Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #111
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
How many of you guys do cardio AFTER you lift? I read somewhere that you're not lifting hard enough if you still have energy for cardio afterwards, but everyone's goals are different I suppose. What are the benefits of post-lift cardio?
I usually do cardio after weights, but on some days i simply do not have the energy.

So yes, i would agree with that statement.
Would definitely agree with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #112
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So, much like with proper mechanics lifting, I'm finding sometimes while running I just need to stop, walk for a bit, and get a decent/good form back. My time may suffer, but my joints will thank me afterwards.

In general, do you want to hear a simple bit of advice when you are working out, if someone is observing your form? I can't decide whether or not to offer it up when I am right next to people.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #113
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I don’t want to hear anything, especially when my ear buds are in and I’m in the zone. Breaking out of that zone, pausing my music and popping an ear bud pisses me off royally. Hard enough to do that when I run into a friend at the gym let alone someone with “YouTube” advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #114
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

And for this reason I bite my tongue when observing bad form.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #115
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

What's a good point to stop cutting?

I started at 180 lbs, 17% BF and am now at 171 lbs after 4 weeks. Maintained most of my strength but definitely feel smaller. It was necessary as I got rekkt in the fall and winter from a lot of travel and subsequent weight gain.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #116
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

^Agree with Rudi.

Light cardio before I lift to warm up, heavy cardio following my lift. Only time I agree with OPs second statement is on leg day, and even then I do cardio. Any other day if "you don't have enough energy to cardio because you lifted too hard" then that is nothing but an excuse not to do cardio. You could do it, you could give it your all, but you're too tired? Just a bunch of bullshit lol.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #117
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

How bout I dont wanna, priority x10 goes to weights or I'm bored and wanna waste time I will do a bit of cardio.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #118
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
How bout I dont wanna, priority x10 goes to weights or I'm bored and wanna waste time I will do a bit of cardio.
I’m with 1MM, other then a 3-5 min warm up strength comes first. I knock out my big stuff and focus my energy on that. I finish my training with some sort of Metabolic conditioning.

I will work in certain training days that are purely conditioning sessions and even active recovery days. Track day (sprints) swim day, weighted vest runs (2-5 miles). Variety is key for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #119
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

after a good heavy leg workout I do about 15 min of cardio whether it's the treadmill, elyptical or running around the track. I forgot who I got that from but it suppose to help with a leg workout recovery that way you're not sore as f the next day.

on a side note had a pretty awesome shoulder workout where my shoulders felt like the skin was gonna explode!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #120
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
What's a good point to stop cutting?

I started at 180 lbs, 17% BF and am now at 171 lbs after 4 weeks. Maintained most of my strength but definitely feel smaller. It was necessary as I got rekkt in the fall and winter from a lot of travel and subsequent weight gain.
Honestly....it depends on where you want to be at. That's where an extra pair of eyes come in....from an honest friend, etc. What's your BF now? If you've maintained strength...then your doing it correctly. I would continue cutting until I saw a distinctive change in strength levels.

My limit in the off season is 12%. I carry my bodyfat evenly distributed, so at 12% I have a "4-pack" and the line of my obliques showing.

I think everyone should get to at least 10% or less at least once, then you can set your bulk / cut schedule according to that. The first time is the hardest. But when I'm in a gaining mode, I make sure all I can physically pinch is subcutaneous fat.

With me...12% in the winter and around 7% in the summer. I feel like you should always be within your preferred lean look with only 6-8 weeks of dieting.

You're going to feel smaller....everyone does. I always feel smaller when cutting, but often get told it looks like I'm gaining weight or putting on more muscle.

It's an illusion and a mind game for sure.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      02-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #121
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How many of you guys do cardio AFTER you lift? I read somewhere that you're not lifting hard enough if you still have energy for cardio afterwards, but everyone's goals are different I suppose. What are the benefits of post-lift cardio?

When bulking, I do about 15 minutes of HIIT cardio before my workout. It warms me up, plus wakes me up as I go around 3:30am.

When cutting, I save cardio for their own separate days as I'm not wanting to do anything that cuts into my weight training session.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #122
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Also, to add to what Rmtt said, it is never a good idea to do cardio before a workout (unless strength gain is not your goal). I always reserve walking, jogging (SSIT, or HIIT) for last. But with extremely heavy lifting I have found running hampers my recovery. But we are are built differently; so I'd try running at the end of the work out, and change it up after sometime if you like the idea of running before lifting.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #123
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
I don’t want to hear anything, especially when my ear buds are in and I’m in the zone. Breaking out of that zone, pausing my music and popping an ear bud pisses me off royally. Hard enough to do that when I run into a friend at the gym let alone someone with “YouTube” advice.
I'm not talking about "you need to move your wrist 2" out, then bring in your hips and push there." I just want to tell some of the younger ones I see, doing ANY standing lift with their knees locked, to break that knee and take the weight in their thighs, to protect their back.

