BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #45
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Is "white-face" racist? Are any of the above images of individuals in white-face offensive or done in a derogatory stereotypical fashion?
Appreciate 1
Zugzwang1194.00

09-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #46
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Is "white-face" racist? Are any of the above images of individuals in white-face offensive or done in a derogatory stereotypical fashion?
This is an interesting question. Has white face been used systematically for the same purpose as blackface?

Two items. A cross hanging in the local Catholic Church. A cross, lit on fire, in front of the local black baptist church. Are they the same?

Definitely not. One is a symbol of the sacrifice and love of God to send his only son to die for our sins. The other is a tool of oppression, terror, and fear with the message and threat of severe harm or death.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent12788.50
N54Yankee2003.50

09-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #47
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

It is in those images above. It is done in a derogatory fashion highlighting negative and or perceived stereotypes by someone of a different race under the guise of humor.

We do not have to make the pendulum swing to the complete opposite side before taking action. We as a group can say in general this type of behavior is not acceptable across the board. If it is offensive to depict one race in that fashion then I believe it offensive to any race.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft11988.00

09-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #48
Nuckle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I despise hitting the ignore button on any member of any forum. I rarely post here but read daily. Today I finally had to hit the dreaded button. I could no longer take the idiotic posts from a certain member. Ahhhhhhh feels good. Hope everyone has a great day!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3878.50

09-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #49
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I appreciate what you're saying.

If it's blackface it is.

There is no form that is acceptable. I'm not a dog-whistle person crying racism all the time. I know what is and what isn't racist. There have probably been less than 3 or 4 times that I've called anything outright racist on this platform. Blackface is, without question, a racist tool.
ARR, matey, I have questions fur 'ya

You know I'm trying to better my understanding. I'm going to asks some related questions, maybe you help others as well.

I realize that above definition you posted is CLEARLY racist. But in the original picture, Trudeau doesn't appear to be using the costume/color to be derogatory. Is this racist?

Related, an unmistakably characteristic depiction of certain portions of the Hispanic community comes to mind when one thinks of zoot-suits and/or low riders. I can ALMOST pull off the skin color without mods, but if I have a chain down to my ankles (my daily one is only mid-thigh) and I put on a bandanna pulled down to my dark glasses, and I drop the pirate accent for a bunch of "ota-leh" while mimicking driving my low-rider, am I also guilty of racism? To a fair number of people, the life-style depicted is something to be desired. Not something *I* would aspire to, but also something that evokes recognition if I were to attend a themed party.

If you came by my party, with sleeves cut off on your red-checkered pendelton, a baseball cap, and a Bud in your hands, speaking about your farmin/huntin/fishin. Your hot date comes in her Daisy Dukes with a sprig of grass in her mouth. Is that racist? Does it matter if you modify your skin color on your neck? Again, it's a themed party.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast3878.50
OrcaPod47.00

09-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #50
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

You know I'm trying to better my understanding. I'm going to asks some related questions, maybe you help others as well.

I realize that above definition you posted is CLEARLY racist. But in the original picture, Trudeau doesn't appear to be using the costume/color to be derogatory. Is this racist?

Related, an unmistakably characteristic depiction of certain portions of the Hispanic community comes to mind when one thinks of zoot-suits and/or low riders. I can ALMOST pull off the skin color without mods, but if I have a chain down to my ankles (my daily one is only mid-thigh) and I put on a bandanna pulled down to my dark glasses, and I drop the pirate accent for a bunch of "ota-leh" while mimicking driving my low-rider, am I also guilty of racism? To a fair number of people, the life-style depicted is something to be desired. Not something *I* would aspire to, but also something that evokes recognition if I were to attend a themed party.

If you came by my party, with sleeves cut off on your red-checkered pendelton, a baseball cap, and a Bud in your hands, speaking about your farmin/huntin/fishin. Your hot date comes in her Daisy Dukes with a sprig of grass in her mouth. Is that racist? Does it matter if you modify your skin color on your neck? Again, it's a themed party.
basically, now a days, if it offends one person, whether the intent is to offend or not, its racist.

