08-24-2023, 08:06 AM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Back in 1976 I was stationed in the Navy on Guam. I had lived in the western Pacific for years and had experienced many typhoons. I think we had two "super typhoons" that year and the first one was no big deal. I got jaded and figured I didn't need to panic for the second one.

We lived on base in a little two story duplex made of concrete block and had floor to ceiling louvers everywhere to handle the tropical heat. Most of my neighbors got 4x8 plywood sheets to cover their windows; old hand Llarry said "Pfft! No big deal!"

It was a real big deal! The typhoon came right over the island, I actually (against all expert cautions) went outside in the eye of the storm as the wind temporarily moderated. The first half of the storm came from the front of the house, with 180 mph winds and heavy, heavy rain hitting those louvered windows and being driven though them. The water was coming in the louvers, being blown up to the ceiling and running down the wall on the other side of the room. I'd estimate the wind inside the house was 60 mph.

The only room in the house that did not have standing water was the bathroom. Oh, and we had a 3-month old baby. The power was out for a week and the phone for two weeks. That was the last time I ignored a storm warning!
Lesson learned, huh?

Even though we don't usually get rain and wind like you did that time, I always try to prepare; sandbags, pumps ready to go, whatever it takes. Much easier to put that stuff away if nothing happens than to clean up water and mud damage if it gets bad.