BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #177
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

And make sure your camera (or cell phone) has a fully charged battery for lots of photos. We're all living vicariously through you, so would appreciate you documenting the whole process of picking up the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #178
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Don't want to jinx it, but I'm fairly certain my car will be on a boat by Monday. It's been "Production Complete, Awaiting Carrier" since 08/12/14. Almost 2 weeks to move it the 260 miles to the port seems reasonable. i3s have been taking 6-10 days from completion to on a boat so maybe that's a good indication. What's going to be frustrating is that I've also seen where cars have been on a boat for 4 days before the status even changes from "Quality Check"/"Production Complete, Awaiting carrier" to "In Transit, Released to Carrier". The "Integrity" leaves Sunday and the "Tulane" Leaves Monday. Fingers still crossed. (And maybe if I say it enough it will come true)

Last edited by Carac; 08-21-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #179
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Don't want to jinx it, but I'm fairly certain my car will be on a boat by Monday. It's been "Production Complete, Awaiting Carrier" since 08/12/14. Almost 2 weeks to move it the 260 miles to the port seems reasonable. i3s have been taking 6-10 days from completion to on a boat so maybe that's a good indication. What's going to be frustrating is that I've also seen where cars have been on a boat for 4 days before the status even changes from "Quality Check"/"Production Complete, Awaiting carrier" to "In Transit, Released to Carrier". The "Integrity" leaves Sunday and the "Tulane" Leaves Monday. Fingers still crossed. (And maybe if I say it enough it will come true)
There may be a way to check to see if the car is on a ship that is more up to date than the info BMWNA provides. Enter your VIN in the Cargo ID box and the W&W site (https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage) will tell you if your car is on a ship and the ship's name. I plan to check this weekend, as I'm hoping my car is on the ship that departs Bremerhaven on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #180
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well that escalated quickly. My car went

Status 160 (Vehicle Handover to Sales) at 4:53am
Status 181 (Vehicle handover to distributor) at 4:54am
Status 182 (Handover to carrier/load assignment) at 4:59am.

No ship name in the system yet, but it's entering the country in New Jersey instead of the usual Baltimore route and there's a boat from Bremerhaven to Port of New Jersey/NY leaving tomorrow... Here's hoping that's the last hurdle to making it across and to the dealer. No guarantee there isn't going to be a hold once it gets stateside. Time will tell.

Last edited by Carac; 08-25-2014 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #181
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that escalated quickly. My car went

Status 160 (Vehicle Handover to Sales) at 4:53am
Status 181 (Vehicle handover to distributor) at 4:54am
Status 182 (Handover to carrier/load assignment) at 4:59am.

No ship name in the system yet, but it's entering the country in New Jersey instead of the usual Baltimore route and there's a boat from Bremerhaven to Port of New Jersey/NY leaving tomorrow... Here's hoping that's the last hurdle to making it across and to the dealer. No guarantee there isn't going to be a hold once it gets stateside. Time will tell.
Carac, as I recall, your car finished production around the same time as mine (my date was Aug. 6). Checked with my dealer today, and the status shown on his system is still 155 (assembly finish/quality check). The BMWNA hotline message is "production complete, waiting for release to carrier". The next ship headed for the west coast doesn't leave until Sept. 6 arriving in Port Hueneme on Oct. 1, so looks like I still have a ways to go.

BTW, how are you getting such detailed info on your car's status (e.g. time of day when it changes status code)?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #182
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Carac, as I recall, your car finished production around the same time as mine (my date was Aug. 6). Checked with my dealer today, and the status shown on his system is still 155 (assembly finish/quality check). The BMWNA hotline message is "production complete, waiting for release to carrier". The next ship headed for the west coast doesn't leave until Sept. 6 arriving in Port Hueneme on Oct. 1, so looks like I still have a ways to go.

BTW, how are you getting such detailed info on your car's status (e.g. time of day when it changes status code)?
The "Vehicle Inquiry: Status" page on my dealer's system. Some status levels have a time in addition to the date. Depending on the veracity of this "hitting every dealer within 24 hours" we may end up getting them at the same time anyway...also, W&W runs ships that aren't on that schedule, so it may still make it earlier than you think.

I'm just curious when they consider it "released to carrier", when it gets on the train/truck in transit to the port or when it's actually handed off to the shipping company, at the port. I think it means the port.

Last edited by Carac; 08-25-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #183
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

that's awesome - excited for you!

just spoke with my dealer and mine is in 155 still, so maybe the fact that yours has moved along means that ours will soon, too!

LEt us know as you hear more!

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #184
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
just spoke with my dealer and mine is in 155 still, so maybe the fact that yours has moved along means that ours will soon, too!

LEt us know as you hear more!
My guess would be that they are only updating when the car is about to be loaded for transport. Since you and drlonline are on Central and Western deliveries I'm going to assume you'll see the same status change a day or so before a ship picks yours up. Again, hopefully this means things are moving forward. Based on past experience, it will probably make it to N.J. and have a hold until everyone's arrives stateside...but you never know. Maybe they'll just end up doing it by region so that all the dealers supplied by a single port get theirs at the same time. I guess they could sync all the ports and schedule truck departures to have them all arrive about the same time nationwide...but it seems more likely from a logistics standpoint that they attempt it on a per region basis.

My sales guy said he's going the keep checking the next few days to see if a ship name gets attached.

Last edited by Carac; 08-25-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #185
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The "Vehicle Inquiry: Status" page on my dealer's system. Some status levels have a time in addition to the date. Depending on the veracity of this "hitting every dealer within 24 hours" we may end up getting them at the same time anyway...also, W&W runs ships that aren't on that schedule, so it may still make it earlier than you think.

