BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

01-30-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
Tonyix
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ix50, MB c43 ,R107 450 sl

Parking Assistance verses Parking Assistance Plus verses Parking Assistance Pro @ £30

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Parking Assistance verses Parking Assistance Plus verses Parking Assistance Plus

Any one confused as to why, when reviewing the car IX 50 M Sport, we went and ticked nearly all the boxes

Ordered inn Sept 2021, expecting or so been told, Car in transit to the UK.
So hopefully March to dealer

Then we find the options on the parking assistance 2 options have now changed to 3 levels, IE Pro added @ £300.00

I assumed as the top option was selected at the time of order .
We would have the memory function for the car

Anyone else ?? in the UK with In similar dilemma
Unable to find out if it’s a simple upgrade , as all sensors seem to be the same.
Are we able to have reto fit of the main missing memory function
Is it OTH firmware upgrade.
Dealer upgrade ?

Only option being offered is to order car with this option and the ensuing wait
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Did you ever hear anything else about this? I've been told that Parking Assistant Pro is only available on newer models, despite being a software only feature, and cannot be dealer upgraded after a car has left the factory. It's a bit of a worry though as one of the great features of the iX is supposed to be how future proof it is in terms of autonomous driving facilities. If you can't get a £300 software only parking feature added on after manufacture, then what's going to happen when the iX finally gets enabled for level 3 autonomous driving? Will that only be an option for new iX cars, even if they are mechanically and electrically identical to existing ones?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Did you ever hear anything else about this? I've been told that Parking Assistant Pro is only available on newer models, despite being a software only feature, and cannot be dealer upgraded after a car has left the factory. It's a bit of a worry though as one of the great features of the iX is supposed to be how future proof it is in terms of autonomous driving facilities. If you can't get a £300 software only parking feature added on after manufacture, then what's going to happen when the iX finally gets enabled for level 3 autonomous driving? Will that only be an option for new iX cars, even if they are mechanically and electrically identical to existing ones?
Per BMW press releases, the autonomous level 3 features can be enabled via post-production updates. Not clear why the Parking Assistant Pro would not. Since it involves storing various parking scenarios in memory and needs to integrate GPS, etc, I can speculate that it potentially requires additional (dedicated?) memory capacity or other hardware that isn't installed at the factory unless included in the build. Might be related to supply chain issues as a hidden deletion. As in if it isn't ordered don't install it and it won't show up as an equipment deletion on the build (*cough*passenger lumbar*cough*) but it still saves a chip. Just speculation…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
Per BMW press releases, the autonomous level 3 features can be enabled via post-production updates. Not clear why the Parking Assistant Pro would not. Since it involves storing various parking scenarios in memory and needs to integrate GPS, etc, I can speculate that it potentially requires additional (dedicated?) memory capacity or other hardware that isn't installed at the factory unless included in the build. Might be related to supply chain issues as a hidden deletion. As in if it isn't ordered don't install it and it won't show up as an equipment deletion on the build (*cough*passenger lumbar*cough*) but it still saves a chip. Just speculation…
I just spoke to another dealer and he remembered seeing something online in their internal documentation and found a message from Chris Hollis, head of BMW Connected Drive. He announced that Parking Assistant Professional would be something that would be chargeable and available through the Connected Drive store for vehicles without it "later in 2022". What was a bit unclear was which cars would be able as it looked like it was for cars build after 03.2022 but that could either be March 2022 or Week 3 2022 as discussion about vehicle production or capabilities are based on week build numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
The press releases mentioning Parking Assistant Professional are also fairly vague about requirements only mentioning that it will be available for all all iX variants starting March 2022. It’s also specifically mentioned in the RSU Roadmap from Q4 2022. I have reached out to BMW Press for clarification and will share the feedback when I hear back.
Appreciate 1
PhilD165.50