BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #23
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I think the whole Route 66 driving mindset of Americans has changed over the last couple of years (and was never there in Europe - Frankfurt to Zurich is 260 miles). I did have an X5M a few years back, and the 500+ mile range in the tank was comforting, but never used. The last long trip I took was about 750 miles, split up into 2 days, in a very comfy gasoline X5. And it was painful. Probably a half dozen stops round trip, and not exclusively for gas. Even an E-Tron would be doable. And 99.9% of my driving now (as I suspect most drivers) is within 40 miles of home. The iX is very practical - for me.
Appreciate 1
PhilD165.50
      03-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #24
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I live in the us and drive an X5D and yes I often travel more than the range of the ix without stopping.

I can tow a trailer with people in the car and still outpace the ix so yeah it's quite impractical for me. But I get your point. I just believe if you're going to introduce a new product to market you shouldn't be making your customers make accommodations for the very product it replaces.
The last X5-35d in the US was 2018…. Range is still less compared to the X5-40 petrol variant, but for most it doesn’t matter. BEV’s is a paradigm shift….the vast majority will charge at home or use local L2 chargers. Only with those corner cases where a longer trip is made a DCFC will be needed. Unfortunately towing anything with a BEV will affect the range…and not by a little bit. For those situations, an ICE is the way to go.
Eddien1231849.00
      03-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #25
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
that interior in the iX is not currently available, correct? or is that Castanea chestnut? looks more brown in these pics, if so
Are you talking about the augmented reality iX?
Yes, you can go inside the AR iX, you can open the door or walk through the door
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Is there a way to view this on my kid's Oculus headset?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
And a gasoline powered car can go 500+ miles. Doesn't mean you have to use it's range but it's there when you need it.

Just boggles my mind to spend that much on a car with a handicap like that. Road-tripping is basically non existent unless you make up an excuse to enjoy a 30+ min charging time. Either way to each their own. Electric cars serve their purpose id get one but this ix is so far from what makes any logical sense to me I'd never even consider it.
It just boggles my mind at how people can be closed minded and not want to experience new things.

I own a diesel SUV capable of 700 mile range between fill ups. I have used that range, 5 times when traveling from TX to Colorado. I've done this "long trip" with kids. I also own an EV and have experience road tripping it up to 400 miles in a day.

Quite honestly, I would not want to do that trip in an EV. But that's because it turns a 1.5 day drive into a 2 day drive each way. That's a full day lost in a 1 week trip. If I was going for two weeks? Absolutely I'd take the EV and not worry about it......if I had a good place to charge near my destination.

To be honest, it's not as easy as gas. But also to be honest, I've lived in TX for almost 10 years now and have done that trip 5 times in the car and I'm kind of done with it. The last time we went we flew and rented a car there. The biggest reason we drove was because when we first started doing it, our kids were little, not great at flying, and required a lot of clobber. Now we've gotten them down to normal adult levels of baggage and they fly fine.

This is ONE trip. Taken 5 times in nearly 10 years. That's 10,000 miles of colorado trip. I'll be generous and call it 12,000. Our Cayenne, purchased exactly 1 week prior to our first trip, now has 107k miles. I'd much rather have an EV for the other 90% of the miles we've put on it and either fly or rent a Tahoe for those trips (which is bigger and more comfortable).
Appreciate 3
PhilD165.50
Paladin15527.00
ppagiga660.00
      03-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #28
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Is there a way to view this on my kid's Oculus headset?
No, Augmented Reality does not work in Oculus, which only supports virtual reality.
You need a live video feed, and Oculus' IR camera won't look too good
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6511.50
      03-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #29
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
No, Augmented Reality does not work in Oculus, which only supports virtual reality.
You need a live video feed, and Oculus' IR camera won't look too good

But this link isn't Augmented reality. It is VR. At least the link I followed and watched on my phone.....

Maybe I followed the wrong link?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #30
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But this link isn't Augmented reality. It is VR. At least the link I followed and watched on my phone.....
Maybe I followed the wrong link?
It's AR actually, you can "place" the iX in your driveway.
Even though I placed it in my living room
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #31
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
And a gasoline powered car can go 500+ miles. Doesn't mean you have to use it's range but it's there when you need it.

Just boggles my mind to spend that much on a car with a handicap like that. Road-tripping is basically non existent unless you make up an excuse to enjoy a 30+ min charging time. Either way to each their own. Electric cars serve their purpose id get one but this ix is so far from what makes any logical sense to me I'd never even consider it.
It just boggles my mind at how people can be closed minded and not want to experience new things.

I own a diesel SUV capable of 700 mile range between fill ups. I have used that range, 5 times when traveling from TX to Colorado. I've done this "long trip" with kids. I also own an EV and have experience road tripping it up to 400 miles in a day.