Unless youre making fun of white people and their stereotypes, then its not racist cuz "you cant be racist to whites"

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3878.50

09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #51
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Just listening to Trudeau’s bantering apology.
The usual buzz words that resonate with his base.

His apology? Sorry I was rich and privileged...but I continue to fight micro aggressions that permeate only conservative ridings...

The liberals set up the usual stardom...only conservatives can be racist.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #52
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
UPDATE:

A photo of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in brownface swept the internet Wednesday night. Then, we got a second photo of the leader in blackface back in high school.

He promised there were no more.

It appears that he lied.

Global News has just shared an exclusive video it obtained showing the prime minister donned in racist makeup yet again. The image is blurry, but you can see Trudeau waving his arms in the air and sticking his tongue out.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/j...ownface-video/

City Pig6130.00

09-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #53
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

Avast me hardy!

Zoot suits were very popular back in the Cab Calloway day...when I see one I think of Cab Calloway and not of hispanics. If I'm not mistaken, everything you described are suits, clothing, a car, or some such affect.

If you want to dress like Aladdin, dress like Aladdin...the blackface isn't necessary. If you want to wear the indigenous clothing of someone from the Lil' Abner cartoon...wear it. (I especially endorse it if the girlfriend is REALLY hot!!)

Wearing Blackface in today's society is akin to showing up at a Bar/Bath mitzvah dressed like Max Mosely in his sex dungeon Nazi uniform. No one would question that as being not only in poor taste but racist and designed to intimidate.

This is the problem that occurs when everything is called racist. I would estimate that 90 to 95 percent of what is called racist actually isn't. This racist/racism noise, be it from someone like Smolett which is damaging in so many ways or from someone saying that all cops are racist, makes people turn a blind eye to actual racism. Blackface is actual racism.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent12788.50
City Pig6130.00

09-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #54
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:

Avast me hardy!

Zoot suits were very popular back in the Cab Calloway day...when I see one I think of Cab Calloway and not of hispanics. If I'm not mistaken, everything you described are suits, clothing, a car, or some such affect.

If you want to dress like Aladdin, dress like Aladdin...the blackface isn't necessary. If you want to wear the indigenous clothing of someone from the Lil' Abner cartoon...wear it. (I especially endorse it if the girlfriend is REALLY hot!!)

Wearing Blackface in today's society is akin to showing up at a Bar/Bath mitzvah dressed like Max Mosely in his sex dungeon Nazi uniform. No one would question that as being not only in poor taste but racist and designed to intimidate.

This is the problem that occurs when everything is called racist. I would estimate that 90 to 95 percent of what is called racist actually isn't. This racist/racism noise, be it from someone like Smolett which is damaging in so many ways or from someone saying that all cops are racist, makes people turn a blind eye to actual racism. Blackface is actual racism.
Shiver me timbers. So PREJUDICE is not RACISM

Because I can tell you that were I to dress up as Cheech, my wife's family would be pissed at my racism
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #55
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Shiver me timbers. So PREJUDICE is not RACISM

Because I can tell you that were I to dress up as Cheech, my wife's family would be pissed at my racism
Well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #56
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

racism, bigotry and prejudice are often conflated. i believe it is because the definition is muddled by individuals resorting to everything being offensive and simply referring to that action or incident as "racist".
Appreciate 3
City Pig6130.00
MKSixer18410.00

09-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #57
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
UPDATE:

A photo of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in brownface swept the internet Wednesday night. Then, we got a second photo of the leader in blackface back in high school.

He promised there were no more.

It appears that he lied.

