BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #67
fravel
Colonel
fravel's Avatar
United_States
1598
Rep
2,456
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
If you read the reports of how this went down they did profile the kid.
I have, and I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment, hence our discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Don't pretend to know me lol, I'm simply calling out something as I see it
You're right, I don't know you, but I also haven't claimed anything that isn't obvious from reading your posts. I'm simply calling out something as I see it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #68
///WORK-F36
Captain
///WORK-F36's Avatar
United_States
272
Rep
823
Posts

Drives: Glacier silver F36
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I have, and I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment, hence our discussion.



You're right, I don't know you, but I also haven't claimed anything that isn't obvious from reading your posts. I'm simply calling out something as I see it.
So if I believe this kid was profiled simply for being muslim, or dark skinned, that means I have white guilt? Bit of a stretch there....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #69
fravel
Colonel
fravel's Avatar
United_States
1598
Rep
2,456
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

No no no, you're getting your cause and effect backward.

I believe you have white guilt, I'm not going to guess as to how or why you feel that way, but I will say that it manifests itself in this instance by the fact that you buy Ahmed's story hook-line-and-sinker and refuse to consider any other possibilities.

For me though, the real evidence is in the fact that since I posited my theory you have completely ignored any of my points relating to the topic at hand and focused all your attention on clearing your name. It's almost as if you have a guilty conscience. (Pun intended)
__________________

Last edited by fravel; 09-22-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #70
///WORK-F36
Captain
///WORK-F36's Avatar
United_States
272
Rep
823
Posts

Drives: Glacier silver F36
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
No no no, you're getting your cause and effect backward.

I believe you have white guilt, it manifests itself in this instance by the fact that you buy Ahmed's story hook-line-and-sinker and refuse to consider any other possibilities.

For me though, the real evidence is in the fact that since I posited my theory you have completely ignored any of my points relating to the topic at hand and focused all your attention on clearing your name. It's almost as if you have a guilty conscience. (Pun intended)
Ahmed's story? I'm going off what the teachers and cops said. What point would you like me to address?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #71
fravel
Colonel
fravel's Avatar
United_States
1598
Rep
2,456
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Ahmed's story? I'm going off what the teachers and cops said. What point would you like me to address?
Asked in regards to Ahmed being arrested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Why is this such a big deal? He wasn't charged with anything - so he had to wear some handcuffs for a few minutes, big deal.
Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
This says a few things to me:
#1. You believe this kid was a victim of some sort of profiling
#2. You believe the authorities in this situation had ulterior motives (ie, their goal wasn't to just keep the rest of the school safe.)

Why do you feel that way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
If you read the reports of how this went down they did profile the kid.
This isn't an answer, it's a deflection. Do you agree or disagree with statements #1 and #2? Why or Why not? I ask because I have read the reports and I haven't been able to come to the same conclusion just yet - I'm not ruling it out as a possibility, but right now my gut says there's more to this story.

In regards to "Ahmed's Story"; Ahmed claims the police made statements implying that he had been profiled (as noted by fecurtis in post #63). However, in the same article the police are quoted as saying that the situation would have been handled the same way regardless. Why is Ahmed's version the one you choose to believe?

Last but not least, there's quite a bit of credible evidence stacking up pointing to the idea that this was a manufactured outrage, meaning Ahmed went into this situation with the intention of causing as much ruckus about a non-event as possible, had planned out the publicizing of it and was poised to cry foul at the slightest offense - again, not sure that this is the truth either, but it does have some plausibility. Do you agree or not?
__________________

Last edited by fravel; 09-22-2015 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot one
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #72
///WORK-F36
Captain
///WORK-F36's Avatar
United_States
272
Rep
823
Posts

Drives: Glacier silver F36
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Asked in regards to Ahmed being arrested:


Also,




This isn't an answer, it's a deflection. Do you agree or disagree with statements #1 and #2? Why or Why not? I ask because I have read the reports and I haven't been able to come to the same conclusion just yet - I'm not ruling it out as a possibility, but right now my gut says there's more to this story.

Lastly, Ahmed claims the police made statements implying that he had been profiled (as noted by fecurtis in post #63). However, in the same article the police are quoted as saying that the situation would have been handled the same way regardless. Why is Ahmed's version the one you choose to believe?
It's not a big deal to be arrested? Would you feel this wasn't a big deal if it was your child?

