BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #221
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

More foolishness by Huawei. They are on the way to being banned from doing business in many countries.

Huawei executive arrested in Poland on spying charges.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/tech/...est/index.html
Appreciate 1
Law4705.00

01-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #222
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
More foolishness by Huawei. They are on the way to being banned from doing business in many countries.

Huawei executive arrested in Poland on spying charges.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/tech/...est/index.html
Damn. And the plot thickens.....

01-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #223
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

We were going to give him 15 years but if everyone wants to go by the books and local laws then we will apply our local laws too for the death penalty

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1P81E4
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #224
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The Chinese are just getting downright stupid now.

"China issues travel warning for Canada after 'arbitrary detention' of national"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1P90ZV

Look bing bong, the Huawei CFO broke the damn law and is being legally detained. This tit for tat is ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #225
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:

"China issues travel warning for Canada after 'arbitrary detention' of national"

Look bing bong, the Huawei CFO broke the damn law and is being legally detained. Accept it and move on. This tit for tat is ridiculous.
Ive been to China, and have been warning friends about not going to that place ever since. Seriously, it's a dump of epic proportions.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #226
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Look bing bong, the Huawei CFO broke the damn law and is being legally detained. This tit for tat is ridiculous.
China is one of the largest exporters and importers in the world today. From a business perspective point of view China must have its own banking system so that it can not be blackmailed or threatened of whom it can do business with and whom it can’t without facing retaliatory consequences by others. They are working on implementing a new banking system to avoid such issues in the future with Europe,Russia,Asia and middle eastern countries. The majority are on board with this. The real problem behind all this is the new banking system that they want in place and not really these tariffs issues. We saw what happened to Saddam and Gaddafi when they wanted to drop the dollar for oil trade. Now China wants to drop the Dollar and banking via New York for National Security interests and from their point of view they are actually right to do so. There are many Chinese things that they do of which I oppose of but from a national security point of view they are 100% right to do this to protect their freedom of trade rights.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #227
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Ive been to China, and have been warning friends about not going to that place ever since. Seriously, it's a dump of epic proportions.
I have been going there for over 25 years. There is good and bad just like every other country. They have things that are worse and have things that are much better. Really depends on what you wish to compare to.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #228
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Quote:
I have been going there for over 25 years. There is good and bad just like every other country. They have things that are worse and have things that are much better. Really depends on what you wish to compare to.
For me it was cleanliness, courtesy, human rights, animal rights and pollution.

I'm sure there could be some good spots, but my experience was dead last.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #229
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What about their persecution of the Uighers?
      01-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #230
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i

Quote:

Think of the large city life in USA in the early 1900s... it was very polluted, somewhat lawless and people were not nice. Just as the US then, China is in the midst of a industrial revolution. Things will get better once it all stabilizes.
      01-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #231
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
What about their persecution of the Uighers?
Every country has good things and bad things to it. If I was to draw up two
Lists consisting of a negative and positive list the persecution of Uighers would be on the negative and bad list. Humans are humans regardless of race,ethnicity,religion,etc..

What do you think? Do you support the Chinese government’s actions against Uighers?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #232
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Cleanliness can be really bad in some places and can be ok to good in other places but not even close to the cleanliness in Japan Courtesy can also be bad or good but if you speak the local language and go to the right places the courtesy is actually quite good. It is actually better than Hong Kong believe it or not. Human rights issues is not all that great and can be pretty bad if you ask me but if you stay out of basic trouble it is not bad. You can argue there with a police officer in the street and even argue with 10-20 of them and they will not arrest you. In California if you get out of the car to say something or argue you either get arrested or risk being shot. That does not really happen there but start a political protest against the government or President in China and you pretty much lost all your human rights

Pollution in Guangzhou,Beijing and Shanghai are bad. Shenzhen is not too bad. Animal rights can be bad but if you are in any of the bigger main cities and you abuse an animal you will be in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #233
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
China is one of the largest exporters and importers in the world today. From a business perspective point of view China must have its own banking system so that it can not be blackmailed or threatened of whom it can do business with and whom it can’t without facing retaliatory consequences by others. They are working on implementing a new banking system to avoid such issues in the future with Europe,Russia,Asia and middle eastern countries. The majority are on board with this. The real problem behind all this is the new banking system that they want in place and not really these tariffs issues. We saw what happened to Saddam and Gaddafi when they wanted to drop the dollar for oil trade. Now China wants to drop the Dollar and banking via New York for National Security interests and from their point of view they are actually right to do so. There are many Chinese things that they do of which I oppose of but from a national security point of view they are 100% right to do this to protect their freedom of trade rights.
I don't get what the Chinese government using retaliatory detentions of Canadians because of the arrest of Meng and ridiculous travel warnings for those travelling to Canada have to do with anything you just posted.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #234
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...s-5g-networks/

