BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Death Magnetic

Metallica's 2008 album to be realease in september 08. the band used to be the shit when it comes to heavy metal and rock, they took a dip and their art became a tad debatable around St. Anger (imho). the dip arguable started with black album in 1991 in terms of albums while they continued to put out awesome concerts. (dont get me wrong i think black album is brilliant, and i find it hard to hate Load... but most of whatevers after is plain crap)

after replacing the longest temporary bassist jason newsted with trujillo they are supposedly restarting the band and going thru everything they had to do back in mid 80's when they had to impress the world with their masterpiece 'Masters of Puppets' album.

i have very very high expectations from them. hoping for something as good as masters of puppets and ...and justice for all. altho im assuming it'll not sound anything like either albums.

metallica has been my favorite band since i heard The Unforgiven by accident back in 1991. I have been trying to stay away from youtubes and little releases. im afraid of being disappointed or having a preset negative idea about the album. i really want to give them a chance. last chance. although i did hear the new album's (Death Magnetic) intro which is their version of "Ecstasy of Gold"

any thoughts? expectations? care, no care??

..... im sure RickC has something to say about this hahah
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
solefald's Avatar
Vatican City State
237
Rep
2,180
Posts

Drives: '11 F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
people still listen to that shit? bleh

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, i grew up listening to metal. real metal. but metallica is nothing but a bunch of fucking sellouts. to me they ceased to exist in mid-90's
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
harsh words, i assume you're talking about Napster?

in any case, metallica is not a charity organization after all. so i have no idea what they "sold" lol

but i agree their art kinda took a #2 for a while... so ur saying u couldnt give a pink baboon's arse what they come up with?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Rick
Stackin' Chips
Rick's Avatar
No_Country
134
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post

..... im sure RickC has something to say about this hahah
You guessed it! I too love Metallica and am excited about the release of Death Magnetic. I agree with you about Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All. They were no doubt the 2 best albums Metallica produced. Although I like them (not as much as the real, old skool Metallica) songs like "The Unforgiven," and "Enter Sandman," and "Sad but True," were Metallica's attempt to sound more mainstream/commercial due to the hot Grunge scene that was emerging out of Seattle at the the time.. you know bands like Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, STP, etc etc..

Same thing happened to Megadeth.. "Peace Sells.. but Who's Buying?" and "Rust In Peace" were their best albums before a decline.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i guess they all run out of material at some point...


i just wanted to mention something kinda funny.... Metallica has produced awesome records when they were drunk/high mostly. Every song they earned prizes for they wrote when they were wasted. Enter Sandmand was written at 3 am when kirk was piss drunk.

later Metallica took their drug/alcohol too serious (the whole James Hetfield) incident. Hetfield had to go to rehab, and metallica just took a shit there. they were horrible IMHO.

now supposedly metallica is drug/alcohol free (almost)... im interested to see how that turns out lol

with all that being said, even when metallica as a band took shit Kirk Hammett was still glowing and coming up with top notch solos and instrumentals along with Lars Ulrich... we'll see how they do it as a band..

thanks for your feedback Rick... i just placed the pre-order on amazon
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
206
Rep
2,988
Posts

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

like you said i like the old stuff, wont even give the new album a chance. sorry.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
26
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 702

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to lvwirelessguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
Metallica's 2008 album to be realease in september 08. the band used to be the shit when it comes to heavy metal and rock, they took a dip and their art became a tad debatable around St. Anger (imho). the dip arguable started with black album in 1991 in terms of albums while they continued to put out awesome concerts. (dont get me wrong i think black album is brilliant, and i find it hard to hate Load... but most of whatevers after is plain crap)

after replacing the longest temporary bassist jason newsted with trujillo they are supposedly restarting the band and going thru everything they had to do back in mid 80's when they had to impress the world with their masterpiece 'Masters of Puppets' album.

i have very very high expectations from them. hoping for something as good as masters of puppets and ...and justice for all. altho im assuming it'll not sound anything like either albums.

metallica has been my favorite band since i heard The Unforgiven by accident back in 1991. I have been trying to stay away from youtubes and little releases. im afraid of being disappointed or having a preset negative idea about the album. i really want to give them a chance. last chance. although i did hear the new album's (Death Magnetic) intro which is their version of "Ecstasy of Gold"

any thoughts? expectations? care, no care??