From the cops statements, as well as them KNOWING it was not a bomb, and KNOWING he never claimed it be anything other than a clock, yet arresting him anyways is why I believe the cops acted inappropriately and that profiling played a huge role

So you feel it's totally appropriate for poilce to arrest a 14 year old when the knew it wasn't a bomb, and they knew he never claimed it was?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #73
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
711
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

First, I want to point out that we are talking about a 14 year old child, not a 24 year old man or woman. Whatever actions the boy took or views the rest of us who weren't there want to promote have to considered within that context. I have a hard time accepting the level of grandiose, malfeasant conniving that some folks have ascribed to the boy were ever in play. Kids can be treacherous and whatnot, but going to that level with the deliberate intent of meeting the President and gaining admittance to MIT.

I think the English teacher is probably ignorant about bombs and what they look like. That doesn't surprise me; I also don't know what the guts of a digital clock look like. I think the cops associated with the situation are just plain stupid.

The boy told them it was a clock; there was nothing else to say after that. It was a clock! I don't know what those cops know or don't, but I bet they know what a clock is. There's no need to ask why someone is toting around a clock.

I too wouldn't cotton well to being given the third degree about a goddamned clock. They know what an effing clock is, and they know what incendiary material and explosive material is and looks like. The clearly didn't find either, so what else was there to say?

Irving's police chief stated in a press conference that they have determined the boy built a "hoax bomb." That is just pure idiocy. The boy did nothing of the sort. He disassembled a clock and installed it in a an attache case. The "device" began it's life as a clock and never ceased to be merely and solely that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I believe in background checks and psychological evals just to make sure you are not fucking crazy.
Would you be keen on them as a prerequisite to buying a gun? Most gun advocates sure seem to have issues with rigorous background checks for exactly that purpose and prior to allowing folks to buy firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Most people that lose arguments don't wanna particulate anymore
Well, there are also folks who realize they are trying to have a rational discussion with someone (others) who have no idea what rational thought is, much less use any to form an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
...Why take the cover off a cheap clock and do the wiring and such to go in a case? ....
The guy's a kid. Why do kids, even young adults and sometimes not so young adults, do most of what they do? God and they are the only ones who know. Do you have kids? Have they not done any number of things that have made you wonder, "Why the hell did you do that?"

The kid seems to have some semblance of being smart. I'd wager he presumes, being a kid and not having reason to think otherwise, that his teachers are at least as bright as he is and they'd recognize a darn clock when they see one.

Why a briefcase? Well, I don't know, but when I was a kid, a briefcase was one of the few sturdy things I'd have had around the house in which I could easily house a "homemade" clock, that would adequately protect the "stuff" inside from routine harm (spilled milk, banging around in the car, etc.), and that I could easily transport. It doesn't seem odd to me that he'd use a case such as the one pictured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
...I still have to ask, of ANY parent here, would you let your son or daughter take the case to school???
I let them my kid take a hard-sided case to school. Although different in shape, my daughter took a similar hard case to school. It housed her camera and related gear. I recall seeing other similar cases when some of my kids' friends performed in a musical event. I doubt my daughter would convert a camera case into a clock, but if she were into tinkering the way Master Mohamed is, I wouldn't put it beyond her to have done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Where this country is at, I'm sure many parents are awaiting the outcome of this, cough, families lawsuit.

...
Well, now, that's the thing, isn't it? Just where are we as a culture? Think about that. Many people are living in the delusional state of mind that believes Osama Bin Laden and other terrorists haven't achieved their goals. No, they've not achieved all of them, but they have fundamentally changed our way of life.

Think back to the 1970s and consider how a kid like Master Mohamed would have been received at school, by both teachers and classmates, were s/he to have brought that "homemade" clock in, "show and tell" day or not. Everyone would have thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread; they'd have all wanted to see it.

I can recall (vaguely) several times when teachers, other than science teachers, took a few minutes to let one of us show off and share some "gizmo" to the rest of the class simply because it was nifty. No, they weren't Earth shattering inventions, but they showed glimmers of ingenuity, and the teachers wanted to encourage and support sparks of that nature whenever and wherever they appeared.

After giving the student their "five minutes of fame in the classroom," the teacher would firmly state something to the effect of "Okay. Now put that away and keep it there until the end of class. We have to get back to...." I would think that similar events occurred in classrooms all across America.

Look at us now. We are a nation so wracked with fear of what might be, that we call in police to interrogate a child (I don't know if the boy's parents were even present before the cops' questioning began) on suspicion of his having built and brought to school a bomb. We are a nation that sees potential terrorists and wackos when we look at somewhat gifted children. Really? That's what we've become and are trying so hard to protect?