I'm just curious when they consider it "released to carrier", when it gets on the train/truck in transit to the port or when it's actually handed off to the shipping company, at the port. I think it means the port.
Carac, my dealer sent me the system status info, and on the "Holds" line it indicates "Release". Does your status sheet also show this hold?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #186
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List

I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #187
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very interesting. Now I'm wondering why my car has a "release" hold on it (see below). This thing gets more mysterious the more we try to understand it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #188
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:
Very interesting. Now I'm wondering why my car has a "release" hold on it (see below). This thing gets more mysterious the more we try to understand it.
To add to the confusion, mine is still status 150 but against "Hold" it has "Release" Dealer can get no answers from BMWNA. His opinion is that there most likely will be a coordinated 24 hour release as in the past.
Unless my status data is wrong my car by sea cannot be here earlier than very early October. Equally irritating, they have all my money because of the Ferrari trade !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #189
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just spoke to a contact I have at BMWNA and while he didn't have definitive info on the hold, he indicated from his past experience that a "release" hold is to ensure the cars are delivered around the same time, an explanation consistent with what we've heard on this blog. Of course, this doesn't explain how Carac's car has had the hold removed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #190
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
It is odd. The only logical thing I can think of is that they are ready to start shipping them over for launch and the first boat is NYC/NJ bound, so they've started finalizing prep to ship them and releasing them by destination port. Anyone else on here have a Northeastern US bound i8 they can check the status on?

As I said previously, a nationwide "everyone gets theirs within 24 hours" launch seems like a borderline impossible, logistical nightmare that would cost much more in time, effort, and money than would ever be gained by doing so...but a launch broken up by region/port would be much more feasible. i.e. Someone hoping to "be first" on the block/city to have their i8 would be much more perturbed about the dealership across town getting theirs weeks before you, but does it matter if someone 3000 miles away got theirs? If that were the case, they would be having a come-apart that people in Europe already have theirs.

I mean, think of what it would take. All ports of entry talking to one another, synchronizing watches. Sitting down, assigning each car on a route...but no car on a route where there is more than 24 hours between the first drop and, not only any other drop on that route, but any drop of any car anywhere else in the US. I'm talking if they are SERIOUS about no dealer getting their more than 24 hours before or after another. Other synchronized launches are more "we're holding them all until we hit critical mass, then we're releasing them together, but their actual time of arrival is solely dependent on transit time." I believe that's how the Z8 launch went. The cars were held until the first batch was done then they were shipped together. I don't think they got as granular as timing truck departures from ports nationwide.

Regardless, it would be nice for the US manager of BMW i to come out and say what their plans are so those of us with fairly busy work and travel schedules can try and plan around the delivery.

MYBMW updated as well.

Last edited by Carac; 08-26-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #191
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carac, did I understand your last post to indicate the tracking on MYBMW is now showing your car as "En Route to US", which is the next step after "Production ends"? If so, it sounds like the tracking had a fairly short lag behind the actual status.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #192
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Carac, did I understand your last post to indicate the tracking on MYBMW is now showing your car as "En Route to US", which is the next step after "Production ends"? If so, it sounds like the tracking had a fairly short lag behind the actual status.
My tracking had never progressed past "Production Begins" on the site but now reads that it has "left the plant and is ready to ship." The hotline says "Production Complete, Car released to Carrier". So the delay is still present, but it doesn't appear as though there's anything in the way of it being loaded on a ship. I probably won't know for a day or so if it made it on the NYC/NJ bound ship that was leaving today, my sales guy appears to be interested as I am with what's happening and is checking regularly. The next proper W&W ship after today's is next Tuesday, but one of their subsidiaries may get it before then.

Last edited by Carac; 08-26-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #193
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My tracking had never progressed past "Production Begins" on the site but now reads that it has "left the plant and is ready to ship." The hotline says "Production Complete, Car released to Carrier". So the delay is still present, but it doesn't appear as though there's anything in the way of it being loaded on a ship. I probably won't know for a day or so if it made it on the NYC/NJ bound ship that was leaving today, my sales guy appears to be interested as I am with what's happening and is checking regularly. The next proper W&W ship after today's is next Tuesday, but one of their subsidiaries may get it before then.
On the MYBMW tracking, I don't see an entry on the bar chart that reads "left the plant and is ready to ship". Is yours different than mine (see image below)? Perhaps the text on the chart changes depending on the status.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #194
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
It's the mouseover text for Production complete. The woman I talked to at customer service said it was either in transit to the port or being loaded on a ship, unable to tell until a ship name is added.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #195
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Glad to see someone has finally gotten beyond the Production begins phase on the chart.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #196
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Another possibility for why cars that finished first are being released later may be because of how serious they are getting with Quality Check. I've heard from multiple places that QC on the i8 is unlike anything they've done before. They want these cars PERFECT when they leave the factory. Minimal panel gaps, perfect paint, minimal squeaks and rattles (in e-Drive every little noise is more noticeable), etc. It would also explain why they're staying at the factory for so long instead of a hold at the port. Also, the sample size (4-5 US cars?) on this forum is a little small to make any definitive conclusions. I'm eager to see movement on your end as well. We're all past ready for deliveries to start.

Last edited by Carac; 08-26-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #197
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Hotline now says "Your vehicle is being transported to the Port of Exit."

Last edited by Carac; 08-27-2014 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #198
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My hotline message says "You're screwed, but we won't tell you why. Instead, we will keep you thinking that your car is finished and ready to ship to you when in fact we lost your order and don't know when we can arrange another car for you. Press one if you want to repeat this message, otherwise have a nice day".
Appreciate 0