..... im sure RickC has something to say about this hahah
I think you meant St. Awful
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
86
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
people still listen to that shit? bleh

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, i grew up listening to metal. real metal. but metallica is nothing but a bunch of fucking sellouts. to me they ceased to exist in mid-90's
Lars is such a little bitch. Maybe it's because he's been playing the drums for so long and he's still not and will never be considered a GREAT drummer.

I'm not really all that excited for the album, I'm more anticapting what it's going to sound like. Rick Rubin is a step in the right direction, but we'll see.

Metallica is a bunch of pre-Madonna's. Continual delays and push-backs. They're on the verge of becoming Axl Rose.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
86
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
You guessed it! I too love Metallica and am excited about the release of Death Magnetic. I agree with you about Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All. They were no doubt the 2 best albums Metallica produced. Although I like them (not as much as the real, old skool Metallica) songs like "The Unforgiven," and "Enter Sandman," and "Sad but True," were Metallica's attempt to sound more mainstream/commercial due to the hot Grunge scene that was emerging out of Seattle at the the time.. you know bands like Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, STP, etc etc..

Same thing happened to Megadeth.. "Peace Sells.. but Who's Buying?" and "Rust In Peace" were their best albums before a decline.
The grunge scene was the last great thing to happen to the music industry. In terms of true artists. The emotion you hear out of Layne and Kurt is mind blowing. Layne has one of the greatest voices to ever be heard in rock....EVER.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
5,124
Posts

Drives: None
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Lars is such a little bitch. Maybe it's because he's been playing the drums for so long and he's still not and will never be considered a GREAT drummer.

I'm not really all that excited for the album, I'm more anticapting what it's going to sound like. Rick Rubin is a step in the right direction, but we'll see.

Metallica is a bunch of pre-Madonna's. Continual delays and push-backs. They're on the verge of becoming Axl Rose.
Lars was a tennis player...that should explain something
He is definitely a little bitch, but I disagree about him not being a great drummer. S&M was amazing altogether, but some of the drum rhythms were unbelievable. I'd definitely put him in the Top 10 for contemporary bands(with some of the best being Carter Beauford from DMB or Danny Carey from Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
like you said i like the old stuff, wont even give the new album a chance. sorry.
i'll definitely give it a shot...but after st. anger, i am not going to set my hopes too high. the comment about the sobreity is very true. just like ozzy osbourne, they took a big creativity hit once they were off the juice.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
lars ulrich has always been within the top 100 of top 100 lists. saying he's not a great drummer reflects that you're only angry with him at napster, but have no idea what he's played in the past.

over 2 years of effort to start all over again after succeeding so much, then failing so much definitely deserves respect IMO. other bands would have just called it a day and became history
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Rick
Stackin' Chips
Rick's Avatar
No_Country
134
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (2)

There are a lot of good drummers out there and I would say Lars is up there on the list. As far as his fight against Napster, I agree with it. I would be furious if my music was available to DL for free... he may be a bitch in some ways but he's still a great musician.

I can't believe Lars and James Hetfield met through a classified ad in The Recycler Newspaper
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i wish Lars and James would let Kirk Hammett release his solos/instrumental tracks. he's too weak sauce to fight them both. those can be fucking good. im tired of Joe Satriani, i can use some kirk haha

yah they were the only 2 posting for weeks, so they met up. Lars' gf is hot

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
b335i
First Lieutenant
b335i's Avatar
13
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: socal

iTrader: (3)

Big time old school metallica fan, load and st anger were big let downs. Have not been into the metal scene for a while but looking forward to see the direction they have taken their music.

I can say I saw Metallica at the LA Coliseum and still remember it as one of the best concerts I have seen thus far.

You guys saying they are sellouts are ridiculous. If you were producing music and people were stealing it you would complain like little bitches too!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
toofasttooslow's Avatar
45
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: Fast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WA

iTrader: (3)

I'll wait for the torrent. If it's any good I'll buy it; otherwise no. I'm not loyal to a selfish bunch of pricks who don't give a crap about their fans and now play music that can be found on easy listening stations worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
86
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
I'm not saying Lars is a bad drummer, I just don't think he's as great as some people make him out to be. I don't know much about drumming, but I know what I hear and see. He's not top 10 good imo.