Quite honestly, I would not want to do that trip in an EV. But that's because it turns a 1.5 day drive into a 2 day drive each way. That's a full day lost in a 1 week trip. If I was going for two weeks? Absolutely I'd take the EV and not worry about it......if I had a good place to charge near my destination.

To be honest, it's not as easy as gas. But also to be honest, I've lived in TX for almost 10 years now and have done that trip 5 times in the car and I'm kind of done with it. The last time we went we flew and rented a car there. The biggest reason we drove was because when we first started doing it, our kids were little, not great at flying, and required a lot of clobber. Now we've gotten them down to normal adult levels of baggage and they fly fine.

This is ONE trip. Taken 5 times in nearly 10 years. That's 10,000 miles of colorado trip. I'll be generous and call it 12,000. Our Cayenne, purchased exactly 1 week prior to our first trip, now has 107k miles. I'd much rather have an EV for the other 90% of the miles we've put on it and either fly or rent a Tahoe for those trips (which is bigger and more comfortable).
I'm not closed minded. I'd for sure buy a Tesla model 3 or something that was built from the ground up as an electric car with a proper charging network. I wouldn't replace my suv that I often use as an suv on long trips just to "try new things".

Do 400 miles in a non stop run in my current x5 or have to stop every 200 miles because I'm in an ix and it's towing with 4 people in the car and has a range loss of over 30%? I can't understand why people want to die fighting on this hill. It's a sacrifice to own especially if it's used as a utility vehicle.

If bmw makes an ev that has a decently competitive range and looks half decent, I'd be happy to own it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #32
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not closed minded. I'd for sure buy a Tesla model 3 or something that was built from the ground up as an electric car with a proper charging network.....
Do 400 miles in a non stop run in my current x5 or have to stop every 200 miles because I'm in an ix and it's towing with 4 people in the car and has a range loss of over 30%?....
If bmw makes an ev that has a decently competitive range and looks half decent, I'd be happy to own it.
You seem to imply the BMW EV is not competitive.
But for your use case scenario, there is no EV on the market right now which may satisfy you. Not even "something that was built from the ground up as an electric car with a proper charging network" like Model X.

And that's fine, EV is not for everyone.
However, BMW EV is as good as any out there, and iX has competitive range and more efficient when compared with Model X.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #33
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not closed minded. I'd for sure buy a Tesla model 3 or something that was built from the ground up as an electric car with a proper charging network. I wouldn't replace my suv that I often use as an suv on long trips just to "try new things".

Do 400 miles in a non stop run in my current x5 or have to stop every 200 miles because I'm in an ix and it's towing with 4 people in the car and has a range loss of over 30%? I can't understand why people want to die fighting on this hill. It's a sacrifice to own especially if it's used as a utility vehicle.

Blackberry was a sacrifice to own back in the day due to carrier restrictions, iPhone was a sacrifice to own due to the locked ecosystem, Tesla was a sacrifice to own due to the charging infrastructure...yet all of those examples are flourishing (except for Blackberry who rested on their laurels and went bust). Point is that early adopters are the ones who drive most industries forward.

You say that you can't understand why people want to "die fighting on this hill". I can't understand why people like yourself keep harping on about the looks of the car in the same breath as the apparently terrible efficiency. I switched to EV fairly recently after a lifetime of owning V8s (Mercedes, BMW, VW) and the switch has not hindered my lifestyle at all. It's a slight mindset change, that's all. Many EV evangelists will say "it's so great you get to take things a bit slower and spend quality time with your family on longer drives". In truth I have not been in a situation where trips have taken any longer than they would've in my X5 (I accept that this does depends on the charging infrastructure in your country).

Fact is that most people drive much less than 100 miles a day, so even then the average EV will do just fine. Many, like yourself, get hung up on these epic road trips you have in your mind, but realistically how many times a year do you take those trips?

If you are a desert crossing, mud slinging, ice tramping rugged outdoorsy type then an EV is likely not for you, but then very few BMWs are for that matter.
      03-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #34
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Quote:

Blackberry was a sacrifice to own back in the day due to carrier restrictions, iPhone was a sacrifice to own due to the locked ecosystem, Tesla was a sacrifice to own due to the charging infrastructure...yet all of those examples are flourishing (except for Blackberry who rested on their laurels and went bust). Point is that early adopters are the ones who drive most industries forward.

You say that you can't understand why people want to "die fighting on this hill". I can't understand why people like yourself keep harping on about the looks of the car in the same breath as the apparently terrible efficiency. I switched to EV fairly recently after a lifetime of owning V8s (Mercedes, BMW, VW) and the switch has not hindered my lifestyle at all. It's a slight mindset change, that's all. Many EV evangelists will say "it's so great you get to take things a bit slower and spend quality time with your family on longer drives". In truth I have not been in a situation where trips have taken any longer than they would've in my X5 (I accept that this does depends on the charging infrastructure in your country).