Oh, and when I started lifting, only DARPA had access to the internet
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #124
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
When bulking, I do about 15 minutes of HIIT cardio before my workout. It warms me up, plus wakes me up as I go around 3:30am.

When cutting, I save cardio for their own separate days as I'm not wanting to do anything that cuts into my weight training session.
Exactly my approach to it too. Except I keep HIIT for off days and walk on a treadmill for 5 mins to warm up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #125
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

On the topic of gloves .... I wear a pair when doing upper-body lifts except pull-ups. Most of the folks I see at my gym do not wear them so about a month ago I even googled to see if gloves were "no longer a thing", saw a few opinions across the board and figured who cares, I'll continue to wear mine. Yesterday however after reading this thread, I decided to give it a try and do my incline db press w/o gloves ... The db knurls were so deep and abrasive, I could not do a single push because I'd have to have one big ass callus on my whole palm not to feel it.

Hats off to you folks who do not use gloves.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #126
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Medium reps, medium weight, never go to failure. Work out 90-120 minutes everyday for over 20 years now, never sore. It's the reps and volume, every day (farmers' strength). Heavy weights stroke egos and wreck bodies. Nobody will ever convince me that you go to failure on every workout and take days off, and I think the crossfit guys are completely out of their minds.

What are gloves btw lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #127
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
On the topic of gloves .... I wear a pair when doing upper-body lifts except pull-ups. Most of the folks I see at my gym do not wear them so about a month ago I even googled to see if gloves were "no longer a thing", saw a few opinions across the board and figured who cares, I'll continue to wear mine. Yesterday however after reading this thread, I decided to give it a try and do my incline db press w/o gloves ... The db knurls were so deep and abrasive, I could not do a single push because I'd have to have one big ass callus on my whole palm not to feel it.

Hats off to you folks who do not use gloves.
Zam....try hand covers instead of gloves. Gymnast use them. Also a lot of CrossFit ppl use them. I have a few pairs for doing anything high rep on pull up bar. But they will work for regular lifts also. They will let you hands breath more and are thinner then gloves.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #128
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Medium reps, medium weight, never go to failure. Work out 90-120 minutes everyday for over 20 years now, never sore. It's the reps and volume, every day (farmers' strength). Heavy weights stroke egos and wreck bodies. Nobody will ever convince me that you go to failure on every workout and take days off, and I think the crossfit guys are completely out of their minds.

What are gloves btw lol.
I agree to a point (see below).....but disagree about heavy weights wrecking bodies. If you have a program that you follow that progressively allows you to add weight to the bar over a period of time, you will build up to some decent amount of weight.

In my mind, heavy weight with bad exercise form and not training the assisting muscles is what causes injuries. What is considered heavy for one guy may be considered light for someone else.

I've been training 20+ years now as well. In my prime I have squatted and deadlifted 5 plates + change, benched 4 plates, and I have never had an injury. Plus I'm probably one of the best looking 45 years old you might see if carrying any appreciable muscle is your "thing"!

But seriously, as long as you are happy with your approach...more power to you. I personally like to test my limits and would put my functional strength against anyone in a contest.

I will admit as I have gotten older, I have cut back the weight some and increased the reps, but my program is still centered around progression...this time with volume instead of amount of weight.

For example...this morning my last set of Bench was 295 X 10. But in a few weeks I will be back in the 3-5 rep range, and continue doing what I have been doing for the last 10+ years that actually made a change in my body's appearance.

It isn't the 405lb single I did a few years ago, but using a rep calculator puts my 1RM theoretically at 393 lbs.

I agree about Crossfit. Most of these people doing this type of training never got a proper introduction to training with weights and learning how to set their body up to properly work out. To me that's an injury waiting to happen.
      02-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #129
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Back on the glove topic? Like I said earlier in this thread im just not a fan of the look. I understand their function, but half the time people just wear the gear to look the part.

I know a few people mentioned keeping their hands soft for business, I'm a little stumped by this one. I contribute rough hands to hard work, soft hands obviosulty the opposite. Maybe I just dont have proper business etiquett?

That said my line of work isn't 100% business oriented, but I constantly meet with vendors, contractors, etc.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17344.50
      02-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #130
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Back on the glove topic? Like I said earlier in this thread im just not a fan of the look. I understand their function, but half the time people just wear the gear to look the part.

I know a few people mentioned keeping their hands soft for business, I'm a little stumped by this one. I contribute rough hands to hard work, soft hands obviosulty the opposite. Maybe I just dont have proper business etiquett?

That said my line of work isn't 100% business oriented, but I constantly meet with vendors, contractors, etc.
Same here....I have never worn gloves. Oddly enough...my hands aren't overly rough and I have put them through hell.
      02-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #131
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I need a fourth exercise to round out my cable pull-downs for lats. I do behind the head, in front, and a stiff-armed while standing.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #132
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Bent row, t bar row, dont do all your back moves in the same plane. I do low pull, mid and high every time I do back.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-28-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0