles without stopping? That's 7 hours worth of driving on motorway speeds. Now I admit, when I was 18, I'd sometimes drive for 3 hours without stopping when it was just me in the car. Nowadays, with my wife in the car, an hour and a half is pushing it and it's not a matter of filling up the tank and having a quick pee anymore when I do stop because of the wife, kids etc. The reality is that normal people will stop for at least 15 minutes every 1 to 2 hours. With an EV like the iX, you're looking at about 30 minute stops every 1.5-2 hours. That's more than fine, especially when you're talking a 1000 mile road trip. It becomes even less of an inconvenience when you don't try to do it all in one day either.

You're talking 30 minute stops instead of 15 minute lightning pee and tank stops. Maybe 1.5 hours extra of rest time compared to an ICE vehicle for day-long road trips. The upside is you never have to waste time in the week normally stopping at petrol stations to fill up the tank for your regular commute / driving. Over the year, you'll save way more time that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #19
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
The only ICE SUVs that can hit 500 miles in ideal conditions are diesels, which you Americans seem to hate anyway. Tell me, when you go on road trips, do you equip you and your family with catheters so you can drive 500 miles without stopping? That's 7 hours worth of driving on motorway speeds. Now I admit, when I was 18, I'd sometimes drive for 3 hours without stopping when it was just me in the car. Nowadays, with my wife in the car, an hour and a half is pushing it and it's not a matter of filling up the tank and having a quick pee anymore when I do stop because of the wife, kids etc. The reality is that normal people will stop for at least 15 minutes every 1 to 2 hours. With an EV like the iX, you're looking at about 30 minute stops every 1.5-2 hours. That's more than fine, especially when you're talking a 1000 mile road trip. It becomes even less of an inconvenience when you don't try to do it all in one day either.

You're talking 30 minute stops instead of 15 minute lightning pee and tank stops. Maybe 1.5 hours extra of rest time compared to an ICE vehicle for day-long road trips. The upside is you never have to waste time in the week normally stopping at petrol stations to fill up the tank for your regular commute / driving. Over the year, you'll save way more time that way.
Yup…. Two of the best A-road slayers were my 335d and 535d…. I could make the VA to FL trip (702 miles) on a single tank in the 535d. I was on fumes, but it could be done… and I did it in ~10 hours once.

My most recent trip in my Tesla was ~13 hours… but I stopped every couple hours for a charge and to walk the dogs - literally and figuratively — As the charging networks improve, both in numbers and max charge rate, the experience will improve. That said, for the vast majority of people, they’re not driving 500+ miles a day. Even a 200 mile RT commute is completely doable today in a BEV… and charging at home, where the rates are low compared to DCFC it makes a lot of sense as a daily driver/commuter. If you can be somewhat flexible for longer roadtrips, a BEV can work, too.

Cheers!
      03-02-2022, 10:23 AM   #20
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Same! When I was looking at the interior of the i4 M50, I noticed the steering wheel had the M1/M2 buttons…. Guess they missed that one…HA! :P

Name:  A611DE9C-2253-4EC4-A7FE-582923FEFB7A.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  85.8 KB
      03-02-2022, 10:26 AM   #21
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

that interior in the iX is not currently available, correct? or is that Castanea chestnut? looks more brown in these pics, if so

Last edited by ppagiga; 03-02-2022 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #22
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Quote:

I live in the us and drive an X5D and yes I often travel more than the range of the ix without stopping.

I can tow a trailer with people in the car and still outpace the ix so yeah it's quite impractical for me. But I get your point. I just believe if you're going to introduce a new product to market you shouldn't be making your customers make accommodations for the very product it replaces.
Appreciate 0