Fact is that most people drive much less than 100 miles a day, so even then the average EV will do just fine. Many, like yourself, get hung up on these epic road trips you have in your mind, but realistically how many times a year do you take those trips?

If you are a desert crossing, mud slinging, ice tramping rugged outdoorsy type then an EV is likely not for you, but then very few BMWs are for that matter.
Yeah see you say all that and tie it up in a bow to prove my point. For ME, it doesn't work. I didn't say no one should buy them. And i also can't understand why people get so mad that people think they're ugly. They're ugly cars lol I hate to break it to you after you may have spent too much on it but they're not good looking cars at all.

Either way that's my opinion and it shouldn't upset you as much as it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #35
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah see you say all that and tie it up in a bow to prove my point. For ME, it doesn't work. I didn't say no one should buy them. And i also can't understand why people get so mad that people think they're ugly. They're ugly cars lol I hate to break it to you after you may have spent too much on it but they're not good looking cars at all.

Oh you misunderstand, it does not upset me at all. I just enjoy a robust debate. And yes, I thought the iX was ugly when I first saw the press photos but then I saw one in the flesh and my opinion changed. Personally I think the new Lexus LX600 is the most hideous car on the road, but again, just my opinion. Likewise, the X7 and RR Cullinan rank right up there with ugly cars but I don't go out of my way to participate on those sub-forums since I have no intention of owning either of those cars :P
      03-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #36
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Quote:

Oh you misunderstand, it does not upset me at all. I just enjoy a robust debate. And yes, I thought the iX was ugly when I first saw the press photos but then I saw one in the flesh and my opinion changed. Personally I think the new Lexus LX600 is the most hideous car on the road, but again, just my opinion. Likewise, the X7 and RR Cullinan rank right up there with ugly cars but I don't go out of my way to participate on those sub-forums since I have no intention of owning either of those cars :P
I hear you. To each their own I guess!
Appreciate 1
hugo_nz3165.50
      03-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #37
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For ME, it doesn't work. I didn't say no one should buy them.
Well, but you said this:
Quote:
We're at this point where car manufactures are cranking out unfinished products to appease the masses when it's just a waste of money, productivity and resources.
You are effectively saying BMW should not have produced these cars in the first place.

Quote:
And i also can't understand why people get so mad that people think they're ugly. They're ugly cars lol I hate to break it to you after you may have spent too much on it but they're not good looking cars at all.
I don't care how other people think about this car.
You can say whatever you want in the general BMW forum.
But expressing your opinion in a dedicated iX forum for iX owners and those interested in the iX is just not a nice thing to do. And it's getting old when we just want more information about the car.

And looks is personal preference.
CarWow had a poll in the video of the iX vs e-tron vs Model X vs EQC drag race for which car's look viewers prefer, iX was voted second behind e-tron, ahead of Model X and EQC.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #38
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
For ME, it doesn't work. I didn't say no one should buy them.
Well, but you said this:
Quote:
We're at this point where car manufactures are cranking out unfinished products to appease the masses when it's just a waste of money, productivity and resources.
You are effectively saying BMW should not have produced these cars in the first place.

Quote:
And i also can't understand why people get so mad that people think they're ugly. They're ugly cars lol I hate to break it to you after you may have spent too much on it but they're not good looking cars at all.
I don't care how other people think about this car.
You can say whatever you want in the general BMW forum.
But expressing your opinion in a dedicated iX forum for iX owners and those interested in the iX is just not a nice thing to do. And it's getting old when we just want more information about the car.

And looks is personal preference.
CarWow had a poll in the video of the iX vs e-tron vs Model X vs EQC drag race for which car's look viewers prefer, iX was voted second behind e-tron, ahead of Model X and EQC.
I mean it's my opinion that they shouldn't because they're unfinished products IMO but if they exist then fine. I'm not saying just bmw EVs are bad I'm just saying in general they aren't up to par for what some need. And for the record I'm replying to a front page thread I wasn't really sure what forum it was a part of.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #39
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
I mean it's my opinion that they shouldn't because they're unfinished products IMO but if they exist then fine. I'm not saying just bmw EVs are bad I'm just saying in general they aren't up to par for what some need. And for the record I'm replying to a front page thread I wasn't really sure what forum it was a part of.
Weird that this forum has news articles that link directly to sub forums so you get people with no interest or understanding in a product chipping in their two cents.

I'm not sure why you think it's an unfinished product. Seemingly because they have heavy batteries? But batteries are heavy and all larger sized higher mileage EV cars are heavy as a result and even a heavy and big car like this is still much better in terms of cost or net emissions per mile than a petrol or diesel powered car, even if you live in a country that uses zero renewable or nuclear power plants.
Appreciate 0