Please no spy on me or my country ir even my continent. In fact please nix all spying please? They are threatoning to kill canadians if canada bans huawei from its networks?!?!?!??? Wtf kind of business are those wackos running???

Ban them outright llease
Appreciate 1
City Pig6102.00

01-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #235
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post

And herein lies the rub. A quote from the linked article:

Security experts worry the Communist Party-led government would ask Huawei to incorporate back doors into its equipment for spying or sabotage. A Chinese law approved in 2017 requires companies to “support, co-operate with, and collaborate in national intelligence work.”

This law alone should draw substantial pause for dealing with any Chinese firm.

Huawei is not the risk. China is the risk. It’s not as if Huawei can do whatever it wants, that it can tell the Chinese government to take a running leap.
Zugzwang1157.00

01-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #236
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
And herein lies the rub. A quote from the linked article:

Security experts worry the Communist Party-led government would ask Huawei to incorporate back doors into its equipment for spying or sabotage. A Chinese law approved in 2017 requires companies to “support, co-operate with, and collaborate in national intelligence work.”

This law alone should draw substantial pause for dealing with any Chinese firm.

Huawei is not the risk. China is the risk. It’s not as if Huawei can do whatever it wants, that it can tell the Chinese government to take a running leap.
I find it odd that Israel allows Huawei products to be sold (the same country that once banned apple products because of a supposed security risk), but yet the U.S has an issue with them. I feel like this has more to do with politics than actual security threats.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #237
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Think of the large city life in USA in the early 1900s... it was very polluted, somewhat lawless and people were not nice. Just as the US then, China is in the midst of a industrial revolution. Things will get better once it all stabilizes.
ok, wake me up in 119 years and ill go back to check it out.
Appreciate 1
Z K1397.00

01-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #238
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

I wonder just how angry the Chinese would be if we all of a sudden decided to revoke her bail conditions and re-arrested her and held her in a jail cell.

I mean, you have to admit you'd like to be a fly on the wall in the room where the Chinese decision makers first learn of this...the apoplectic reaction would be something else.

Either that or they'd decide that maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to let the two Canadians detained for "reasons" live in their own houses under bail conditions just like we are so nicely allowing their exec to do.

But for some reason, they don't get this. Way I see it, tit for tat.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent12390.50
City Pig6102.00
Law4705.00

01-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #239
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I wonder just how angry the Chinese would be if we all of a sudden decided to revoke her bail conditions and re-arrested her and held her in a jail cell.

I mean, you have to admit you'd like to be a fly on the wall in the room where the Chinese decision makers first learn of this...the apoplectic reaction would be something else.

Either that or they'd decide that maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to let the two Canadians detained for "reasons" live in their own houses under bail conditions just like we are so nicely allowing their exec to do.

But for some reason, they don't get this. Way I see it, tit for tat.
I get it, but I don't think China will play the game you hope for, plus they have a lot more power in this game as they know we value human rights and freedoms to much to get down in the mud with them. They clearly have no problem playing that game.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr4656.50
Law4705.00

01-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #240
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I get it, but I don't think China will play the game you hope for, plus they have a lot more power in this game as they know we value human rights and freedoms to much to get down in the mud with them. They clearly have no problem playing that game.
Do you get the sense that they are frantic / really nervous about this CFO being questioned? Does she have some sort of secrets they are worried will be exposed?

It just seems to be blown out of proportion in relation to what happened.
Appreciate 2
Law4705.00

01-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #241
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Do you get the sense that they are frantic / really nervous about this CFO being questioned? Does she have some sort of secrets they are worried will be exposed?

It just seems to be blown out of proportion in relation to what happened.
Interesting points. Given China's reputation for spying and reverse engineering western technology that could be a real possibility.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #242
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
People need to keep this behavior in mind the next time you hear some car manufacturer talk about how they're changing their worldwide product offerings to better cater to the Chinese market.