Another member asked would a parent let a child take a case like that to school. I said I have and would. The more relevant question in my mind is, "Would you let your child get hold of explosive material?" I would not, and at 14, I had enough interaction with my child to know whether or not they did or could possibly have done,. And I can say that even though I was a parent who (comparatively) rarely saw his children because they were in boarding school, and I was often nowhere near the school. So I know damn well that any parent of a 14 year old who goes to and from school each day would know damn well their kid hasn't procured explosive material that he could detonate in an attache with a disassembled clock as a timer.

Some folks have averred that Master Mohamed's experiences were racially motivated. I don't view as being so. I view it as the result of an increasingly terrified populace, supposedly being protected by a constabulary that is no brighter and comprised of equally terrified employees, all of whom are more given to tilting at windmills than to preserving our freedoms. Imagine how this might have gone down were the incident to have occurred on a college campus, and the person involved was of legal age? That poor boy was treated (by the accounts I've read) as though he had to prove his innocence, not as though he was presumed innocent. I'm sorry, but that's not the United States I am proud of.

Master Mohamed's case isn't the first such knee jerk instance of people in U.S. responding irrationally toward children and their puerile behavior:
So, no, racism has nothing to do with what's gone on with Ahmed Mohamed. It's stupidity. If there's any connection with racism in this story, it's that stupidity and racism are often found in the same places and that stupidity can enable racism and it is without question the cause of irrational fear.



All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-23-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #74
bbbbmw
Major General
2376
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Did everyone in this thread miss the second post? The kid's father is a MUSLIM ACTIVIST. The guy is high up in a Sudanese Muslim political party, and part of CAIR in the US. When interviewed, the kid said he was afraid to take it to school, because people might think it's a bomb. This entire thing is a set up.

Edit: the father has run for President in Sudan twice, and currently is trying to get the US terrorism embargo of Sudan lifted.

Btw - the only think missing to make it a bomb is an explosive agent.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #75
Delta0311
Banned
7378
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Did everyone in this thread miss the second post? The kid's father is a MUSLIM ACTIVIST. The guy is high up in a Sudanese Muslim political party, and part of CAIR in the US. When interviewed, the kid said he was afraid to take it to school, because people might think it's a bomb. This entire thing is a set up.

Edit: the father has run for President in Sudan twice, and currently is trying to get the US terrorism embargo of Sudan lifted.

Btw - the only think missing to make it a bomb is an explosive agent.
So daddy needed a shameless promotion. In the end he got a play date with the president. Well played.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #76
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
711
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Did everyone in this thread miss the second post? The kid's father is a MUSLIM ACTIVIST. The guy is high up in a Sudanese Muslim political party, and part of CAIR in the US. When interviewed, the kid said he was afraid to take it to school, because people might think it's a bomb. This entire thing is a set up.

Edit: the father has run for President in Sudan twice, and currently is trying to get the US terrorism embargo of Sudan lifted.

Btw - the only think missing to make it a bomb is an explosive agent.
What? You've got to be kidding! Do you just always and only see/hear little snippets of information and let whatever ignorant, inflammatory BS that first comes to you mind come rolling off your tongue or tapping through your keyboard?
Has it occurred to you that given how long Mr. Elhassan has been in U.S. and that he wants to be Sudan's president, he may want to a force for positive change in that country?
Knee jerks BS like what you wrote above smacks far more closely to racism than any of the actual events and circumstances surrounding the boy and his clock.


Red:
I would bet that that it wouldn't take all that close an examination of your personal effects for someone to say exactly the same things about you. Surely you have a clock and a box or case of some sort in your house. It wouldn't surprise me if you have fertilizer in your greenhouse. God help us if, like Timothy McVeigh, you also have diesel fuel. You might be one of those radical, born-again evangelicals intending to bomb an abortion clinic.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #77
bbbbmw
Major General
2376
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Wow - my post did some good - it curtailed your typical pages of bloviation, using your voice-to-text software!

I disagree about it being a knee-jerk, much less raaaacist...

This past January, Muslims at a mosque in Irving set up their own Sharia Law court - the first in the US. In February, the Mayor of Irving and the City Council passed a law that no foreign laws would be given merit (they didn't mention Sharia, but it's included, of course). The Muslim community was very upset, and claimed persecution.

Now we have this story coming from a Muslim activist in the same city.

And again, the kid knew it was going to create a problem before he ever took it to school. And, it doesn't appear he made the clock - it's a 1980's era digital alarm clock that he disassembled - made by Micronta (see the logo stamp) - and stuffed in a pencil box.

But thanks for your knee-jerk - it's just what the kid's dad was counting on.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #78
bbbbmw
Major General
2376
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Did everyone in this thread miss the second post? The kid's father is a MUSLIM ACTIVIST. The guy is high up in a Sudanese Muslim political party, and part of CAIR in the US. When interviewed, the kid said he was afraid to take it to school, because people might think it's a bomb. This entire thing is a set up.

Edit: the father has run for President in Sudan twice, and currently is trying to get the US terrorism embargo of Sudan lifted.

Btw - the only think missing to make it a bomb is an explosive agent.
So daddy needed a shameless promotion. In the end he got a play date with the president. Well played.
And his LaunchGood account (GoFundMe for Muslims) that now has over $14k in it
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:23 AM   #79
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
711
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Wow - my post did some good - it curtailed your typical pages of bloviation, using your voice-to-text software!

...
How did you come to know/think I use V2T software to write posts? Did I mention that publicly here? I don't recall having done so, but maybe I did.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-23-2015 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:25 AM   #80
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
711
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
...

This past January, Muslims at a mosque in Irving set up their own Sharia Law court - the first in the US. In February, the Mayor of Irving and the City Council passed a law that no foreign laws would be given merit (they didn't mention Sharia, but it's included, of course). The Muslim community was very upset, and claimed persecution.

...
Now tell us what specifically Mr. Elhassan's role in that was, please, or what any of that has to do with him other than his being a Muslim who lives in Irving, TX.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #81
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
7847
Rep
13,384
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Circuit board...added, not part of a clock and of no use.
Ribbon cables...added, not part of a clock and of no use.

But, but, but.
__________________
Crazy Diamond

Last edited by gonzo; 09-23-2015 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #82
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1990
Rep
8,340
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

I hate white guilt. Stupidest thing ever. I'm color blind. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop having common sense. There's nothing wrong with profiling. The majority of incidents involving terrorism in the US and abroad are committed by Muslim male youths. When you have a finite amount of resources to devote to stopping them, why use them on low percentage groups to be PC. It lowers your effectiveness. Feel like you're being harrassed? Too bad. If you didn't do anything you walk. If it stops 1 additional innocent person from dying it's worth the harassment of thousands. Most countries do profiling. It's how Israel has been so successful. Profiling has gotten a bad wrap from the left to garner votes from minorities. But that's ignorance because many times the victims are minorities so they are slitting their own throats. Minorities claim it's unfair there is a higher percentage of minorities in jail. If the US was culturally and economically homogeneous like for example cuba, this would be a valid complaint. However it's not. Different minority groups have majorities of different cultural backgrounds and economic levels. Crime is more prevalent in these groups Hensel the higher arrest rates. Sorry, but the law is color blind to. If there are instances where it isnt, those should be prosecuted.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #83
fravel
Colonel
fravel's Avatar
United_States
1598
Rep
2,456
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
It's not a big deal to be arrested? Would you feel this wasn't a big deal if it was your child?

From the cops statements, as well as them KNOWING it was not a bomb, and KNOWING he never claimed it be anything other than a clock, yet arresting him anyways is why I believe the cops acted inappropriately and that profiling played a huge role

So you feel it's totally appropriate for poilce to arrest a 14 year old when the knew it wasn't a bomb, and they knew he never claimed it was?
No, I really don't. Did I miss somewhere that the kid was mistreated? I'm sure he was uncomfortable for a little bit, and maybe even scared about what *might* happen to him, but he wasn't hurt, he wasn't charged with anything - at the end of the day the cops made the right choice and sent him home to his family.

Personally, I wouldn't have let my kid take something to school that could have been confused for a bomb. It only took one glance at the item in question for me to understand where the confusion came from.

Let's run a hypothetical - if you were going to use a bomb in a public space and got caught right before it all went down, would you tell the cops? There was a bomb concern in the school - real or not, the cops secured the person in question, took him to neutral ground to sort it out, then let him go when they were sure it was all just a mistake. I don't see the issue.

RE: "But why didn't they evacuate the school!?!" A school evacuation is as quick and easy as a fire drill. If they confirmed the presence of a real bomb evacuating the school would have been trivial. Meanwhile, considering the shitstorm the cops have received for NOT charging the kid with any wrongdoing, can you imagine the headlines if they had actually evacuated the school? Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
First, I want to point out that we are talking about a 14 year old child, not a 24 year old man or woman. Whatever actions the boy took or views the rest of us who weren't there want to promote have to considered within that context. I have a hard time accepting the level of grandiose, malfeasant conniving that some folks have ascribed to the boy were ever in play.
You've forgotten about balloon boy, haven't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax

Kids maybe, but I wouldn't put it past his parents. The more I read about it the more I'm convinced it was a ploy to get their 15 min. of fame. I don't think they could have possibly known the full extent of what would happen, but I do think they manipulated the situation to get attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
So why didn't any of these kids get White House invites or thousands of dollars in donations? Surely the kid who wrote the story deserves a Pulitzer or something now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
How did you come to know/think I use V2T software to write posts? Did I mention that publicly here? I don't recall having done so, but maybe I did.
You have.
__________________

Last edited by fravel; 09-23-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #84
bbbbmw
Major General
2376
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
It's not a big deal to be arrested? Would you feel this wasn't a big deal if it was your child?

From the cops statements, as well as them KNOWING it was not a bomb, and KNOWING he never claimed it be anything other than a clock, yet arresting him anyways is why I believe the cops acted inappropriately and that profiling played a huge role

So you feel it's totally appropriate for poilce to arrest a 14 year old when the knew it wasn't a bomb, and they knew he never claimed it was?
No, I really don't. Did I miss somewhere that the kid was mistreated? I'm sure he was uncomfortable for a little bit, and maybe even scared about what *might* happen to him, but he wasn't hurt, he wasn't charged with anything - at the end of the day the cops made the right choice and sent him home to his family.

Personally, I wouldn't have let my kid take something to school that could have been confused for a bomb. It only took one glance at the item in question for me to understand where the confusion came from.

Let's run a hypothetical - if you were going to use a bomb in a public space and got caught right before it all went down, would you tell the cops? There was a bomb concern in the school - real or not, the cops secured the person in question, took him to neutral ground to sort it out, then let him go when they were sure it was all just a mistake. I don't see the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
First, I want to point out that we are talking about a 14 year old child, not a 24 year old man or woman. Whatever actions the boy took or views the rest of us who weren't there want to promote have to considered within that context. I have a hard time accepting the level of grandiose, malfeasant conniving that some folks have ascribed to the boy were ever in play.
You've forgotten about balloon boy, haven't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax

Kids maybe, but I wouldn't put it past his parents. The more I read about it the more I'm convinced it was a ploy to get their 15 min. of fame. I don't think they could have possibly known the full extent of what would happen, but I do think they manipulated the situation to get attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
How did you come to know/think I use V2T software to write posts? Did I mention that publicly here? I don't recall having done so, but maybe I did.
You have.
And to add to this, the police were unsure there wasn't an explosive hidden somewhere on the school grounds. So in order to keep everyone safe, they cuffed the kid and conducted a search. If my kid went to that school I would applaud the police.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #85
bbbbmw
Major General
2376
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
...

This past January, Muslims at a mosque in Irving set up their own Sharia Law court - the first in the US. In February, the Mayor of Irving and the City Council passed a law that no foreign laws would be given merit (they didn't mention Sharia, but it's included, of course). The Muslim community was very upset, and claimed persecution.

...
Now tell us what specifically Mr. Elhassan's role in that was, please, or what any of that has to do with him other than his being a Muslim who lives in Irving, TX.
He's the leader (president) of the al Sufi mosque in Irving TX. Dude - what does it take? Pull your head out and look around.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #86
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
7847
Rep
13,384
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

I just read this and the rampant and trendy knee jerk movement is alive and kicking. Embarrassing. But you'll never hear any apologizing.

http://feeds.nydailynews.com/~r/Nydn...icle-1.2371026
__________________
Crazy Diamond

Last edited by gonzo; 09-23-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #87
Delta0311
Banned
7378
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
He's the leader (president) of the al Sufi mosque in Irving TX. Dude - what does it take? Pull your head out and look around.
Story always goes the same way.. They (highly religious but not at ISIS level Muslims) want to come to the West because they are persecuted in their natives countries. They arrive here and immediately want to impose the same style of governance that they just escaped from..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #88
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
711
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

The two of you need something that's going to help you figure out that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can expect to hold any credibility by putting everyone into tidy little boxes with labels on them. There's just no sense to that way of thinking. Both of you are leaping to conclusions and there is nothing militating for doing so.

Presumably you are Christians. If there were an abortion clinic bombing in your city, using your approach to reasoning, I should thus assume you had something to do with it simply because you live in that city too? If, furthermore, you have a leadership position in your church, I should be all the more convinced you had something to do with it. If in addition, if you happen to be a Catholic Christian, I guess I should infer further that the Pope supported the bombing.

Clearly that's not what I would think, not because I know a damn thing about either of you beyond what you've written on B-post, but rather because I have better sense than to leap to conclusions on the basis of thin, circumstantial correlations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
...
Master Mohamed's case isn't the first such knee jerk instance of people in U.S. responding irrationally toward children and their puerile behavior:
So, no, racism has nothing to do with what's gone on with Ahmed Mohamed. It's stupidity. If there's any connection with racism in this story, it's that stupidity and racism are often found in the same places and that stupidity can enable racism and it is without question the cause of irrational fear.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
...You've forgotten about balloon boy, haven't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax

Kids maybe, but I wouldn't put it past his parents. The more I read about it the more I'm convinced it was a ploy to get their 15 min. of fame. I don't think they could have possibly known the full extent of what would happen, but I do think they manipulated the situation to get attention.

...
So why didn't any of these kids get White House invites or thousands of dollars in donations? Surely the kid who wrote the story deserves a Pulitzer or something now, right?

You have.
Red:
I haven't forgotten. I'm merely able to see the circumstances are radically different from square one. There's nothing that's even remotely typical about a 6 year-old being associated with a weather balloon, much less carried off by one.

Blue:
Wait a minute.

Are you seriously telling us that what you find disturbing enough to highlight out of all those examples, including Master Mohamed's, is whether or not any of those kids got WH invitations or donations?

The kid has generated ~$15K in crowd funding. Did those other kids/families set up crowd funding? Did they not receive private donations? I don't know. What I do know is that the crowd funding Master Mohamed has received is a publicly communicated thing. If you want someone to blame, for that, blame the people who have given to the crowd funding campaign, although it is the donor's money to give.

I don't see why you or I should have anything to say about people giving charity donations to the boy. Are you the donors' money manager or financial guardian? If you don't want to give the kid money, don't. I don't and won't. But don't complain because other people have; don't deride the kid or his family because others have. Whether they did or did not donate to Master Mohamed has zero affect on you; it has nothing to do with you.

At least the boy had something to gripe about. You're just bitching and moaning and have nothing to do with the situation, the boy, the money, the White House, Facebook, Google, etc. Give me a few minutes; I'll try to find you another windmill at which you can tilt.

However tangentially connected with an academic pursuit be Master Mohamed's clock, it's certainly more scholarly than is chewing a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun, wearing a purchased t-shirt, folding one's fingers to make a finger gun,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
And to add to this, the police were unsure there wasn't an explosive hidden somewhere on the school grounds. So in order to keep everyone safe, they cuffed the kid and conducted a search. If my kid went to that school I would applaud the police.
Red:


Why stop at the school grounds? Why not check the whole city for hidden bombs? I bet they weren't sure if there was or was not a bomb lurking in a culvert or in a manhole somewhere either. The kid's Muslim. Did the police check to make sure he hadn't crafted a bio or chemical weapon and stored it in the school's biology or chemistry labs?

Blue:
Based on the stuff I've seen you write, I do believe you would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
He's the leader (president) of the al Sufi mosque in Irving TX. Dude - what does it take? Pull your head out and look around.
Red:
I did look around, but I don't appreciate you insisting I do so merely because you haven't. "What does it take?", you asked. It takes doing more than listening to inflammatory jerks like Glen Beck and Beth Van Duyne. If you were to look at the website of the Islamic Tribunal (IT) in Irving, TX, you'd see that Mr. Elhassan isn't a part of it. You'd also find that the IT is not a Sharia Court at all.
Some media speculation has led members of the local community to wonder if the Islamic Center of Irving is facilitating “Shariah Courts” at the Mosque. The management of the Islamic Center of Irving categorically declares that no such court operates on the center’s premises. No other mosque in the area operates such courts. However, the Islamic Tribunal that operates in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, independent of the mosques.
(http://www.islamictribunal.org/)
Dude....How dare you make such vulgar insinuations and behests of me! (or anyone else) You, who have no discernible measure of circumspection with regard to anything you don't encounter from whatever reactionary sources feed their slander your way, have not the shakiest footing from which to suggest my head is stuck up my ass. You made zero effort to confirm whether the calumny you heard/read had anything more than the most oblique, circumstantial possibility of holding water. One minute's worth of checking would have shown you the IT and Mr. Elhassan have no apparent or verifiable connection other than that they both are Muslim.

Sincerely yours.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST