Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #1
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Building a wood ramp for kids - recommendations on pressure treated vs ?

So, as it happens with things, there has been enormous scope creep in the project I've undertaken.

I originally set out to build some sort of platform for the kids to stand on so they can use a zipline that I plan on attaching to two trees.

This has morphed into a freestanding 4 post structure that will be 9 feet tall and an 8x8 platform with footings...not only that, my wife has also thought it might be great to attach a slide and a fireman pole to it as well. Which we are looking into sourcing.

But the one thing I wanted to add to it is a ramp to the top with the idea that in the summer, they can run up the ramp to return the zipline, but mostly, in the winter, they can sled down the ramp and get some decent speed to go through some sort of bobsled course I'll set up with berms and that in our front yard.

So, my thought was to use pressure treated plywood for the ramp, but do you think that will hold up to repeated wet / dry cycles and snow / rain for many seasons or should I be looking at something else? I've heard something about marine grade plywood, but haven't been able to find any at the moment.

Also, if there are any really good ideas about how to best build the ramp for the cheapest cost, I'm all ears. I'm going to have to support it at least once, but probably in two sections since this is going to be at least an 18 foot ramp I figure.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Lol, check if you need a building permit for that. I'd start with a sketch and try to dimension things out as best you can. It will be easier to put together a material list from there.

Maybe look into what people use to build wheelchair ramps (I'm assuming yours would have a steeper slope).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

PT joist frame, and PT deck boards horizontally.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917400.50
      06-29-2023, 01:24 PM   #4
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Yes, everything to date is pressure treated wood...just not sure if pressure treated plywood will hold up and resist rot in Canadian climate with snow and that. Probably be the way I go unless anyone else has some bright ideas.

So far I dug and poured the footings, have the four posts sitting in the saddle I put in the concrete footing, have a 3ply beam running front and back made out of 2x10's and I've just put up 45 degree braces all corners to tighten everything up.

I'm hoping once our guests leave on Sunday afternoon to cut and install the joists and then on Monday perhaps throw the decking on without railings as I have no idea yet where the railings will go until we figure out what is going on this thing.

If I can get that accomplished this weekend, then next weekend I can maybe actually run the zipline up and they can be playing on it. I have a 145 foot zip run.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The kids will probably outgrow it before the pressure-treated wood rots.....
      06-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #6
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The kids will probably outgrow it before the pressure-treated wood rots.....
Including the plywood? I'm not worries about the rest of the PT on the frame, its more the PT plywood ramp since it will be at a 45 angle or so and bearing weight...think with rain / snow it would rot or I would get a good 10 years out of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Could you build it with PT planks instead of plywood?

I have no idea how PT plywood ages, but would suggest just building it in a way that it can be easily replaced if/when it rots.

How will the sledders get up to the platform in the winter if the ramp is covered with ice/snow?????
      06-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #8
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
I'd use some sort of Decking for the ramp like vinyl or composite. Sledding will mark it up, but who cares it will work better than wood wich will splinter.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      06-29-2023, 04:05 PM   #9
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Yes, everything to date is pressure treated wood...just not sure if pressure treated plywood will hold up and resist rot in Canadian climate with snow and that. Probably be the way I go unless anyone else has some bright ideas.

So far I dug and poured the footings, have the four posts sitting in the saddle I put in the concrete footing, have a 3ply beam running front and back made out of 2x10's and I've just put up 45 degree braces all corners to tighten everything up.

I'm hoping once our guests leave on Sunday afternoon to cut and install the joists and then on Monday perhaps throw the decking on without railings as I have no idea yet where the railings will go until we figure out what is going on this thing.

If I can get that accomplished this weekend, then next weekend I can maybe actually run the zipline up and they can be playing on it. I have a 145 foot zip run.
The glue in Plywood hates the rain.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 06:40 PM   #10
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Could you build it with PT planks instead of plywood?

I have no idea how PT plywood ages, but would suggest just building it in a way that it can be easily replaced if/when it rots.

How will the sledders get up to the platform in the winter if the ramp is covered with ice/snow?????
Maybe...though I suspect that could be expensive and heavy. In terms of getting up there, haven't yet clued my wife in that I'll likely need a set of stairs at the back...

I could do a ladder pretty cheap, but not sure the kids could manage a ladder plus their sled...well, maybe they could. Just wrap around their arm or something...hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
The glue in Plywood hates the rain.
Yes, I'm worried about that. Especially at $100+ per board. Though if I can locate this "marine grade" plywood, I would suppose water doesn't matter much to it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      06-30-2023, 05:38 PM   #11
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
He'll be dusting off his homeowner's policy soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #12
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Circling back to give an update, the fireman pole got the axe (so punny I am) but my wife did manage to find a guy to make an aluminum slide to fit, so we did get that.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out, I'll probably add a top railing over the slide so kids can't easily fall out, and a wooden ladder at the back to replace the metal one, but that's about it.

Kids are enjoying the zipline which is nice to see. The run is about 144 feet, so a decent run. I've gone down it a few times, long as you get your feet up you can get to the end, but your butt is mere inches from the ground what with the slack in the line. Once the kids get heavier, I'll have to get that tightened up, but right now it is perfect for them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
vreihen1615268.00
shimmy232350.00
      09-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

My god that slide, I grew up in the far west suburbs of Sydney where it can be Arizona hot, the ass burning on those things, so vivid.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      09-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #14
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
My god that slide, I grew up in the far west suburbs of Sydney where it can be Arizona hot, the ass burning on those things, so vivid.
Well this slide is a heck of a lot closer, come visit, wear shorts and you can burn your butt going down it, maybe it will make you feel like you almost visited home at a price even you can't complain about.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615268.00
Esteban43733.00