Global News has just shared an exclusive video it obtained showing the prime minister donned in racist makeup yet again. The image is blurry, but you can see Trudeau waving his arms in the air and sticking his tongue out.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/j...ownface-video/

Le Press in Montreal is reporting there is likely more pictures of the virtue signaller in chief wearing blackface.....
Appreciate 1
Run Silent12788.50

09-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #58
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
I've met many racists in my life. I don't think you know them.
Must be very diffent culture out west, in the East I think i only ran into one guy who was a bigot but I never ran into someone that clearly felt they are superior to me or anyone simple because of their race or culture.
Appreciate 1
City Pig6130.00

09-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #59
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:
I've met many racists in my life. I don't think you know them.
Must be very diffent culture out west, in the East I think i only ran into one guy who was a bigot but I never ran into someone that clearly felt they are superior to me or anyone simple because of their race or culture.
Maybee. I'm pretty sure there are racists on the east, west, north and south. I guess that's another good way to take a jab at California. Novel I'll give you that

I did also notice that ppl who are bigots or racists themselves a lot of times say racism doesn't exist and don't see it. I'm not saying that about you, I don't know you at all. But I'm saying that generally.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #60
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Maybee. I'm pretty sure there are racists on the east, west, north and south. I guess that's another good way to take a jab at California. Novel I'll give you that

I did also notice that ppl who are bigots or racists themselves a lot of times say racism doesn't exist and don't see it. I'm not saying that about you, I don't know you at all. But I'm saying that generally.
Well racism is the belief that you are superior due to your race which i can say i never ran into directly, some race movements like blm have undertone of it but I don't believe they are full blown racist, just misinformed and misguilded.

Now a bigot is just someone who dislike a person because of many reason, the world has plenty of those

And someone who discriminate is someone who choose not to associate with someone for various reasons, which all of us are guilty of.
Appreciate 1
City Pig6130.00

09-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #61
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

On the one hand I find it pretty funny. Nice costume. Normally I wouldn't be offended, and I'm the same race as those turbaned guys in the photos.

But on the other hand, he's another typical liberal hypocrite. The media will pretend to be offended for a few days then "praise" him for apologizing and forget about it.

I really don't think it's a big deal, but the fact that he and the mainstream media always raise their noses at these types of things yet also do the same shit or worse is disturbing.

09-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #62
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11 740d/X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
racism, bigotry and prejudice are often conflated. i believe it is because the definition is muddled by individuals resorting to everything being offensive and simply referring to that action or incident as "racist".
I don't think the issue here is that Trudeau is a racist or a bigot, it's that he has well and truly been hoisted by his own petard.

It's the sanctimonious virtue signalling like the educating of people on live TV for not being "woke" enough and using a perfectly acceptable phrase such as mankind etc....he's an utter hypocrite.

Oh and news flash Justin, no one cares about your privilege, you even make that sound like a brag.
Germanauto3892.00

09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #63
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
'I am Justin Trudeau', jokes Sir Lenny Henry https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49769178

Kinda funny......

09-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #64
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

And in typical leftist fashion, Justin fails to take any responsibility.... Instead he blames is on his "privileged" upbringing.

"I've always acknowledged that I come from a place of privilege but now I need to acknowledge that that comes with a massive blindspot," he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/justin...d-racist-image
Appreciate 5
Zugzwang1194.00
City Pig6130.00
MKSixer18410.00
NickyC5573.50
Wills26059.50

09-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #65
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

And in typical leftist fashion, lets not talk about blackface because today he announced if elected a ban on "Military style Assault Rifles", with a buy back program. He will also allow municipalities to ban handguns.....hows that going in Chicago?

Although, the first 10 questions after this announcement were about Blackface.
Appreciate 3
Delta03117378.00
MKSixer18410.00
NickyC5573.50

09-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #66
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
And in typical leftist fashion, lets not talk about blackface because today he announced if elected a ban on "Military style Assault Rifles", with a buy back program.
If only his makeup had been this transparent.
MKSixer18410.00
City Pig6130.00
Delta03117378.00