I have some friends who are in or have been in bands. I've never heard any of them praise Lars.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6816
Rep
12,776
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Because he is not a great drummer. He is a solid businessman though..

IMO.
1. Neil Pert. RUSH
2. John Bonham. LED ZEPPELIN
3. Keith Moon. THE WHO
4. Danny Carey. TOOL

Attached Images
 
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i think this is Rolling Stones top 10 list.. not sure

1. Neil Peart (Rush)
2. John Bonham* (Led Zeppelin)
3. Carl Palmer (ELP)
4. Keith Moon* (The Who)
5. Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)
6. Ginger Baker (Cream)
7. Hal Blaine (Session man)
8. Danny Carey (Tool)
9. Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson)
10. Earl Palmer (Session man)

in that top 100 list Lars is 100.

fuck lars whatevers lol honestly if it werent for Cliff Burton metallica would have been shit (which they turned into after running out of Cliff's material). u cant deny kirk is the shit tho
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
86
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i think this is Rolling Stones top 10 list.. not sure

1. Neil Peart (Rush)
2. John Bonham* (Led Zeppelin)
3. Carl Palmer (ELP)
4. Keith Moon* (The Who)
5. Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)
6. Ginger Baker (Cream)
7. Hal Blaine (Session man)
8. Danny Carey (Tool)
9. Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson)
10. Earl Palmer (Session man)

in that top 100 list Lars is 100.

fuck lars whatevers lol honestly if it werent for Cliff Burton metallica would have been shit (which they turned into after running out of Cliff's material). u cant deny kirk is the shit tho
Kirk is a very talented guitarist. Pretty cool to watch.

I'm not sure where he ranks, but I've been to a Godsmack show and Shannon Larkin is a damn good drummer. And Sully is actually damn good himself. They always have a drum battle that goes on for at least 7 minutes. I've seen footage of one going on for probably close to 15 minutes or more. They're throwing sticks in the crowd as they play and you don't have a clue how they managed to grab another in time.

I believe they have a few on youtube. I think it's worthy to check out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
dlwhite
First Lieutenant
dlwhite's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2007 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Doesn't that Peart drum kit retail for like 50 grand.
(Guess he's pretty good at the business too! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Because he is not a great drummer. He is a solid businessman though..

IMO.
1. Neil Pert. RUSH
2. John Bonham. LED ZEPPELIN
3. Keith Moon. THE WHO
4. Danny Carey. TOOL

__________________
1987 Black on Black Mitsubishi Starion ESiR
2007 Sparkling Graphite 335xi
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #21
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
622
Rep
46,030
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [2.00]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Guitar World Magazine rating:
01. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)

02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)

03. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)

04. Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)

05. Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)

06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)

07. Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN)

08. Zakk Wylde (OZZY OSBOURNE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)

09. Adam Jones (TOOL)

10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (SLAYER)

11. Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN)

12. Jimi Hendrix

13. Glen Tipton & K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST)

14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)

15. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)

16. Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)

17. Yngwie Malmsteen

18. Joe Perry & Brad Whitford (AEROSMITH)

19. Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman (MEGADETH)

20. Chuck Schuldiner (DEATH)

Rolling Stones:

1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
86
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
Guitar World Magazine rating:
01. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)

02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)

03. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)

04. Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)

05. Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)

06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)

07. Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN)

08. Zakk Wylde (OZZY OSBOURNE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)

09. Adam Jones (TOOL)

10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (SLAYER)

11. Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN)

12. Jimi Hendrix

13. Glen Tipton & K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST)

14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)

15. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)

16. Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)

17. Yngwie Malmsteen

18. Joe Perry & Brad Whitford (AEROSMITH)

19. Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman (MEGADETH)

20. Chuck Schuldiner (DEATH)

Rolling Stones:

1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
I remember that RS list. Still kind of unsure how Kurt Cobain came in. Not to say he wasn't a really good guitar player....but Top 20 of all time?

I've seen another list at some point that had Jerry Cantrell in the top 20.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST